Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

markcres

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 30, 2006
UK
The lead story on MacRumors is something about Apple not wanting the 'FCC' to be the first to reveal iPhone.

Sorry.. but who or what is the FCC??

Could any acronyms used be expanded on at their first time use please?
I assume FCC is some US organisation - but MacRumors is read Worldwide - so we won't all automatically know what these organisational acronyms are!!

Thanks
Rant over!

redAPPLE

macrumors 68030
May 7, 2002
2 Much Infinite Loops
instead of ranting, why didn't you try to find out yourself? type in "fcc" in google and it would reveal the answer immediately...

i am not ranting about your rant, but maybe you need to try to educate yourself first, before asking mr to explain "everything" to you...

Eraserhead

macrumors G4
Nov 3, 2005
UK
I've created a [guide]Common acronyms[/guide] Mac Guide, with this and a few other common acronyms.

kwood

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2006
In the Great White North.
I've created a [guide]Common acronyms[/guide] Mac Guide, with this and a few other common acronyms.

You may also want to consider adding TiBook too, I know I had to look that one up when I first saws it. IMHO I don't like using acronyms BTW. AFAIK I only like ones that are for something official like the FCC or some technical term. But the internet language like "lol" or "brb" or "g2g" drives me nuts.

And yes putting those acronyms in this post hurt my inner child. My fingers burned as I typed them.

Eraserhead

macrumors G4
Nov 3, 2005
UK
^^ Added IMHO, BTW, and TiBook (which I had to look up to check), also added MB and MBP, CD (Core Duo) and C2D.

riscy

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2008
China
How about IMO, RAM, MBA, GHz, FF (Firefox), MTR, OO (Open Office) - not so common this one.

atszyman

macrumors 68020
Sep 16, 2003
The Dallas 'burbs
I'd advise staying out of the console games forum... I don't know of a thread, or even post that doesn't contain at least 6 different acronyms for various games.

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
Eraserhead - Not to give you more work, but I have another acronym that caught me out: "SR" for the Santa Rosa chipset found in the Apple laptops.

I don't know who started using it but even with Google I had a hard time figuring out such a niche market arconym.

I'd advise staying out of the console games forum... I don't know of a thread, or even post that doesn't contain at least 6 different acronyms for various games.

I have to admit I found that very irritating, and then caught myself using them.

Eraserhead

macrumors G4
Nov 3, 2005
UK
You can add them yourselves too ;). Go to Edit at the top and scroll down to the table, which begins with {| followed by some other formatting stuff.

Each entry of the table is divided by a |-. After the entry that should be the previous entry add a new line. Put a |- at the beginning. Then put the acronym, meaning and description on a following new line, each beginning with ||

i.e.

Code:
<<Last Acronym in alphabetical order>>
|-
||TAIQ
||The Acronym in Question
||An example Acronym to add to the table.

<<Next Acronym in alphabetical order, also begins with a '|-'>>

I have to admit I found that very irritating, and then caught myself using them.

Actually there is already an article on that [guide]Game acronyms[/guide].

EDIT: If its the last one, make sure its before the closing |} for the table ;).

riscy

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2008
China
I saw it was a wiki but assumed it was not open for edit - never assume :)

Made my changes for you.
Guys you know you can add them yourselves. Go to Edit at the top and scroll down to the table, which begins with {| followed by some other formatting stuff.

Each entry of the table is divided by a |-. After the entry that should be the previous entry add a new line. Put a |- at the beginning. Then put the acronym, meaning and description on a following new line, each beginning with ||

i.e.

Code:
<<Last Acronym in alphabetical order>>
|-
||TAIQ
||The Acronym in Question
||An example Acronym to add to the table.

<<Next Acronym in alphabetical order, also begins with a '|-'>>

StealthRider

macrumors 65816
Jan 23, 2002
Here and there!
Enjoy...
Goodness, between getting a new BnCO and BnXO, and having the BCOCO and PCO give me forty thousand things to do (FUBAR), I barely have time to read silly threads like this. Not my fault the OPSO is an OCS OC and thus a slavedriver. I'm just a 4/C, FCOL, this **** isn't really in my AOR.

...BOHICA!

Cepe Indicum

macrumors regular
Oct 11, 2006
Enjoyed reading this thread - some great responses! Feel a bit bad for the OP though :)

BT always annoys me on this forum. Most people use it as an abbreviation for Bluetooth, but here in the UK, BT is more commonly associated with "British Telecom" (as was; now known simply as BT) - they are the main telecoms provider and an ISP.

Eraserhead

macrumors G4
Nov 3, 2005
UK
For the win.

Enjoyed reading this thread - some great responses! Feel a bit bad for the OP though :)

BT always annoys me on this forum. Most people use it as an abbreviation for Bluetooth, but here in the UK, BT is more commonly associated with "British Telecom" (as was; now known simply as BT) - they are the main telecoms provider and an ISP.

Added both.

notjustjay

macrumors 603
Sep 19, 2003
Canada, eh?
I'm going to create a new organization called the American Association Against Annoying Alliterative Acronym Abuse.

You can all be charter members!

jbernie

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2005
Denver, CO
instead of ranting, why didn't you try to find out yourself? type in "fcc" in google and it would reveal the answer immediately...

i am not ranting about your rant, but maybe you need to try to educate yourself first, before asking mr to explain "everything" to you...

With all due respect, maybe you are one of the generations who don't undestand traditional media and common practices that they use. The term is used in full first and then can be abbreviated there after.

Likewise, on a website like MacRumors where the audience is global regardless of the general subject, assuming that everyone in every country understands every acronym makes you look like an ignorant.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.