PDA

View Full Version : Anyone with a new Ibook G4 post their impressions here.

Cheap-Chopstix
Nov 9, 2003, 09:49 PM
Juss want to know some peeps who have had hands on experience with the new ibook or have juss received one. I'm really thinkin about gettin the 12 inch 800mhz version myself but would like impressions from people who have any versions.

jamdr
Nov 9, 2003, 10:25 PM
I've had the 12" iBook G4 for about a week now. I like it for the most part, but there are some things I don't like.

The speed is great. It's MUCH faster than the previous iBook G3 900 Mhz. My iBook scores about an 80 on XBench, which is a good, usable score. I run Photoshop CS and QuarkXPress 6.0 just fine. If I upgraded the RAM and got a faster hard drive it would work even better. I also really like the new slot-loading combo drive. It's a lot more elegant than the tray that used to shoot out, and it's fast. The keyboard is also a decent improvement over the iBook G3, although still nowhere near as nice and solid as the 12" PowerBook.

Okay, now the bad. The iBook scratches easily, even if you are extremely careful. In fact, it will come out of the box scratched, it's just the type of plastic used. You can't really notice it unless you hold it up to light, but it is there. The Aluminum does not scratch at all. In my opinion, the trackpad button is way too large, the same one as the previous generation. Also, the keyboard keys are attached with really flimsy, cheap plastic clips, so I don't recommend taking them off for any reason. I did, and now my delete key sticks up on one side. Again, the keys on the PowerBook are attached much better.

I guess that's it. I like the iBook a lot, and it's a great computer for the price (only $1000 with 256 MB memory and a combo drive with the edu discount!). However, I would personally prefer the PowerBook, and would have gotten it if I could somehow justify the extra $400 for the aluminum case. It will do very nicely until the 12" PowerBook G5 comes out :)

jrv3034
Nov 9, 2003, 11:00 PM
Well, my fiancÚ just got her 12" iBook G4. It's her first Mac, and she's very happy.

Cons: Well, I ordered it from MacMall with the extra ram installed, but when we tried to turn it on it wouldn't do anything. It was very frustrating. I eventually figured out the extra 512 mb of RAM seem to not work; as soon as I took it out, the thing started up without a hitch. Of course, now I've only got 128 mb in there, which makes OS X slooowwww.... at least until I get the replacement RAM.

Pros: Cool laptop! The looks are great, its small, but not tiny, and very classy overall. Awesome packaging, too! OS X is very nice. The screen is nice and bright, no dead pixels so far. I can't comment on the speed or snappiness of the system, because of the lack of RAM. I'll post more feedback as soon as I get it to its full 640 mb.

Overall, very pleased with it.

heljy
Nov 9, 2003, 11:19 PM
How about battery life? I know it depends on what you are doing/working on, but what is the average for say browsing, surfing, word processing?

I had a 600Mhz iBook and I got about 4 hours out from it if I am using it casually. I had airport on though.

The other disadvantage of the iBooks is that they do not support video spanning on external monitors and do not support clampshell mode( operating with external monitor, keyboard, mouse with lid close ). That was the main reason why I sold my old 600Mhz.

But i recently discovered that there's a firmware hack that enables that, so I am also considering the new 800Mhz G4 again.

Hope that helps.

*Actually all I want is a cheap mac that I can use temporarily before the G5 powerbooks arrive :D*

Rezet
Nov 10, 2003, 12:49 AM
Originally posted by heljy
How about battery life? I know it depends on what you are doing/working on, but what is the average for say browsing, surfing, word processing?

I had a 600Mhz iBook and I got about 4 hours out from it if I am using it casually. I had airport on though.

The other disadvantage of the iBooks is that they do not support video spanning on external monitors and do not support clampshell mode( operating with external monitor, keyboard, mouse with lid close ). That was the main reason why I sold my old 600Mhz.

But i recently discovered that there's a firmware hack that enables that, so I am also considering the new 800Mhz G4 again.

Hope that helps.

*Actually all I want is a cheap mac that I can use temporarily before the G5 powerbooks arrive :D*

Don't hold your breath for Powerbooks G5, buddy. I'm pretty sure that G4 series will be updated atleast once or even twice before they get to G5.
My prediction is that somewhere in may Powerbooks 15" will be 1.25 and 1.33ghz, while 17" wil get to 1.42.
And by next xmas, they will most likely get to 1.6ghz or so.
G5s have serious cooling issues. And I really see little need for an extremely powerful laptop right now. Besides, i don't think apple wants people replacing their desktop system with laptops...
If I were you, I'd just get nicely pimped out powerbook right now.

But 800mhz iBook isn't bad. FOR THE PRICE, it isn't bad at all. Depends on your situation, that might be the way to go...

johnnyjibbs
Nov 10, 2003, 03:24 AM
I thought there was a bigger profit margin on the bigger PowerBooks than desktops, but I could be wrong. Laptop computers are the future and Apple is still probably keen on increasing its laptop to desktop ratio (already good in terms of the rest of the industry).

Interesting abouty the new iBooks. I have a PB 12" 1 GHz and it hasn't scratched at all and I get 4 hours of battery. I'm pretty sure they're both really good machines. You wouldn't expect the iBooks to be quite as polished as their main aim is to be cheap. If you want a machine as a stop-gap before the G5, I'd get an iBook (the PB G5 will be at least a year yet). I expect my new machine to last me several years and will never sell it.

OziMac
Nov 10, 2003, 04:15 AM
Hate to say it, I have a brand new 12" AluBook and it sure as hell does scratch, and the scratches are uglier. I have tried to take immaculate care of the shell, keeping it covered and softly padded at all times. but somehow they still appear. I know one of them at least were caused when the stupid US customs lady turned it over in the tray at JFK after I had delicately placed it down face up on the tray surface. But other small nuiggling scratches persist which is incredibly annoying. Funny because my old 12" AluBook had barely any scratches...

... and my good old iPod is scratching all over, including an awful abrasion on the wheel that was on the iPod as I took it out of the boix but which Apple would not replace since it didn't affect the iPod's functionality. Fair enough, but it's still incredibly annoying.