Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

masterpace

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 24, 2008
Montreal
Hi guys! I'm playing a few old games under Windows XP. They run pretty smooth for a few minutes, then the fan kicks in, I can feel the heat and the game start constantly stuttering for a fraction of second.

I've installed RMClock and monitored the CPU throttling. It seems that whenever the CPU temperature reaches about 80 degrees C, throttling kicks in badly for a short period of time then goes back to normal (between 1.2 and 1.6 GHz). When it throttles, if often goes down to 200 MHz! No wonder how come an older game stutters!

Now, I'm wondering how could I disable thermal throttling or at least, increase the treshold for it to occur. Something like 90 or 95 degrees would be good. Or, simply put, just disable it. It just ruins any CPU intense application and creates a bottleneck. Any ideas? Please don't tell me that the MBA is not meant for that. I need to find a way to disable throttling linked to heat.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.