Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TK B$K

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 21, 2007
Portland OR
Hey im looking to get a mac mini as a 24 hour on machine. Im just wondering how does it stand up to heat if im just streaming and downloading other movies from my main computer?

Also how loud are the fans? I hope there not too loud since this will be going in my room!

Also i need some help on choosing! Im gonna go refurbished but im not sure which one to get. For sure when i get it i will be upgrading to 2gb ram
but heres the simples, i need the most powerful one so please let me know which one would be better!

1.83ghz Core 2 Duo - 80gb HD - Combo Drive - 1gb ram

or

1.66 Core Duo - 80gb HD - SUPERDRIVE - 512mb ram

I just pretty much know will the core 2 duo be wayy faster than just the core duo? thanks!

thejadedmonkey

macrumors G3
May 28, 2005
Pennsylvania
The Core 2 Duo will be wayyy faster, but more so because it has double the RAM that the Core duo has.

I have a G4 mini, and it's been always on since I got it. Every now and then it goes off, or goes to sleep... but it's nice. My dad has a Core 2 Duo at work and it's (almost) just as silent.

Very nice machines, you'll like it.

TK B$K

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 21, 2007
Portland OR
Alright and i just found out you can put a total of 3gb of ram in a Mac Mini Core 2 Duo!!!! and for only 65$ from OWC i will be doing that now instead of the 2gb!

Also, im just trying to decide if im gonna need the super drive, all i really do is just burn CDs and watch DVDs, i havent burnt a DVD for a while.

So im not sure, i still want to hear a few more reviews possibly from someone who upgraded to 2 (or 3gb) of ram in their Mini!

thanks!

theLimit

macrumors 6502a
Jan 30, 2007
up tha holler, acrost tha crick
I had a 1.66 CD mini upgraded to 2GB RAM and I ran it 24/7. It was a great machine. I used it via Apple Remote Desktop to have it rip and encode DVDs as well as for a bittorrent machine. I never had a single problem with it and it was at 100% CPU around 40 hours a week. I could only hear the fans when it was working hard, but if it was just downloading it was practically silent.

Foxile

macrumors regular
Dec 27, 2007
I upgraded my Mini to 2Gb ( a lot easier than it looks on first reading the instructions ) in under 15 minutes.

I used it as my primary machine and ran WoW for long periods and never heard a peep from it. It would quite happily rip DVDs for hours on end and again it was whisper quiet.

For your requirements, it sounds like the perfect answer.

err404

macrumors 68030
Mar 4, 2007
The mini is one of my favorite devices in the apple lineup. With a pair of large USB/Firewire disks, it's the best 24/7 home server that I can think of. The price seems a little high for the specs until you realize it's only pulling 20watts at idle and can have an instant on sleep mode schedule at 2watts. Even at full load it pulls a mere 45watts. Basically if you leave it on all the time, you'll save a good chunk of change in your power bill.

I use mine for: TM backups of my media and two laptops/DVD ripping/batch transcoding/iTunes host for ATV/Media streamer for xbox360/usenet agent/torrent agent/file server/print server/scanner host/iPhone dock/G wifi router*/desktop computer...

And with the optical out it could also be a HTPC if need be.

BTW - keep an eye the refurb store. I got a refurb 2Ghz C2D 1G 120HDD Superdrive a month ago, but they aren't listed all the time.

*for my iPhone and guest use, since my AEBS is set for N only

ADent

macrumors 6502a
Sep 9, 2007
The mini usually nearly silent.

But when doing heavy duty tasks (using both cores to convert a DVD to MP4 for example) the fan can spin up and you will hear it.

Michael CM1

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2008
The mini usually nearly silent.

But when doing heavy duty tasks (using both cores to convert a DVD to MP4 for example) the fan can spin up and you will hear it.

Run HandBrake and then you'll find out how loud the fan is. It's nowhere near the nails-in-a-coffee-grinder that my PC desktop is, but it's a little hum.

As a former Mini owner, they're really good entry-level machines. I sold mine to someone on a very old Dell when I got my MBP. But in the future I may buy another to do server-type stuff. Luckily, I can use the AEBS as a file server, although I'm having issues with 802.11n on the MBP.

TK B$K

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 21, 2007
Portland OR
Alright guys well great news! Came back from best buy today with a wireless apple keyboard and mighty mouse and that means i will be odering the Mini tomorrow!

I plan on going with the 2ghz intel Core 2 Duo :)

Im sooo excited!!

But i also wanted to know, i plan on hooking it up to a 37" 720p HDTV via VGA, the mac mini will support this right?

ALSO!!!! The only place in my setup that i want it to be is on top of my Xbox 360 which i play daily, will these two on top of eachother create a dangerous ammont of heat?

err404

macrumors 68030
Mar 4, 2007
The only place in my setup that i want it to be is on top of my Xbox 360 which i play daily, will these two on top of each other create a dangerous amount of heat?

If the 360 is in an VERY well ventilated spot, you should be OK. I'd have very few qualms with having the mini on top of my 360. but my setup is not typical. I have my 360 in a closed cabinet with the exhaust going through a tight fitting hole in the back. This why the 360 itself is always in ambient room temps with the cabinet closed to reduce the sound.

TK B$K

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 21, 2007
Portland OR
The 360 is in a great ventilated area and ive seen soo many pics on flickr of setups with a mini on a 360 so im positive i wont have anytroubles!

still havent ordered yet but but im still deciding on new or refurb!

wish me luck! thanks!

DarkNetworks

macrumors 68000
Apr 12, 2005
I have my Mini output via HDMI to my new 42" HDTV alongside a separate optical audio cable. Now I've in heaven! :cool:Good luck and forget about waiting for the new mini.

TK B$K

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 21, 2007
Portland OR
Well guys i went for it!! And im soo excited!

I placed my order last night for the Intel Core 2 Duo 2ghz, 120gb hd, 1gb ram REFURBISHED!

I cant wait!

just4funuk

macrumors newbie
Jul 11, 2006
Mac Mini

I purchased a Mac mini 1.66Ghz Core Duo earlier this week.

They are quiet and I have my Mac Mini connected to my 37" HD TV via PC input and I have no problems with the display @ 1024x768 @ 60Hz. The only item in the Mac Mini that could do with being upgraded/replaced by Apple on a future Mac Mini is the Intel Graphics card.If the machine is only to be used for every day Office type work(Surfing/Typing/playing DVD's) then you should not have any problems. But don't expect it to play 3D games.

The max memory these machines can have is 2GB.

http://support.apple.com/specs/macmini/

TK B$K

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 21, 2007
Portland OR
Im just soo excited!

Also about the 3 gigs of ram, on owc they show that they can do 3gigs of ram! So im not sure can anyone verify this?

Also, the only problem im gonna have is i hear theres no native 1366 x 768 res so i have to use some other program and making my own res, so no biggie tho!

ALSO again haha i got the wireless mighty mouse and keyboard but on the box it says i need an apple keyboard to set it up :( is that true? or can i turn them both on before i FIRST turn on the mini and they will set up? i thought i heard that somewhere. THANKS!

DarkNetworks

macrumors 68000
Apr 12, 2005
ALSO again haha i got the wireless mighty mouse and keyboard but on the box it says i need an apple keyboard to set it up :( is that true? or can i turn them both on before i FIRST turn on the mini and they will set up? i thought i heard that somewhere. THANKS!

Nah just start the Mini and you'll be asked in the setup to turn on your keyboard and mouse for pairing. No need for any other keyboard for setup.

ceehjayem

macrumors regular
Aug 12, 2006
I agree with everyone else. Core 2 Duo will be much faster. I want to get a mac mini as a 24 hour machine as well. Input a bigger hard drive on it and stream my movies to my Apple TV.

TK B$K

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 21, 2007
Portland OR
Yeah i mean i got a great deal and im way happy. 2ghz core 2 duo is gonna blaze and when i upgrade a couple gigs of ram its gonna be nice! maybe even a 7200 rpm hd and its gonna be tight im not sure yet its just mainly gonna be used for internet, movies and a media center for my setup.

OllyW

Staff member
Oct 11, 2005
The Black Country, England
Im just soo excited!

Also about the 3 gigs of ram, on owc they show that they can do 3gigs of ram! So im not sure can anyone verify this?

I've got 4GB in my mini, which is the same models as the one you have ordered.

Only 3.3GB is usable but by having 2 x 2GB fitted you keep the dual channel memory access. More details here and here

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    41.6 KB · Views: 71

TK B$K

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 21, 2007
Portland OR
Oh really? So i could put the full 4gb but only get 3.3gb used out of it? Well that would be fine with me! Yes i read that apple doesnt recommened a 1gb and 2gb stick because they want you to stay dual channel to be used with your vid card anyways thanks for that great info! I will not be going 4gb for sure!

Did you purchase yours from OWC? Or if not how much and where?

OllyW

Staff member
Oct 11, 2005
The Black Country, England
Oh really? So i could put the full 4gb but only get 3.3gb used out of it? Well that would be fine with me! Yes i read that apple doesnt recommened a 1gb and 2gb stick because they want you to stay dual channel to be used with your vid card anyways thanks for that great info! I will not be going 4gb for sure!

Did you purchase yours from OWC? Or if not how much and where?

I got mine from Crucial UK, they had a sale on 2GB RAM chips back in January.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.