PDA

View Full Version : Reconverted - recalling why I love my mac (even with 10.3 bugs)

law guy
Nov 9, 2003, 08:03 PM
This is sort of a reminder of why Macs are wonderful even if 10.3 is buggy and quality control is an issue at times.

So, my saga lately has been the story of how my printing stopped with 10.3. I went down to the basement (where the 2.4 GHz P4 XP Pro system resides) and tried to a few simple things on the Dell. What a pain in the ... .

Now, it's true that I have to rely on my PCs for printing right now (old Toshiba Win 98 laptop has got a good 'ol parallel cable going to my laser jet upstairs), but just that small amount of time trying to get something done on the XP machine made me appreciate how wonderful my Mac is - even if the OS is a bit messy right now (oh, waiting with great anticipation for the first 10.3 revision!)

I feel "reconverted" as my doubts and wondering if an XPS or Precision wouldn't have been a more "utilitarian" move have fled in light of spending some time with XP outside of Word and Excel (which work just fine on a PC, of course).

the upshot - my mac is a wonderful machine.

madforrit
Nov 9, 2003, 08:36 PM
heh heh...yeah despite the bugs, Macs are a pleasure to use.

Interestingly enough, I had a funny time with the printing in 10.3. I have a HP deskjet 970. After installing Panther, I lost a lot of the printing options (e.g. paper type/quality, etc.). So I downloaded the drivers from HP and installed those, and then I couldn't print at all (the printer utility thing wouldn't let me add a printer despite recognizing it...some sort of OS error).
Then I installed the printer drivers from Panther (only those, not the OS) without deleting the drivers I had downloaded from HP, and wa-la! Fully functioning printer. There is still one really annoying bug where the printer will all of a sudden stop and I have to go and restart print jobs in the utility, but that only happens once in a while.

So I just posted that in case anyone with HP print problems in Panther wanted to try this strategy. :D

macengineer
Dec 3, 2005, 05:59 PM
One of the things I have definitely realized after buying an iBook, while still using my Windows Xtreme Pain machine occasionally, is that my Mac gives me 90% less reasons to punch the wall. (and yes, i have lost my temper at my Mac...the only way to make a blameless machine in my mind is with an infinitely fast processor, infinite storage...pretty much infinite everything)
My point is...why? There are many reasons, right? Like total freedom from viruses, breathtaking GUI, a vast selection of agreeable software,...the list goes on. One could argue that XP can be configured for many of those same benefits. For example, I have XP theme skinned to look almost exactly like a mac. I have pretty aqua buttons and even a dock! But it takes two clicks, and even the most un-involved mac user can feel that this is NOT a Mac, and that it can produce a foaming mouth in a flash. Why why why?
Let me put it this way: it's like 2 similar networks of plumbing pipes designed to drain your toilet and get that solid wast far far away. One of the pipes injects a lot of water, has smooth inner linings and ample capacity to let the ***** slide through quickly and efficiently. It fulfills it's purpose, AND keeps your bathroom smelling nice. Now, the other network is a little different. It also gets the waste far away from you. But it always has a buffer occupying every last pipe and branch of pipes. The pipes are rusty and restricted by nasty, gunky buildup on the inside, but you'd never guess that was the problem, because they have been painted so bright and shiny on the outside. Strange, repugnant smeels permeate your bathroom, even after you douse the entire place with Lysol and scrub the last corner with a steel brush. You spend so much time cleaning that it occupies most of the time you'd like to be spending OUtside your bathroom. When wake up from a troubled sleep and need to take a dump really urgently, you realize you need to wait several minutes till the toilet "warms up"(ie. the entire system squeezes out enough ***** that you can fit in your dump). Finally you realize the problem must be coming from somewhere deep and evil where you cannot reach. Then you realize that a Mac is the only solution.

plinden
Dec 3, 2005, 06:37 PM
Let me put it this way: it's like 2 similar networks of plumbing pipes designed to drain your toilet and get that solid wast far far away. One of the pipes injects a lot of water, has smooth inner linings and ample capacity to let the ***** slide through quickly and efficiently. It fulfills it's purpose, AND keeps your bathroom smelling nice. Now, the other network is a little different. It also gets the waste far away from you. But it always has a buffer occupying every last pipe and branch of pipes. The pipes are rusty and restricted by nasty, gunky buildup on the inside, but you'd never guess that was the problem, because they have been painted so bright and shiny on the outside. Strange, repugnant smeels permeate your bathroom, even after you douse the entire place with Lysol and scrub the last corner with a steel brush. You spend so much time cleaning that it occupies most of the time you'd like to be spending OUtside your bathroom. When wake up from a troubled sleep and need to take a dump really urgently, you realize you need to wait several minutes till the toilet "warms up"(ie. the entire system squeezes out enough ***** that you can fit in your dump). Finally you realize the problem must be coming from somewhere deep and evil where you cannot reach. Then you realize that a Mac is the only solution.
Well, that makes a change from the car analogies ...

vniow
Dec 3, 2005, 07:35 PM
This forum is in the archive, how do people find these threads?

macengineer
Dec 4, 2005, 09:49 PM
Google, my friend. I just needed a place to express my reinvigorated love for my Apple. How else do you express it than on the internet? I could kiss it, and take it to bed with me (and I have), but sometimes you just want the world to know, is all.:D