Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pcypert

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 19, 2006
Bangkok
Hey all,
Know this is a bit old, but thought I'd throw it up anyways. Just played my copy of Mass Effect this weekend.

Graphics: Good, but buggy as hell. Constant disc reading pauses that would sometimes drag out for 10 seconds or more. Bleh.

Levels: OK. Good variety. Very pretty. Too polished for me though. Would like something a bit grittier... looks like Starship Troopers or something to me. Fonts and colors in general are a bit cheesy. Would have liked some other variety such as gravity differences on levels or things like that.

Characters: OK. Liked that they had the guts to kill off some of the squad. Nice touch. Love interest story line is OK. Some funny lines in there. Would like to see things go further. Like if you have a love triangle going and take them both out in the field they can't work as a team or something. That would be something.

Boss battles: WEAK. I played as a soldier so maybe that makes it easier, but damn those things were weak...as were most of the enemies in general. Hardest part for me was not getting blown up while in the vehicle. I think I died maybe two times in this game and I am not a hard core gamer by any means.

Deep immersion possible... but only if you're a dork. Sorry, but someone has to say it. I tried to justify it to friends and they just looked at me like I was a nerd, and they're right. Who cares about delving into the Codex and reading some back story or vehicle descriptions of made up crap. At least in the Star Wars universe there's some level of nerd credit....but this is just hardcore space nerd stuff. I could give two shakes about made up aliens and what their planet is like. I have no desire at all to do some of the "hidden" side quests and discover more about the universe. Just want to play a game.

Side Quests: Weak. Not much incentive since the bosses and gameplay scale with you. Who cares what your level is. Always a way to get things done.

Ending: OK. Ending Song: Pure Cheese! I'll be super impressed if the save game from this influences the ENTIRE experience of the second one. Who you appoint, who's in charge, etc. That would be fantastic. We'll see.

I did a few side quests and this thing still came in at under 15 hours! That's super short. It was a good playthrough though. Got a love scene. Played for Vanguard. Not really enough there to bring me back. Can't quickly skip a lot of the scenes and don't really want to sift through all the answers time and time again. There should be a "know it all mode" or something when you beat games. It turns off all the helper dialogue and story line crap. You can just run through levels like some all knowing bad a$$ and speed things the crap up. Side rant - this is a big pet peeve in Mario Galaxy doing the Luigi play through. Have to get re-told everything. If you made it to 120 starts...chances are you don't need to be told how to jump.

Paul

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Jun 10, 2006
Interesting post. What I find strange is how often I hear heavy praise of this game. My friend loved the game, and said the ending was one of the best he has seen. In GameInformer, they gave the "last 3 hours of Mass Effect" the 2nd best spot for top 10 moments in gaming of 2007. (the first being entering Andrew Ryans office in Bioshock) I have not played the whole thing through myself, but I liked what I saw. Perhaps you would have enjoyed it more if you went "deeper"?

gloss

macrumors 601
May 9, 2006
around/about
It does depend on your willingness to get involved in a deep, well-conceived sci-fi world, as pcy was apparently loathe to do. So yeah, if you're a geek (like myself) you may garner more enjoyment from the game. It's not perfect, but it's huge and pretty epic and a more-than-good-enough lead-in for the franchise.

I also think he's underestimating the open-endedness of lots of the interactions. Let it suffice to say that certain members of the crew can be saved, among other things.

pcypert

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 19, 2006
Bangkok
Maybe. The last three hours felt cool for sure. Some pace and intensity finally entered the fights. It's just that they've done this game better previously. Plus the "getting deeper" means you have to buy into this whole "space epic" thing which is really, really cheesy in all actuality. It's cool for the game, but go out and talk to a non-gamer and try to sound cool explaining reading dossiers on made up aliens and space craft...just try it :D

The action parts of the game for me were decent. I'd like an option to have more of that. Maybe your character can skip the Paramount/Renegade stuff and be the "silent hero" that doesn't yammer on for 15 minutes. I mean, GeOW gets raked because of short game play, but you're playing for most of those handful of hours. Mass Effect is "longer" but 50-70% of that is cut scenes or characters yammering on.

I did enjoy the game... I played it through till the end in one weekend... not something I typically do. But I didn't find it to be super duper praise worthy. Lots of annoyances, bugs, stupid story line crap (don't need to understand why the reapers do what they do, just stop them...classic storytelling at it's best), and the sex scene was lame, I was expecting hotter ;)

sikkinixx

macrumors 68020
Jul 10, 2005
Rocketing through the sky!
I gave up after about 11 hours. Sure the story and stuff was interesting but that can't overcome a horrible UI in all the menus and a crawling pace when using skills (honestly, only ONE ability at a time? Recharging? Ugh). The glitches certainly weren't game breaking but it shows that the game simply wasn't ready for release and was forced out the door. Then side missions were the same damn thing, on the same damn planet [insert colour to generic rocky planet with annoying fetch/assassinate quest]. The squad controls were kinda crappy, I really missed the KOTOR style of being able to control everyone. Then were obnoxious loading times, though again not game breaking, the same static conversations as in KOTOR (don't people ever walk around while they talk?) so I packed it up and traded it in for Yakuza and Civ 4.

I think their biggest mistake was making it a somewhat-pseudo-action game. It looks like one, controls like one but it isn't one. There is the RPG-ness in the background so I feel like I should be killing this guy but my shots aren't actually hitting him as my hit % is too low. Kind of felt like Morrowind at times.

But anyway, I know my thoughts aren't the same as the majority... I still can't believe IGN gave it a 9.6...:rolleyes:

JackAxe

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2004
In a cup of orange juice.
On this game, which I know I'll play someday, because its a modern 'attempt' at 2 of my favorite epic sci-fi games, why do you guys like the music?

I heard all this spew about how the music is the best thing ever, if not the bestess.. Anyways, I listened to it on iTunes, because of the hype, and it's just OK. it's not like Halo's music, or Monkey Island, or Star Control 2, or even Zelda TP, it's just a cliché of early electronic synth barf. It's nothing new and nothing great. So I guess I'm asking, WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU PEOPLE!!! :confused: :)

<]=)

pcypert

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 19, 2006
Bangkok
I personally never said I liked the music. Said the ending song was one of the worst ever :) I had the volume down for most of the game. That psuedo-inspirational crap gets on my nerves. Also, too easy to know you've cleared an area... music stops and changes. No more suspense.

Paul

JackAxe

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2004
I was just generalizing, because everyone and their cat was raving about how great its music was when it was first released. :)

I used your pure cheese comment as incentive to rant about it. :D

Anyways, at least you played it though, I need that experience for myself.

Now play Star Control 2. :eek:

<]=)

pcypert

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 19, 2006
Bangkok
I've been in an odd mood lately. Beating way more games than usual. Normally beat like one or two a year. Beat two last week. I took a break from 360 so I'm catching up on the "biggies" I missed.

Going to do COD4, Portal, and Beautiful Katamari next. Then move back to RPG's and crap titles. Actually have a hookup for cheap games here (I "review" them for my magazine :D ) so get a kick out of picking up everything, crap included.

JackAxe

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2004
Quick, give me the address to your magazine so I can write in and tell you to hire me instead. :p OK, that wouldn't work, since as an artist my copy-writing skills sucketh.

But that's really cool. I would like to have a setup like that. :)

You should review Star Control 2 next, if you haven't played it. It's free! This way you can compare it ME.
http://sc2.sourceforge.net/downloads.php

SC2 is easily one of my favorite games. :)

<]=)

pcypert

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 19, 2006
Bangkok
I don't actually review games so much...but horribly misuse my title of "Deputy Editor" for all kinds of perks :D . They send them, so I take them. Kind of like when I booked live concerts for my college...actually only booked one, but contacted all the promoters and am still getting sent CD's to this day :)

Paul

PS - Any level so far (9 in) in COD4 is as good or better than the final 3 hours of ME to me. Even better with the intensity and no stupid alien crap to buy into.

elistan

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2007
Denver/Boulder, CO
Maybe. The last three hours felt cool for sure. Some pace and intensity finally entered the fights. It's just that they've done this game better previously. Plus the "getting deeper" means you have to buy into this whole "space epic" thing which is really, really cheesy in all actuality. It's cool for the game, but go out and talk to a non-gamer and try to sound cool explaining reading dossiers on made up aliens and space craft...just try it :D

The action parts of the game for me were decent. I'd like an option to have more of that. Maybe your character can skip the Paramount/Renegade stuff and be the "silent hero" that doesn't yammer on for 15 minutes. I mean, GeOW gets raked because of short game play, but you're playing for most of those handful of hours. Mass Effect is "longer" but 50-70% of that is cut scenes or characters yammering on.

I did enjoy the game... I played it through till the end in one weekend... not something I typically do. But I didn't find it to be super duper praise worthy. Lots of annoyances, bugs, stupid story line crap (don't need to understand why the reapers do what they do, just stop them...classic storytelling at it's best), and the sex scene was lame, I was expecting hotter ;)

I'd suggest that talking to a non-gamer, non-nerd about anything sci-fi will get you weird looks. Mass Effect is meant for people into sci fi stories. It's not for people who are only interested in action games, only interested in horror stories, etc. If you're somebody like me who reads science fiction and fantasy novels on a regular basis, Mass Effect is a great game. Part of the whole point of the game is the dialog-heavy cut scenes.

I'll agree though that there are a number of technical deficiencies to the game. (Constand CD access, repetitive side-quest levels, the store screens...)

JackAxe

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2004
I don't actually review games so much...but horribly misuse my title of "Deputy Editor" for all kinds of perks :D . They send them, so I take them. Kind of like when I booked live concerts for my college...actually only booked one, but contacted all the promoters and am still getting sent CD's to this day :)

Paul

PS - Any level so far (9 in) in COD4 is as good or better than the final 3 hours of ME to me. Even better with the intensity and no stupid alien crap to buy into.

HOLY WINNIE THE POOOOH! I can create a deputy editor position at my business. Now I just need to make contacts. :) I have reviewed one game and got paid for it, that was Star Control 3. Speaking of Star Control, stop playing COD and play it instead, its alien crap is fun. :p

Something about modern warfare doesn't appeal to me, probably because it's relevant to what's going on now. But I know someday I'll probably play COD4 and I know I'll enjoy it. :eek:

<]=)

pcypert

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 19, 2006
Bangkok
Don't know if I need a second review for COD4. Just finished it. Nothing great, but a fantastic play through. Good intensity. Nice two not so hard core days game. Damn this ending song could possibly be worse than Mass Effect... what "hard gangsta" did a rap for COD4? ;)

I guess what another replier posted is my problem with Mass Effect. If you're not into space the game is lessened. I'm not into plumbing but I enjoy Mario :) . I'm not into the Crusades, but enjoyed Assassin's Creed. There's still a level to which you can kind of enjoy Mass Effect if not into Sci Fi, but that lasts less than 15 hours! I think 2 or 3 of those on my save were just leaving the controller on while I was on the phone and stuff too.

An enjoyable 7.8 or 8.2 or something. No where near a 9.6 though that's for sure.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.