Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

arkitect

macrumors 604
Original poster
Sep 5, 2005
Bath, United Kingdom
Poor guy. Talk about rotten luck. :eek:

A trader in the Indian state of Bihar has lost his life savings after termites infesting his bank's safe deposit boxes ate them up.

Dwarika Prasad had deposited currency notes and investment papers worth hundreds of thousands of rupees in a bank safe in the state capital Patna.

The bank says it put up a notice warning customers of the termites.

Mr Prasad says he did not see it in time as he did not go to the bank for months after the notice went up.

Bank officials admit they did not inform the customers individually about the termite problem.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/south_asia/7334033.stm

Eraserhead

macrumors G4
Nov 3, 2005
UK
1 million rupees is 25 thousand dollars, so yes its less than that, but its a lot of money for an Indian.

Unspeaked

macrumors 68020
Dec 29, 2003
West Coast
1 million rupees is 25 thousand dollars, so yes its less than that, but its a lot of money for an Indian.

I wasn't trying to downplay the significance of the loss, I was just trying to put the figure in terms us Westerners can understand.

I realize $25 thousand if a lot of money to most folks in the US, much less India, but it's not as if this person was a billionaire...

Eraserhead

macrumors G4
Nov 3, 2005
UK
I wasn't trying to downplay the significance of the loss, I was just trying to put the figure in terms us Westerners can understand.

I realize $25 thousand if a lot of money to most folks in the US, much less India, but it's not as if this person was a billionaire...

Sure, sorry if I was aggressive sounding :eek:.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.