PDA

View Full Version : big(ish) problem with macbook battery: keeps disconnecting!

ashjamben
Apr 8, 2008, 03:16 AM
just to fill you in first, i have a dec 07 2.2Ghz macbook which is totally stock and i have applecare

i noticed this last nite, suddenly my screen went off. i was confused and pressed a key on the keyboard and it came back up, thn went back off again. it did this a few times, until i noticed the battery icon had a little 'x' in it. when i plugged in the power supply it stopped doing it, but when i disconnected the power it did it again. i turned it off, removed the battery, put it back in and carried on as normal for a few hours, then went to bed.

i get up this mornin and start checking out macrumors :) 10 minutes in it disconnects again :s i scrolled over the battery with the 'x' in it this time and it says something like 'no battery available'. now the strange this is i've been writing this for about 5 mins and it keeps coming up with the battery not available, but seems to stay on :s

anyone know what this could be? warped battery or something?

i was planning on ringing apple up sometime anyway, as i discovered a massive heat crack the other day so will probably give them a ring in the next couple of days when i get the chance.

thanks for any help :)

ashjamben
Apr 8, 2008, 04:18 PM
bump.

i need help guys!

Bobioden
Apr 8, 2008, 05:36 PM
bump.

i need help guys!

You have APPLECARE, I suggest you use it and give them a call.

wedge234
Apr 8, 2008, 05:48 PM
at first I'd say to recondition the battery, but with a heat crack I wouldn't even mess with it. It seems like that there's not much that can be done on your end. There's the possibility there's a short or something like that going on.

ashjamben
Apr 9, 2008, 05:36 AM
just an update for anyone interested:

i called applecare and the guy tried resetting the power management and p-ram, i think. but it didn't work. he said to call back with the case number if it still happens, but i said i'd rather just visit the apple store as it's not too far away.

as for the crack, he gave me a case number but said theres nothing much he can do over the phone and said the apple store will give me a decision on it.

ashjamben
Apr 9, 2008, 01:13 PM
so i went to the apple store today. sod's law it didn't happen when i was there but he said it was probably something wrong with the circuitry in the battery and ordered me a new one.

as for the crack, he said it's a surface crack and doesn't make it any weaker, and theres nothing much they can do about it. but if it does get any worse or anything starts chipping away then bring it straight back and they'll sort it out.

wedge234
Apr 9, 2008, 02:35 PM
as for the crack, he said it's a surface crack and doesn't make it any weaker, and theres nothing much they can do about it. but if it does get any worse or anything starts chipping away then bring it straight back and they'll sort it out.

I would not take that as a solution at all. I'd raise cane until they decided to fix it for preventative purposes, not take a reactive approach, but that's just me.

ryannel2003
Apr 9, 2008, 04:04 PM
I would not take that as a solution at all. I'd raise cane until they decided to fix it for preventative purposes, not take a reactive approach, but that's just me.

Agreed. I would ask them to replace that, because it will most likely get worse over time.

ashjamben
Apr 12, 2008, 08:21 AM
just another update. i'm not sure if anyone is keeping track of this thread, but i like to think someone is :)

so i picked up the battery yesterday which was fitted and was off on my way. i was quite happy at first, the battery actually looked better because its more flush and flat with the rest of the laptop, and i have a brand new battery with no cycles :)

but then it shut off again, and again, so obviously the battery is not to blame here. d'oh! hopefully gonna get off to the apple store either tomorrow or monday. most probably monday as there was another guy at the genius bar who needed a repair, and the genius told him he can take it now (friday) but with it being the weekend won't have it done til monday, where as if he just brought it in monday he could do it in about an hour. i think i need to explain the problem more accurately to get a proper diagnosis, but the first time i went to the genius he mentioned something about it could be a logic board problem. :confused:

but anyway, hopefully get it repaired and sorted.

i'll keep whoevers reading updated :p

ashjamben
Apr 13, 2008, 10:39 AM
nice to see people care about me and my insignificent problem :D

anyway, i went to the apple store today and told them whats happened. he basically said that he's never known it happen before so doesn't know exactly what to repair. but, he's put down to repair the logic board, the magsafe connecter and battery connector to try and find te cause of the problem. of course with it being quite random they can't sure if one thing has fixed it or not, but he did say that they are the prelimanary parts he wants to repair.

so again, i'll update everyone (or no one) in 3-5 days time.

by the way, the spell checker in safari is so annoying on my mac, but i definetly miss it when i'm using a pc. im sure i've spelt a couple of things wrong in this post :p

OrangeSVTguy
Apr 13, 2008, 10:53 AM
Yeah definitely keep us posted. Wow with all those repairs, they should just give you a brand new one.

ashjamben
Apr 18, 2008, 01:57 AM
ok, i'm pretty sure no ones interested in this thread anymore but i wanna keep it goin for my sake :)

i got it back yesterday after the repairs, been mac-less for about 5 days!

hopefully will have sorted out the problem, but then again may not have. i hate it when people say this on here when they have the smallest, but if it does happen again i will probably just ask if i can have it replaced. its kind of annoying having to go back and fourth to the store and be without my laptop, whilst there doing some exploratory surgery on my mac!

thanks to everyone who read my thread :) i love you all