PDA

View Full Version : iTunes Gift Certificates now available on Online Apple Store

MacBytes
Nov 8, 2003, 11:12 PM
Category: Tunes
Link: iTunes Gift Certificates now available on Online Apple Store (http://store.apple.com)

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)

Approved by Mudbug

rogueimage
Nov 8, 2003, 11:23 PM
Anybody know if I can use my $20 Online Apple Store I got for renewing .Mac towards one of these certificates? That would be awesome!

The coupon says the order has to be more than $20, so I suppose I'd have to get a $30 certificate.

arn
Nov 9, 2003, 12:05 AM
You could also get $25 off $249 (http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2003/11/20031105123814.shtml) worth of songs...

Getting 251 songs for $224.

arn

macnews
Nov 9, 2003, 12:29 AM
Getting one for my wife. She isn't a big computer fan but she does love iTunes - and doesn't like the others that are out so far.

Jerry Spoon
Nov 9, 2003, 12:29 AM
Good job Apple. Now just make a paper version available in your brick and mortar stores and you'll be set.

Java
Nov 9, 2003, 12:56 AM
Originally posted by arn
You could also get $25 off $249 (http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2003/11/20031105123814.shtml) worth of songs...

Getting 251 songs for $224.

arn That is a lot of music

bidge
Nov 9, 2003, 01:05 AM
you can only go up to $200. I tried to order one and is says that for that item you still need a American Billing Address

gwuMACaddict
Nov 9, 2003, 01:37 AM
cool

ITR 81
Nov 9, 2003, 01:38 AM
Folks only need to get someone in the US to buy them for that person overseas..and that overseas person just pay the US person.

White Hawk
Nov 9, 2003, 02:53 AM
Yes, but does anyone know how to pay the person in the US the money from say, the UK without being charged for sending the money?

ITR 81
Nov 9, 2003, 03:19 AM
Not sure because your out money if you send it by mail and out money if sent by paypal or wire.

I guess if you don't want to pay extra to best solution would be just get a US credit card.

foniks2020
Nov 9, 2003, 04:26 AM
Originally posted by Java
That is a lot of music

I've got the smallest one 10 GB and 251 songs barely scratches the surface. I have about 20 albums on it and I've still got 8 GB left to fill... I can't even imagine who could fill up a 40 GB iPod with just music.

displaced
Nov 9, 2003, 06:40 AM
I tried purchasing from outside the US using a gift certificate kindly bought for me.

You can't do it.

Even when redeeming a certificate, you still have to set up an account -- including billing details. These are checked, and if you're not in the US, it won't work.

centauratlas
Nov 9, 2003, 06:55 AM
Originally posted by foniks2020
I can't even imagine who could fill up a 40 GB iPod with just music.

As of this morning, I have 11434 songs on iTunes (all legal from my own CDs and iTMS). It is about 94GB of music. I have to select what songs go on my 30GB iPod (not to mention my old 10GB iPod), it is easy to fill. ;-) I scanned all my CDs so that if they get damaged I can burn another, so I can use them with my iPod, with iTunes, and stream between machines in my house.

centauratlas
Nov 9, 2003, 06:55 AM
Apple needs to encourage its Mac users to buy gift certificates for Windows users for the holidays. It is a great viral way of getting Windows users to get iTunes.

alset
Nov 9, 2003, 07:09 AM
Tried to send a certificate to a fellow MR member in the UK - he hasn't received it. Let's hope this works.

Dan

edit: Wes might have made it work! I'll leave it to him to explain how to fake iTMS from other countries. w00t!!!!!!

Wes
Nov 9, 2003, 07:25 AM
ok, here is how you do it, you click redeem, enter your Apple ID.

It then asks for your credit card info, click the "None" radio button.

Now it wants a real zip code, state and city, which I'm sure our stateside macrumors members could give us, then BOOM! you are in!

Wes
Nov 9, 2003, 07:47 AM
It works!

alset
Nov 9, 2003, 07:48 AM
So nobody else is gonna test? Come on, kids! Our European friends need us!

Dan

displaced
Nov 9, 2003, 08:20 AM
a-ha!

Yep - that works :)

Now, what to buy.....

slavey
Nov 9, 2003, 08:40 AM
Originally posted by Wes
ok, here is how you do it, you click redeem, enter your Apple ID.

It then asks for your credit card info, click the "None" radio button.

Now it wants a real zip code, state and city, which I'm sure our stateside macrumors members could give us, then BOOM! you are in!

Here are a couple of vaild US address that can be used:

1 Infinite Loop
Cupertino CA 5014
(Apple Computer) :)

1600 Pensylvania Ave, NW
Washington DC 20500
(The White House) :)

martijnvandijk
Nov 9, 2003, 08:46 AM
redeeming works just fine outside the US. You will just have to fake a US address.

Problem now is that I am running out of credit (originally received 10$ from a friendly person in the US that I paid back using paypal)

So if anyone can be so kind as to send me another certificate, I will be legally downloading again...

Cheers,

Martijn

blueBomber
Nov 9, 2003, 08:55 AM
Originally posted by martijnvandijk
So if anyone can be so kind as to send me another certificate, I will be legally downloading again...

Cheers,

Martijn

Thats just it, since you're outside the U.S., you are NOT legally downloading.

I say don't push it to far people, Apple is likely to shut the whole Gift Certificates option down if it's too much of a problem (like the original option for sharing in itunes)

martijnvandijk
Nov 9, 2003, 09:24 AM
...conversely, Apple will use my case to show our music rights authorities that there are people so desperate to download legally, that they are willing to do all kinds of illegal things just to get there...

arn
Nov 9, 2003, 09:46 AM
Originally posted by martijnvandijk
...conversely, Apple will use my case to show our music rights authorities that there are people so desperate to download legally, that they are willing to do all kinds of illegal things just to get there...

heh....

more likely, Apple is within it's rights to deactivate all the music you've downloaded with any falsely provided US addresses.

(I don't actually think Apple will do this... but you never know)

arn

martijnvandijk
Nov 9, 2003, 09:57 AM
well, let's just hope that they will get us online asap...;)

Freg3000
Nov 9, 2003, 10:42 AM
This is a great move by Apple. Although most people are discussing the ability for international customers to now buy music from the iTMS, putting the certificates on the Apple Store is quite important as well.

If someone wanted a gift certificate for the iTMS for Christmas let's say. That person would only be able to ask for the certificate from a person who has downloaded iTunes, and set up an account to buy music. However, now on the Apple Store, it is just like any other online purchase. it makes it much easier for 70-year old Great Uncle Harry to send a gift certificate.

phantompigger
Nov 9, 2003, 11:03 AM
It's important to clarify something.

Purchasing content from the iTunes Music Store outside of the United States is not "illegal." You are not commiting a crime.

You are, however, violating the terms of service agreement. The only consequence of which is that your account may be suspended/terminated.

The reason that the sale of music is not permitted to consumers outside the country is because of agreements between music publishers and their foreign subsidiaries. Although the music publishers may share the same name in each country, they are distinct from one another and have separate licensing agreements with the artists for that jurisdiction.

These kinds of agreements are made all the time. It's done to protect the local economies. After all, if everyone in Canada bought music from the US, it would take a lot of money out of the Canadian economy and put many Canadian publishers out of business. (Apple actually has the same type of agreement with retailers for its computer systems. US retailers are forbidden from selling and sending Apple computers and accessories to customers in Canada.)

In the short term, Apple isn't likey to mount a campaign to cancel suspect accounts. People are clamoring to BUY music, so much so that they are willing to circumvent the terms of service to PAY. Sounds like a good problem to have, really. And I wouldn't be surprised if Apple is purposely turning a blind eye to this loophole.

Once the iTunes Music Store is available in other countries, things may change. Apple will want to encourage people to purchase music from their own country store rather than the US, and at that point, they may get tough with the rogue accounts.

pp

eyelikeart
Nov 9, 2003, 12:04 PM
I've already gotten one of these. ;)

chrisnturkey
Nov 9, 2003, 12:08 PM
Hi folks:

As a major music fan (8,811 songs in itunes -99% legal- not all of which fits in my 30G ipod) who lives outside the US, I can only look from time to time at all the music at the itunes music store which I would be happy to pay for ... if they would only let me!

So the thought of using a gift certificate to squeek around the user agreement thrills me (even though I would have to download it with a 56k modem).

That said, I live in Turkey which has a culture which has absolutely NO respect for copyright. You can buy DVD's, CD's and software at (ahem) discounted prices on any streetcorner and many shops, too. I work as a highschool teacher and I had a discussion about downloading music with some kids this week; they had no idea that it was even illegal.

Come on Apple, the world is not contained between LA and NY!:mad:

Here's hopin'

cjm

DeusOmnis
Nov 9, 2003, 12:09 PM
i need to get into this illegal music trafficing... lol

bennetsaysargh
Nov 9, 2003, 12:25 PM
at first when i saw the headline, i thought they were solid cards. argh. they need to make it solid, but that won';t happen until it's worldwide. :-(

GigaWire
Nov 9, 2003, 01:36 PM
So what if I am a legal US resident travelling abroad. I can buy from the store in say Sudan can't I?

Wes
Nov 9, 2003, 01:42 PM
Originally posted by GigaWire
So what if I am a legal US resident travelling abroad. I can buy from the store in say Sudan can't I?

Yes, as long as you have a US billing address.

centauratlas
Nov 9, 2003, 01:43 PM
Originally posted by chrisnturkey
Come on Apple, the world is not contained between LA and NY!:mad:

Here's hopin'

cjm

It is NOT Apple. They have to negotiate with all the *local* companies. I am sure Apple has a standard agreement modelled after the ones they already have, but until the other side (e.g. in Turkey, Canada etc) agrees they can't *legally* sell there.

The person to say "come on" to is the local record companies in the country you are concerned with.

kenaustus
Nov 9, 2003, 01:57 PM
You KNOW that Apple wants The Music Store everywhere. They want the market penetration and they want the revenues. Letting someone outside of the US download music is not difficult in terms of technology, keeping sales within the US is. Also, with the US Dollar down significantly the international revenues will actually be better than US sales for Apple.

When record companies, musicians & singers and governments outside of the US can get their act together and sign the papers you'll be able to buy from anywhere. There also will probably a mountain of lawyers around the world getting in a lot or billable hours "protecting" their clients. In addition, I would not be surprised to find that some are stalling to see if TMS is "the real thing" before signing the paper.

Hang in there - TMS store will get there eventually. As a short term solution for those without family/friends in the US: try looking around for Yanks around internet cafes close to hotels - we're not generally hard to spot . . . You hand them the cash, they buy you the certificate with their credit card and you can use their city, state & ZIP code. Just be sure to ALWAYS use the same city, state & ZIP code!

Dippo
Nov 9, 2003, 02:29 PM
I think that adding Apple gift cards to retail stores would be a great idea. Places that sell the iPod (like Target & BestBuy) could have the cards placed alongside the CDs or something.

People would be like "I didn't know what kinda music you like, so I just bought you a gift card for iTunes!"

I think that would be a good idea :confused:

donco
Nov 9, 2003, 03:41 PM
Originally posted by phantompigger
It's important to clarify something.

After all, if everyone in Canada bought music from the US, it would take a lot of money out of the Canadian economy and put many Canadian publishers out of business.

pp

And it would be kind of silly as CD's are MUCH cheaper here (Canada) anyway.

alset
Nov 9, 2003, 03:45 PM
Anyone who wants to buy from iTMS out of the US should feel free to contact me. I'll buy certifs for anyone who wants them at no markup.

Dan

mwjd299
Nov 9, 2003, 04:12 PM
This is my first post to the forums. I'm currently a Windows person, but will soon be a switcher. My computer won't run iTunes for Windows, so I will be purchasing an iMac shortly. I like the idea of the gift certificates for iTunes, but my question is, Can gift certificates for Apple retail stores be purchased online?
Thnaks for anyone who can help. I am going to purchase the iMac at an Apple retail store.

Dippo
Nov 9, 2003, 04:50 PM
Originally posted by mwjd299
This is my first post to the forums. I'm currently a Windows person, but will soon be a switcher. My computer won't run iTunes for Windows, so I will be purchasing an iMac shortly. I like the idea of the gift certificates for iTunes, but my question is, Can gift certificates for Apple retail stores be purchased online?
Thnaks for anyone who can help. I am going to purchase the iMac at an Apple retail store.

Yea, you can only buy them online.
At the moment, I don't think that you can buy them from the retail stores.

The link for the gift certificates at apple.com:

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore.woa/71308/wo/tc5Oy4TeX2Tr2LPvxMI1t20mv83/0.0.7.1.0.5.59.0.1.1.7.0.1.1.0

bennetsaysargh
Nov 9, 2003, 06:59 PM
i've talked to apple store managers almost everywhere i go, and they all say they want solid gift card.

argh on apple!

Nebrie
Nov 9, 2003, 07:05 PM
Originally posted by bidge
you can only go up to $200. I tried to order one and is says that for that item you still need a American Billing Address

You can add a $200 cert, then a $50 cert, then check out.

machan
Nov 9, 2003, 09:54 PM
well anyway....

i just got my sister a gift certificate for her new computer (a cheap dell from where she works...BOO!!!). and i did it throught the apple store web site. WOO HOO!!!

rogueimage
Nov 9, 2003, 10:48 PM
Originally posted by rogueimage
Anybody know if I can use my $20 Online Apple Store I got for renewing .Mac towards one of these certificates? That would be awesome!

The coupon says the order has to be more than $20, so I suppose I'd have to get a $30 certificate.

I tried gift certificate amounts all the way up to $200, and it just kept saying that I was only eligible for the rebate if my total was at least $20.01. As soon as I added an actual item over $20, it subtracted $20 from my total. I also tried adding the cheapest item I could find (about $7), to see if just having a physical item in the sale would trigger the discount, but it didn't. Apparently gift cards don't count towards the requisite $20.01 total. Bummer. I was excited to finally have something to use that rebate with, but, alas, it didn't work :mad:.

[edited for clarity]

TomSmithMacEd
Nov 10, 2003, 01:45 AM
I said it before in another thread. This gift certificate idea is good, but Napster has one uped iTMS with the gift cards they can buy at 16000 retail locations. Err I hope Napster fails. Long live iTunes!

KLFloyd
Nov 10, 2003, 04:53 AM
Originally posted by centauratlas
Apple needs to encourage its Mac users to buy gift certificates for Windows users for the holidays. It is a great viral way of getting Windows users to get iTunes.

Agreed.

I'd like to give several of my PC Friends gift certificates to the Music Store for Christmas..though I want them to receive them ON CHRISTMAS DAY.

I'd like to be ab le to buy the gift certificate ahead of time, set the date it will be delivered, then print out a copy of the cretificate and give that to them in either a card or a wrapped box.

Why is there no special "Give the Gift of Music" section that will allow me to do this? Am I missing something?

QuiteSure
Nov 10, 2003, 05:35 AM
I disagree that falsely using a US address to download music abroad isn't a crime. It certainly violates the federal wirefraud statutes. A zealous US Attorney could easily make the case.

As far as using the $20 .mac renewal certificate, I also tried to use it at the Apple Store for a gift certificate and failed.

This is OT, but here goes: I've been VERY disappointed with my inability to use the .mac gift certificate to obtain any real value at the Apple Store.

The first problem, obviously, is that everything at the Apple Store is extremely overpriced. I was going to buy a book on advanced FCP, but then found the book for $15 less at Amazon.

I can't combine it with any other offer (which, I think, is truly bogus; the only reason I got it in the first place was for purchasing an Apple product; to make me buy another Apple product to use it, when I can't get true value for it, is infuriating);

and I couldn't use it with my Panther upgrade (so THAT'S why they price it at 19.95!?)

I'm happy I renewed .mac, and I wouldn't have chosen any of the other giveaways, but there's no reason I shouldn't be able to use this for iTMS gift certificate.

MacSA
Nov 10, 2003, 06:07 AM
BORING BORING !!!

Change the name of this site to iTunes Rumors, some of this news might actually be interesting if it were not for the fact that iTunes is only available in one country.

MongoTheGeek
Nov 10, 2003, 08:28 AM
Originally posted by rogueimage
I tried gift certificate amounts all the way up to $200, and it just kept saying that I was only eligible for the rebate if my total was at least $20.01. As soon as I added an actual item over $20, it subtracted $20 from my total. I also tried adding the cheapest item I could find (about $7), to see if just having a physical item in the sale would trigger the discount, but it didn't. Apparently gift cards don't count towards the requisite $20.01 total. Bummer. I was excited to finally have something to use that rebate with, but, alas, it didn't work :mad:.

[edited for clarity]

There is a good reason for that. % discounts on gift certificates can lead to a heinous gaming of the system. A friend once got 10% off buying a gift certificate for some books(she wanted to get me a couple of books in the dark days before Amazon) She sent me the gift certificate and I used it with my 10% discount.

centauratlas
Nov 14, 2003, 05:28 PM
Originally posted by Dippo

The link for the gift certificates at apple.com:

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore.woa/71308/wo/tc5Oy4TeX2Tr2LPvxMI1t20mv83/0.0.7.1.0.5.59.0.1.1.7.0.1.1.0[/URL]

Is there actually a direct link for the gift certificates?

The closest I could find was:
http://www.apple.com/giftguide/music.html