Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

EdLee

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 5, 2008
All,

This is a follow up thread from https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/466265/ regarding MacBook Screens. I feel it should be brought out of that thread and into its own thread to maybe help people out when buying a new MacBook.

Currently, MacBooks come with one of four LCD panels:

9C5E/5E9C - Chi Mei N133I1
9C5C/5C9C - Au Optronics B133EW01
9C5B/5B9C - Samsung LTN133W1
9C5F/5F9C - LG Philips LP133WX1

You can find out which panel you have by doing the following:

System Preferences -> Display -> Color

Open the default LCD profile.

Scroll down to number 13 and you should see model number listed there.

In my experience, I have been through three black MacBooks over the last week due to panel 9C5B, the Samsung. I have also read through other threads discussing issues with the Samsung panel. Both laptops I had with the Samsung panels were made in the 12th week of 2008.

All the laptop displays show some amount of dithering, as they are 6-bit panels. I think we all know this, but it bears repeating. The Samsung panels are horrible with their dithering. All grays show severe banding and dithering, including the OS shadows, pull down menu transparancies, etc. If you're also running Windows, you can see the problem a bit better. With Windows, you can just go to the display control panel and take a look at the gray background of the panel. It looks like a very warped checkerboard.

My final swap gave me a great LG/Philips panel, with a MacBook manufacturing date in the 9th week of 2008. The LG and AUO panels seem to be fine, with Chi Mei showing some washing out. The Samsung is disgraceful.

It would be helpful to list your date code (found in the serial number) along with your panel type. This is only for regular MacBooks, and not the Pros.

As I've returned my problematic MacBooks, I don't have any screenshots but there are some which show the exact problem at http://homepage.mac.com/mlostracco/MacBook/PhotoAlbum174.html (which I found on Apple's forums.

I just want everyone to know that this is *not* how the screen is supposed to look!

hexonxonx

macrumors 601
Jul 4, 2007
Denver Colorado
Manufacturer Date: C01D6580
LCD Panel: 00009C5F

I puchased my BlackBook last Wednesday from the Apple store and got it Thursday. Mine is the same panel is yours and is nearly perfect!

CalmEnvy

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2008
Model: 9C5B
Manufacture Date: C054C480

So that means I have the Samsung one, only thing is I don't seem to have this problem. At least I can't see it or anything, could you let me know how I may be able to or would it just be there? I haven't had any problems with Apple products so maybe I'm just lucky lol.

EdLee

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 5, 2008
Manufacturer Date: C01D6580
LCD Panel: 00009C5F

I puchased my BlackBook last Wednesday from the Apple store and got it Thursday. Mine is the same panel is yours and is nearly perfect!

sorry, should have been clearer. The first few digits of the MacBook serial number have the code.

Mine was something 8812, meaning 12th week of 2008. My new one had 8809.

herman238

macrumors member
Feb 28, 2008
Model: 00009C5B
Manufacture Date:C054C480

Guess i got a bad display, but tbh it's okay, just the vertical viewing angle sucks

asme

macrumors regular
Mar 12, 2008
9C5F
Date: C01D6580

Purchased this March 20th of 2007, which is a Week 10 of '07. The panel is bleedy, the backlighting is uneven, and it's getting discolored.

However, it was beautiful when it was new. That didn't last all too long. Wish it had though.

EdLee

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 5, 2008
Model: 9C5B
Manufacture Date: C054C480

So that means I have the Samsung one, only thing is I don't seem to have this problem. At least I can't see it or anything, could you let me know how I may be able to or would it just be there? I haven't had any problems with Apple products so maybe I'm just lucky lol.

Guess check the link I pasted in the first post. It shows what to look for.

The best way I found was either run windows, and if not, use the B&W background of the hazy beach. Pull down the apple menu and look at the transparency. You'll more than likely see dots through the transparency, and towards the top of the pulled down menu, you'll see the grey color actually be small x's.

That's the best way I found to see it.

Also, the shadows around all windows are badly banded.

EdLee

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 5, 2008
Also, for those posting the dates from ColorSync, unfortunately it's not the proper date. My Samsung's date from there was from Jan 06. :)

Use the third through fifth numbers of your serial number. Mine is 809, which is 2008, week 9.

Thanks,
Ed

Bobioden

macrumors 68000
Sep 23, 2007
Denver
I have a 9C5B screen made the 46th week if 2007, and the screen is excellent. No dithering what so ever.

It is a 2.2 Blackbook. Would it be the same screen that is in the 2.4?

CREA

macrumors newbie
Apr 27, 2008
I just received a replacement white MacBook 2.4 about 2 weeks ago for my older 2.2 (very, VERY long story) and have this same screen issue and mine is a 9C5B. Manufactured 15th week of this year.

I took it into the local authorized reseller/repair shop and they tried to pass it off as being "brighter" than the other computer screens and it was "normal."

I e-mailed my case manager that handled the replacement.. let's see what he says back. I referenced a few other links in my e-mail describing this problem, but it looks like I'll have another since I found this thread as well.

I'm glad I'm not the only one.

rezonat0r

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2007
I got a week 15 blackbook with the Samsung panel, and I have noticed some slight dithering (checkerboard pattern) in greys. But nothing remotely resembling the pics - that looks like the panel is running in 4-bit mode instead of 6 for some reason. Definitely defective and from a bad batch.

As said above the worst thing about this panel is the vertical viewing angle... is the LG any better? It seems hard to come by.

hexonxonx

macrumors 601
Jul 4, 2007
Denver Colorado
I got a week 15 blackbook with the Samsung panel, and I have noticed some slight dithering (checkerboard pattern) in greys. But nothing remotely resembling the pics - that looks like the panel is running in 4-bit mode instead of 6 for some reason. Definitely defective and from a bad batch.

As said above the worst thing about this panel is the vertical viewing angle... is the LG any better? It seems hard to come by.

All Macbooks, not matter what display manufacturer used, have a bad viewing angle. It's mostly noticeable when viewing a bad angle and especially when viewing a movie. It's just how MacBooks are.

CREA

macrumors newbie
Apr 27, 2008
Spoke to Apple, and I think they're actually recognizing this as as a widespread problem. I referenced many links (including this thread) and they seemed very concerned. Perhaps a recall.. ? lol

They're sending a replacement computer. This'll be number three for me in a matter of a few months.. hopefully three's a charm?

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
I have the 9C5E (Chi Mei)

It is a little washed out but its actually a pretty ok screen after calibration...no major faux pas that i can see anyway

mosx

macrumors 65816
Mar 3, 2007
All Macbooks, not matter what display manufacturer used, have a bad viewing angle. It's mostly noticeable when viewing a bad angle and especially when viewing a movie. It's just how MacBooks are.

Not my MacBook ;) But you and I don't need to go over this again, do we?

msheldrick

macrumors regular
Mar 23, 2008
Mine is a 9C5B and my macbook is from week 7 2008, i can see the backlight from one side of my screen should i ring up apple?

CREA

macrumors newbie
Apr 27, 2008
Just got my replacement. It has the SAME exact display as my last one (9C5B Samsung) and all the problems that come with it.

This is the third MacBook I have had.. and I almost feel like just giving up. The whole sending it/getting the new one is getting terribly tiring.

I e-mailed my case manager yet AGAIN.. I feel like I'm going to get blacklisted or something or they simply think I'm entirely insane.

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
The problem is Apple is making these systems cheaper by cheaping out on components which leads to bigger margins

Basically you're getting what you pay....or what Apple has paid for....crap screens, weak GPUs, basic Hard Drives

CREA

macrumors newbie
Apr 27, 2008
No, I certainly paid more than enough for a half-decent display.

This is just a wonderful example of Apple trying to get away with using cheaper products and people (mostly new users) not noticing because they haven't seen what the screen is supposed to look like.

My old MB 2.2 didn't have this issue. I'm almost tempted to just ask them to send me a refurb 2.2 because the screens were fine.

Currently, another "supervisor" is trying to find a way for to get me one so I don't repeatedly get the same display. You think it would be easy enough as opening the computer and looking at the display before shipping! Better yet, they could do the right thing, recognize this as a mass affecting problem, have a recall and discontinue using these ****** displays.

Gokhan

macrumors 6502a
Oct 7, 2003
London
thank you thread starter i thought i was the only one with this problem but guess what i have the samsung panel and it sucks , it looks really bad but i did mange to calibrate it with a config in another thread , search napa colour profile and was living with it.

But now that you are confirming this is wide spread problem , well sir apple will get a visit from me , can i ask them to replace the screen with a different make ?? (wtf the **** apple first banding n the pb's then uneven and rubbish mbp displays and now thsi ?)

also can i ask for a replacement i have had mine for 4 months although at first i thought was acceptable and that these macbook screens were poorer compared with the mbp but now i see its a duff display can i request it be put right or replaced under uk law as the item is not performing to the required standards or purpose ?

EdLee

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 5, 2008
Gokhan,

I truly don't know if Apple will replace or not. I was lucky in that I was within 14 days of the problem and was able to swap it out (three times). I believe I read somewhere that they can only swap out a screen with a like one, and I don't know if the inverters are swapped at the same time, which means, more than likely, you'll get the same screen manufacturer as well.

Like I said, I'm not sure.

One surefire way to see what I was seeing (outside of the photos in the original post) is go into Boot Camp or VMWare with Windows (if you were inclined to install Windows) and go to the System Control panel. Let me tell you, you will see the problem I had with the Samsung panel. Blotchy and pixellated grays where it should look like one even gray color.

I do wish you luck in getting your problem resolved.

Ed

Gokhan

macrumors 6502a
Oct 7, 2003
London
thanks

i will take it to the apple store direct and show them face to face and see how the manager will explain this away because the screen looks like diarea on its default colour profile and looks so much beter calibrated and yes i have windows installed so now i will demo this rubbish to them in store.

thanks for the heads up

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.