PDA

View Full Version : educational discount...?

iMJustAGuy
Apr 4, 2008, 10:53 PM
So I am looking to buy my first mac (macbook) at a local applestore. I was wondering if they can give you the educational discount there too and not just the online store... Sorry if this is a stupid question.

Aperture
Apr 4, 2008, 10:55 PM
Yes, you'll have to provide a student ID, though.

atluten
Apr 4, 2008, 10:55 PM
You can get the educational discount in store but they will most likely ask for proof of your status. An ID card or possibly a class schedule may be sufficient. Cheers.

aethelbert
Apr 4, 2008, 11:30 PM
Yeah, you can get the discount at the stores. I would suggest, though, that you wait until the free iPod deal starts for students, probably in early June. Additionally to what others have said, you can also show a letter of acceptance to the school. Good luck with your first mac and welcome to the not-so-dark side!

SFStateStudent
Apr 5, 2008, 12:15 AM
Picture ID, School ID, or sign in to your school email account. These should suffice. Definitely not a stupid question. :cool:

Petoz
Apr 5, 2008, 04:45 AM
I was wondering that too before I got my first mac. But went down to the store on thursday, and got 14% off my new macbook as soon as I showed them my Uni Card. Brilliant!

Also, they give you loads off the AppleCare if you buy it when you get your mac. I got it for the macbook for only 47. It should be 199! The guy in the store said it would be worth buying, even if i were to sell it on ebay. But 3 year guarentee for only 47! I'm keeping it! I love my new new mac by the way.

Hope this helps.

logana
Apr 5, 2008, 11:26 AM
Also, they give you loads off the AppleCare if you buy it when you get your mac. I got it for the macbook for only 47. It should be 199! The guy in the store said it would be worth buying, even if i were to sell it on ebay. But 3 year guarentee for only 47! I'm keeping it! I love my new new mac by the way.

Hope this helps.

If you buy a Mac using Educational discount in the UK you get a 3 year guarantee anyway (full parts and labour) - I bet the guy never mentioned that !

ok it is not actually AppleCare but the differences are not really worth the 47 extra !!!

jesusplay
Apr 5, 2008, 04:21 PM
just oreder you mac from macmall.com

no tax their. and u get a 75 dollar mail in rebate..plus free shipping after rebate!

if you buy one at the apple tax willjust replace that 100 off discount so you will still be paying their listed price.

iMJustAGuy
Apr 5, 2008, 11:15 PM
just oreder you mac from macmall.com

no tax their. and u get a 75 dollar mail in rebate..plus free shipping after rebate!

if you buy one at the apple tax willjust replace that 100 off discount so you will still be paying their listed price.

True that but its Def better than paying the listed price PLUS tax;)

Petoz
Apr 6, 2008, 11:18 AM
If you buy a Mac using Educational discount in the UK you get a 3 year guarantee anyway (full parts and labour) - I bet the guy never mentioned that !

ok it is not actually AppleCare but the differences are not really worth the 47 extra !!!

He definitely didn't mention that. Oh well, I love my Macbook, and a full three year guarantee is good assurance to have. Can't complain. I saved enough with the education discount anyway.

Igantius
Apr 6, 2008, 12:54 PM
He definitely didn't mention that. Oh well, I love my Macbook, and a full three year guarantee is good assurance to have. Can't complain. I saved enough with the education discount anyway.

From what other posters have said on one or two other threads, the real advantage of the 47 uplift means that if you do have to send the machine off for repairs, Apple will pay the courier costs of sending it back. Otherwise, you pay to send it back or drop it off at a Apple Centre, which will send it off for you.

If you have any Apple Centre near you, this isn't much of an advantage - but if you do sell it, I think the full Applecare would be an advantage.

Applecare for laptops offers global coverage, and I've a feeling that the three-year educational warranty is confined to the UK. Again, this isn't going to be an issue for most - and I'm sure a definite answer is in an old thread about UK educational discounts if you're interested.