PDA

View Full Version : Can a PC & 12"PB be connected via Bluetooth?!

toughboy
Nov 9, 2003, 05:48 PM
I'm planning to buy a bluetooth adapter to my desktop PC so that I can connect Ericsson t610 and Apple Bluetooth keyboard and if possible my 12"PB..

does anyone tried or has an idea about if I can connect Apple Bluetooth keyboard and 12"PB via bluetooth to a desktop PC?

Thanx in advance..

joker2
Nov 9, 2003, 06:40 PM
Probably be a way to do both, but would you really want to connect the powerbook that way? It would be awfully slow... you'd probably want an airport connection for that.

toughboy
Nov 9, 2003, 08:21 PM
Originally posted by shadow95
Probably be a way to do both, but would you really want to connect the powerbook that way? It would be awfully slow... you'd probably want an airport connection for that.

thanks for the reply...

what I meant by connecting was sharing files, playing games with 2 players and etc.. I wasn't talking about sharing internet connection, and surfing and etc.

plus what I want is connecting my PB to friends' PCs when I visit them. so that we can share files and play games in a cheap way..

about airport.. I dont have an airport extreme card on my 12"PBG4.. its something like 100 dolars.. and I need the base station WITH modem too, because all I have is a dial-up connection.. so its about another 150 dolars.(I'm not talking about apple's airport base station, d-link or flexy or any other cheap brand).. plus I'll need a wireless card for PC too.. so it does not seem logical to spend 300USD for just sharing among computers and damn slow dial-up connection.. thats why I mentioned bluetooth...

kwajo.com
Nov 9, 2003, 08:46 PM
sharing files and playing games? on bluetooth? no way is that going to be worth the effort. it is less than 1mbps, it would be aweful!

G5orbust
Nov 9, 2003, 11:08 PM
Sharing files: Yes, but an ethernet cable would be so much less hassle.

Networking (sharing internet connection and so on): Can work but youre better off just having a wifi network.

Apple Keyboard: Won't work on a PC.

Transfering Files from mac<--->cell phone using iSync: very, very handy.

toughboy
Nov 11, 2003, 12:48 AM
Originally posted by G5orbust Apple Keyboard: Won't work on a PC.
B]

Apple keyboard wont work on a pc?! oh no.. Are you sure???
cause then I wont buy one.. the keyboard on my 12"PB is already wonderful.. if it really doesnt work, damn it! :(

G5orbust
Nov 11, 2003, 08:42 PM
well, at least it shouldnt. The wired pro keyboard doesnt, so why should the bluetooth one?

joker2
Nov 12, 2003, 09:52 AM
The wired pro keyboard doesn't work on a PC? Hmm. That's news to me. Guess I'll have to tell my dad to disconnect the one I gave him for his work laptop which has windows 2000 on it... as "it doesn't work"

For the record, the regular keyboards do recognise and install the needed drivers automatically... the apple key becomes the "windows menu key"

This will probably be different for bluetooth, as it's different from a simple USB connection.

toughboy
Nov 12, 2003, 11:25 AM
a kind pal in hardware section of the rumors told that the bluetooth version absolutely works for the PCs..
and plus you dont have to do anything, just make the PC bluetooth device recognize it (probably by switching on! :)), and use it!.. just like Apple Style, isnt it? :)
70 euros, and it will be all mine.. thanx for all the replies..

Nik_Doof
Nov 13, 2003, 06:49 AM
Originally posted by toughboy
Apple keyboard wont work on a pc?! oh no.. Are you sure???
cause then I wont buy one.. the keyboard on my 12"PB is already wonderful.. if it really doesnt work, damn it! :(

Eh??? i've got a Apple Keyboard....works peachy on XP, even picks it up as "Apple USB Keyboard HID"

Yah the Apple key just maps to the Windows key....even had my optical mouse hooked up, of course right click was difficult lol :)

Also the USB HID spec is standardised, i dont think Apple would make there own quirky devices....if so whats the point of abiding to standards such as USB? Same with bluetooth....infact to get the Bluetooth mark your device has to be compatible with there standards....simple as.

"Approved Class Specifications are those that have officially reached Version 1.0 status and are usable to design products. Each document describes one or more classes, identified by a Class Code. Devices and interfaces that implement a class must use this Class Code (for example, in the bInterfaceClassfield). Each Approved Class Specification defines the appropriate values for SubClass and Protocol for the class(es) it defines."

From http://www.usb.org/developers/devclass/

And from http://www.usb.org/developers/defined_class you see HID is class 3....so it must be standard including how the device operates over USB.

* Nik_Doof picks up his axe after destroying the convo