Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Og Oggilby

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 27, 2005
Boston Area
Is it possible to run an ATI 3870 X2 1GB as the only video card on a 2007 Mac Pro if it is only used as a Windows machine?

Tallest Skil

macrumors P6
Aug 13, 2006
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
I believe that you have to have an OS X card to boot into so as to be able to get past the EFI bootloader and get to Windows. It's possible to use a 3870 x2 in a Mac Pro, I just think that you have to have an OS X card.

Og Oggilby

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 27, 2005
Boston Area
I believe that you have to have an OS X card to boot into so as to be able to get past the EFI bootloader and get to Windows. It's possible to use a 3870 x2 in a Mac Pro, I just think that you have to have an OS X card.

Thanks for the quick reply. So I could pick up a 7300GT (I have the 1900XT) and run it with a 3870?

pipomolo42

macrumors member
Aug 29, 2006
Hi,

For your info, I have a 2006 Mac Pro with a PC only 8800GTS card, and it works fine as a Windows/Linux machine.

You might want to keep a Mac OS X installation somewhere, to be able to do firmware updates, if any is available.

1/ using a EFI/Mac OS X card, install rEFIt, and configure it to boot your legacy OS first
2/ remove the EFI/OS X card, install your PC only card.
3/ reboot. The screen will stay blank during the EFI phase, but the PC vgabios will get executed once rEFIt boots the bootcamp EFI App

You can then chainload to a BIOS GRUB or LILO, to have a second boot selector, to choose among your different BIOS based OSes

If a firmware update is available for your machine, just plug the EFI/Mac OS card instead of the PC one, and reboot to Mac OS X through rEFIt's menu

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.