Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wedge234

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 23, 2008
San Francisco
So I got my macbook a couple of weeks ago, and I've noticed a couple of things regarding the case. On the lower body in the left hand side where the cosmetic screws are, I can push in on the case. It gives in about a centimeter, but there doesn't seem to be any visible exposure into the body of the machine. Secondly, the battery does not sit flush to the rest of the case (the battery is actually narrower than the case). Should I be concerned? I took it in to the store and showed the geniuses, and they believe there's no concern about either issue, but they did make notes and provided me with case numbers. Should I take what they said at face value or should I be a little more proactive and be concerned about this?

myuserid08

macrumors 6502
Mar 15, 2008
I wouldn't worry about it, I can push the side of the case in as well, I didn't notice until you mentioned it.
My battery also doesn't sit flush, neither does my brother-in-laws so its a fairly common problem.

Jeweller

macrumors regular
Feb 17, 2008
Denver
Should I take what they said at face value or should I be a little more proactive and be concerned about this?

Since you're obviously not satisfied with you're purchase, I'd say yes, pester them until they fix the problem. These issues are never going to stop bothering you, nor the fact that you didn't do everything you could to remedy them.

wedge234

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 23, 2008
San Francisco
Since you're obviously not satisfied with you're purchase, I'd say yes, pester them until they fix the problem. These issues are never going to stop bothering you, nor the fact that you didn't do everything you could to remedy them.

true enough. They gave me the option of exchanging it, but they said I'd have to pay the restocking fee, which I think is pretty lame.

I can live with them, I'm just more concerned about them being anything more than cosmetic. If the side is letting in dust, the battery has some internal defect causing it to be misshapen, etc., that's where my concern comes in to play.

wedge234

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 23, 2008
San Francisco
I wouldn't worry about it, I can push the side of the case in as well, I didn't notice until you mentioned it.
My battery also doesn't sit flush, neither does my brother-in-laws so its a fairly common problem.

The thing that weirds me out about it is that this being macbook no. 2 (since the geniuses did a number to the casing of macbook no. 1 a few weeks before that) has this problem, and macbook no. 1 had the battery sitting flush.

The whole case of this one feels really different than the one I initially bought. That one had smooth edges, no issues with the case, and a flush battery. This one, the battery isn't in quite right, the side's all squishy, and the edges are really sharp jagged.

I liked my first one better. :mad:

wedge234

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 23, 2008
San Francisco
Just an FYI, I talked to the store manager at the store here in SF, and he was saying that the sides are supposed to be "squishy" to allow expansion and retraction due to heat. It's a perfectly normal thing. Secondly, he was saying that the batteries are made to sit a little shallower than the edge of the case. If it was made to be flush with the side of the battery bay, it would chip and scratch up the edge, which they don't want. So everything's normal, and apparently my eyes were playing tricks on me with my first one.

Italchef

macrumors 6502
Nov 3, 2003
Maple, Ontario
Just to let you know, and maybe feel better about your machine, mine is exactly the same. There was a similar thread on here a few weeks ago talking about the squishy side thing. I had felt it in mine and wondered about it, but then I saw that it was the same with everyone. The battery thing I never really thought about, but it is true that making it a bit smaller will allow for expansion and limit the chipping.
Anyway, this gives me the opportunity to say how much I love the new Macbook. This is my first laptop and I'm loving the experience.
Enjoy,

Mick

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.