PDA

View Full Version : New iBooks and TiBooks - official!

Classic
Oct 16, 2001, 12:51 AM
Some guy named FisherKing over at MacNN got a MacMall catalog in the mail that listed new TiBooks and iBooks on the cover!

Follow this link to the discussion:

http://newforums.macnn.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=17&t=003377

And these to the MacMall site to order:

Titanium PowerBook G4/667 - http://www.cc-inc.com/macmall/shop/detail.asp?dpno=963908

Titanium PowerBook G4/550 - http://www.cc-inc.com/macmall/shop/detail.asp?dpno=963907

iBook 600 w/ Combo Drive - http://www.cc-inc.com/macmall/shop/detail.asp?dpno=963911

iBook 600 w/ DVD-ROM Drive - http://www.cc-inc.com/macmall/shop/detail.asp?dpno=963910

iBook 600 w/ CD-ROM - http://www.cc-inc.com/macmall/shop/detail.asp?dpno=963909

Somebody in a black turtleneck is going to be mighty pissed.....

john123
Oct 16, 2001, 02:14 AM
You can also order the new models from ClubMac, which is considerably cheaper than MacMall as well! 2059 for the low-end TiBook and 2829 for the high-end.

Yay!

iboy
Oct 16, 2001, 02:15 AM
Where did you get this links... from the macmall homepage, or is it selfmade? When you go on the macmall website to look for the new models you can't find them...

good fake...

[Edited by iboy on 10-16-2001 at 03:18 AM]

iimpey
Oct 16, 2001, 02:25 AM
Club mac have it also but the 667 has air port standard. BUT NO COMBO DRIVE!!

john123
Oct 16, 2001, 02:56 AM
Originally posted by iboy
Where did you get this links... from the macmall homepage, or is it selfmade? When you go on the macmall website to look for the new models you can't find them...

good fake...

[Edited by iboy on 10-16-2001 at 03:18 AM]

Haha, stud, hate to break it to you, it's real. You can't "fake" it without a redirect built into your hyperlink.

The reason you can't FIND it is that Apple probably gave them instructions not to RELEASE/SELL it yet, until the announcement later today. So they put it in their system but have not added it to the main page or the search engine.

I was skeptical at first. But go to Clubmac or Macmall, and just open a link to any product...then change the # in the URL to the correct # that corresponds to the TiBook or iBook. You'll see...it's real.

Steve Jobs will be pissed.

john123
Oct 16, 2001, 02:59 AM
Originally posted by iimpey
Club mac have it also but the 667 has air port standard. BUT NO COMBO DRIVE!!

Yeah...bummer that Airport is not standard on the 550.

Combo Drive will probably be a BTO from the Apple Store. That's my guess, anyway.....

hellspawn
Oct 16, 2001, 07:01 AM
The apple store is down for updates!!!

iboy
Oct 16, 2001, 07:03 AM
I'm wondering, I'm wondering soooooo much !!!!!!

hellspawn
Oct 16, 2001, 07:31 AM
New ibooks and tibooks on front page at apple.com!!

Classic
Oct 16, 2001, 08:52 AM
It seems that the Combo Drive still hasn't made it into the TiBook lineup. Not even BTO.

Classic
Oct 16, 2001, 09:00 AM
iimpey, can you post the link to clubmac that shows the new portables? I couldn't find them.

Thanks.

Obsidian
Oct 16, 2001, 11:40 AM
Go to http://www.apple.com/powerbook/
Why are all of the models listed with 512mb of ram in red, with the 256 option crossed out? is it a temp special? prices had not changed for this!!.

Can I say a HELL YEAH! for the 48gb drive?!

packrat
Oct 16, 2001, 11:46 AM
Originally posted by Obsidian
Go to http://www.apple.com/powerbook/
Why are all of the models listed with 512mb of ram in red, with the 256 option crossed out? is it a temp special? prices had not changed for this!!.

As pointed out in several places on the apple website, this is temporary offer lasting from now until the end of December -- the powerbooks have double memory installed. Where this bites you is with the faster/fastest models where you get 512Mb memory which uses both slots!!

greenplasticcup
Oct 16, 2001, 03:12 PM
very nice, bravo for apple.

Excellent on the bus speed increase! And Radeon!

The ibook and the powerbook are some friggin good machines!

here's to the best portable market!

MattB
Oct 16, 2001, 05:06 PM
Originally posted by Classic
It seems that the Combo Drive still hasn't made it into the TiBook lineup. Not even BTO.

IT IS BTO! Check out the online Apple Store!

fallt
Oct 16, 2001, 05:16 PM
The combo drive is, I'm afraid, not a BTO option, unless I'm mistaken. I thought that "and if you want a CDRW we'll build it, etc." meant a combo drive, but a phonecall to Apple Ireland this morning (I live in Ireland) confirmed that the CDR(W) they'll build in won't read DVDs.

=[

A pity, otherwise I'm fairly happy. Looks like I'll just have to stick to an external CDR(W). Nonetheless, it's time to get my cheque book out. =]

Later,

Christopher

Classic
Oct 16, 2001, 05:17 PM
Originally posted by MattB
Originally posted by Classic

IT IS BTO! Check out the online Apple Store!

No, a plain-old CD-RW is BTO, not a DVD/CD-RW.

fallt
Oct 16, 2001, 05:42 PM
So, no combo-drive (which, I confess, I'd hoped for), but:

an Airport card installed and included in the price;

a faster processor and bus;

512 MB Ram via Apple's 'double for nothing' promo;

and, last but not least, a 16 MB ATI Rage Mobility chip...

The burning question, before I go to bed: Is everybody happy?

Christopher

john123
Oct 16, 2001, 06:15 PM
Originally posted by fallt
So, no combo-drive (which, I confess, I'd hoped for), but:

an Airport card installed and included in the price;

a faster processor and bus;

512 MB Ram via Apple's 'double for nothing' promo;

and, last but not least, a 16 MB ATI Rage Mobility chip...

The burning question, before I go to bed: Is everybody happy?

Christopher

A lot of people aren't happy, which is making me unhappy and uneasy. Because I plan on buying one, and I very much do NOT like these nasty rumors that this is a stopgap to get us to the next "major" revision in January or March (MWSF or Tokyo).

There are some decided negatives to these babies:
1) The drop in the L2 cache from 1 MB to 256k. Yes, the cache is now running at full processor speed. But that won't quite make up for it. The 550 will probably be a tad slower than the 500 used to be -- or at least that is what I am guesstimating from listening to people who sound intelligent.
2) It's a 16 MB ATI RADEON Mobility chip. But it is *not* the new 7500 chip for laptops. And that means that its 3-D acceleration won't be as good as the state-of-the-art, which is sad for a brand new product.
3) (My own criticism that I haven't seen on any of the rumors sites): inability to truly "BTO" your system. What I mean by that is this: you used to be able to configure your system anyway you wanted, with whatever processor. It didn't matter if you clicked on the 400 or the 500 model on the Apple Store -- you could spec it out with whatever processor and stuff you wanted. NOW, if you get the high-end model, you HAVE to get an Airport card. Personally, I'd like a 667 Mhz PowerBook without the stupid card built-in, but that's just not possible. And that sucks.

But these are minor quibbles in the grand scheme of things. It's a solid upgrade. People expect their next laptop to be 1.4 THz with an automated home security system and conjugal nighttime functions, and they really don't think abou the time and energy that goes into R&D for a revised computer of any kind. This model is a couple months late on the trigger, but it's solid. I'd say it's a "buy," and the people bitching and moaning that they will wait for a new revision are probably the people who will never really buy in the first place.

MrMacMan
Oct 16, 2001, 09:07 PM
And Listen.
THe ibooks are going to Schools. The Schools don't need Combo Drives. That is why the "ibook is the most popular" portable. 1 out of 2. I'm sry to people who were looking for the drive.

DannyZR2
Oct 16, 2001, 10:57 PM
My First reaction was that complete hysteria.. I was extatic that the new powerbooks AND ibooks had come out. I called my friends and was very proud. I even saw that they did go with the ATI card, and I still haven't found any solidity that it is NOT the new 7500 card. How do you know? ATI says the new 7500 comes in either 16M 32M or 64M configs. Who's to say?

But I will say that the iBook could have had at least 16Mb VRAM. That would have helped a lot.

I still don't know which to buy. Maybe I'll get a deal on an old 500.

fallt
Oct 17, 2001, 06:46 AM
I agree with a great deal of what John said (above)...

Overall things look 'solid', but all these murmurs about this being a 'stop gap' upgrade till a 'major revision' PbBook (that's 'Pb' as in 'lead') is unveiled early next year are worrying when you're about to shell out a huge amount on a machine you hope will give you a good run for you money.

I think it's safe to say that the real cause of our problems are these rumours that we're all equally guilty of generating/consuming - let's face it, they don't half lose you sleep at night. =]

I'll admit I was a little disappointed that the combo-drive never made it into the equation as a BTO (and, again, I agree with John's comments about this no-so-build-to-order BTO), but rumours and denials notwithstanding I placed my order for a G4 667 first thing this morning and it'll - allegedly - be here in ten days time...

At which point (and this is the important point) I'll ensure I get the maximum possible use/value-for-money from it so that when they do reveal a PbBook with a 2THz processor I won't have any regrets.

Or will I? [Wink!] =]

Christopher

Gelfin
Oct 17, 2001, 12:47 PM
Has anyone actually -seen- the new TiBooks? When I called the Palo Alto Apple Store yesterday morning, they said they expected to get both the iBooks and the TiBooks delivered. I went to the store later that day and found that they had gotten the iBooks, but not the PBs, but that they expected to get them "at any time."

So I put my name on the "call me" list and I'm anxiously awaiting their call. Wish I knew how many people were on that list ahead of me for PB667s. :)

I'm just wondering if any actually shipped out yesterday at all. Presumably the 10-day lag at the online store is because they need to get retailers stocked first, but is there something else going on?

Traveler
Oct 18, 2001, 01:24 PM
There's been alot of focus on the speed, memory and graphics upgrades but has anyone heard/read anything about apple upgrading the structural strength of the new tibook? I keep hearing bad things about the amount of flex the design allows for. CD's getting stuck in the slot loading drive, and other bendage and breakage horror stories. What's the scoop?