Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple is now shipping Final Cut Server.

“For the past few months we’ve been using a beta of Final Cut Server to manage our entire workflow pipeline, 24/7, and it held up beautifully,” said Evan Schechtman, CTO of Radical Media. “Best of all, Final Cut Server integrates seamlessly with our home-grown solutions so it’s actually adding new value to systems we’ve relied on for years.”

Announced nearly one year ago at the 2007 NAB conference, Final Cut Server provides professional asset management with tight integration with Final Cut Studio. The product was originally scheduled to ship in "Summer 2007" but has seen extensive delays.

Final Cut Server is available immediately through the Apple Store, Apple’s retail stores and Apple Authorized Resellers for $999 (US) for one server and 10 concurrent client licenses, and $1,999 (US) for one server and unlimited client licenses.

Article Link

KindredMAC

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2003
yeah, glad they finally shipped something they talked about last year....
HOWEVER..... why take the store down on a TUESDAY MORNING for this?????

Got my hopes up for pretty much anything other than this.....

What a bummer today. :(

SharkySharky

macrumors member
Apr 29, 2007
Utah
yeah, glad they finally shipped something they talked about last year....
HOWEVER..... why take the store down on a TUESDAY MORNING for this?????

Got my hopes up for pretty much anything other than this.....

What a bummer today. :(

They HAVE to take the store down so they can update the Online Store and update their servers. They don't have much of a choice, plus some people might be looking forward to this and the sticker note saying the store is down has kind of become their way of "letting people know" that there is something new. It raises excitement. Sorry they let you down! haha! At least you aren't waiting for something specific that was rumored to come out today and then it didn't (so far)! hahaha!

I just want 10.5.3 after hearing about all these quick seeds! I am sure it's just security and bug fixes, but who doesn't like fixes like those? People always post "There aren't major changes, just bug fixes and added security, so why are you so impatient?"

Well, personally this things are more important to me then adding the ability to make the Menu Bar opaque(which I NEVER use). Bug fixes and added security are the MOST IMPORTANT kind of updates to an Operating System IMO! I can wait for months for new Stacks behavior, but when I get random crashes of Safari or other bugs like that, then I want those ASAP. Just my 2 cents.

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
So is this brand new app 64 bit (cocoa)?

If not, why not?

And when will we finally see the rest of the pro apps getting that update?

lord patton

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2005
Chicago
seems like the delay was used in part to offer private betas. Pretty good idea... the application is designed for users that won't tolerate too many bugs.

Kazr

macrumors newbie
Jun 14, 2007
Lincs, UK
Only a Year?

The product was originally scheduled to ship in "Summer 2007" but has seen extensive delays.

Man, looks like Apple have their work cut out if they're to get as good as MS in this field - only a one year delay!!!!!!! Pah, pathetic - would have expected another 2 at least.

Come on Apple!!!! What's going on!!?!

:D
:apple:

fluidedge

macrumors 65816
Nov 1, 2007
not sure if it's 64 bit - they're not shouting from the rooftops about it being so, so i'm not sure it is.

Why does this need to work on a windows computer? I hope the delay in getting this out isn't due to spending ages working on the windows port.

fluidedge

macrumors 65816
Nov 1, 2007
seems like the delay was used in part to offer private betas. Pretty good idea... the application is designed for users that won't tolerate too many bugs.

bang right - a tv station needing to make spots for the evening news can't be messing around with bugs and tech support if they've got really short deadlines. Lets hope they've got this one right first time, else it'd be enough for major companies to abandon Final Cut altogether and go Avid

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
not sure if it's 64 bit - they're not shouting from the rooftops about it being so, so i'm not sure it is.

Why does this need to work on a windows computer? I hope the delay in getting this out isn't due to spending ages working on the windows port.

Because the vast majority of users are windows users. Final Cut Server is an asset-management program so making sure everyone associated w/a particular project (the editor, the producer, the visual fx guy, the client, etc.,) can all see the media is important. So cross platform support is needed.

Lethal

fluidedge

macrumors 65816
Nov 1, 2007
final cut studio doesn't run on windows though does it?

Or is it so the after effects team can upload their projects to the final cut server and then the final cut editors can use them in the cut sequence. I'm with you now, i see why windows is needed.

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
final cut studio doesn't run on windows though does it?

Or is it so the after effects team can upload their projects to the final cut server and then the final cut editors can use them in the cut sequence. I'm with you now, i see why windows is needed.
The main app is Mac only, but the client software is Mac and Windows.

Lethal

djellison

macrumors 68020
Feb 2, 2007
Pasadena CA
This is a ripe market that has no serious contenders.

There are quite a few actually. And given the dependence on expensive Apple servers to run it - forget it. It's not even on my radar for asset management, something I'm looking at for work at the moment. Extensis Portfolio will do the job.

jpine

macrumors 6502
Jun 15, 2007
Someone had to whine or gripe, so it may as well be me. I'm still waiting for a new DVDSP revision.

change

macrumors member
Apr 2, 2008
Who knows...
Avid slipping

Avid's video product sales are already down, and their "confidence" in slashing their prices in half, and pointing out that no competitors have Asset Management Tools, then Apple announces Final Cut Server... I think Avid hears the nails in the coffin. They need to do something FAST if they want to stay in this game. I'm looking forward to checking out Final Cut Server. I don't think i am in dire need of it, but i know plenty of people that are! I think the delays and the beta period are fine. Pros need software they can count on to work, and work quickly, easily, and thoroughly. I wouldn't want to use Microsoft Windows Vista Professional Video Editing Suite, would you?

jaw04005

macrumors 601
Aug 19, 2003
AR
According to the guided tour, the asset management console is Windows and Mac compatible because it's Java. :rolleyes:

irmongoose

macrumors 68030
There are quite a few actually. And given the dependence on expensive Apple servers to run it - forget it. It's not even on my radar for asset management, something I'm looking at for work at the moment. Extensis Portfolio will do the job.

Portfolio for video asset management? I think the only real contender in this specific arena is Avid, and frankly their current offerings just suck.

irmongoose

jaw04005

macrumors 601
Aug 19, 2003
AR
And given the dependence on expensive Apple servers to run it - forget it. It's not even on my radar for asset management, something I'm looking at for work at the moment.

Maybe you missed the system requirements? The old iMac G5 1.8Ghz iMac I have in my closet would run this thing (not that I need FCS).

A Mac computer with a 1.8GHz or faster PowerPC G5, Intel Core Duo, Intel Core 2 Duo, or Intel Xeon processor (Intel Core Duo, Intel Core 2 Duo, or Intel Xeon processor recommended)
2GB of RAM (4GB recommended)
AGP or PCI Express Quartz Extreme graphics card (Final Cut Server is not compatible with integrated Intel graphics processors)
Mac OS X v10.5 or later
QuickTime 7.4.1 or later
A CD drive for installation
500MB of available disk space

Extensis Portfolio will do the job.

Extensis Portfolio Server is much more expensive, $6050 (Full) compared to $1999, and without any client licenses.

http://www.extensis.com/en/products/asset_management/product_detail.jsp?id=2010

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.