PDA

View Full Version : Taking notes with a macbook

lshirase
Apr 8, 2008, 02:32 PM
what program is best to take notes during class with a macbook?

Slayerboym88
Apr 8, 2008, 02:39 PM
what program is best to take notes during class with a macbook?

After "borrowing" a copy from a friend, I now use Word 08 which has a nice notebook view which kind of replicates OneNote. Admittedly, it is not too fantastic, and adding bullets gets a bit too complicated for what it is, since you have to keep the toolbox window open to add them in :(. For some classes, I still use OneNote which I installed on a bootcamp partition.

Manderson
Apr 8, 2008, 05:18 PM
I swear by text edit... Command + B to Bold new headings...

That's all I ever need....one long file per class so I can search easily within the document. Plus it opens quickly...

szsiddiq
Apr 8, 2008, 05:33 PM
i used to use google dox, but for really straight forward notes i like gmail as well.

kuebby
Apr 8, 2008, 05:49 PM
I swear by text edit... Command + B to Bold new headings...

That's all I ever need....one long file per class so I can search easily within the document. Plus it opens quickly...

I do the same thing except with Pages.

nick9191
Apr 8, 2008, 05:56 PM
Paper and Pen? Thats the easiest way of all.

If your set on using a computer then text edit.

pyr0sphere
Apr 8, 2008, 06:00 PM
I'm used to using Word 08. Looks nice

Manderson
Apr 8, 2008, 06:06 PM
Seriously... I use PhotoshopCS and the paintbrush tool...

It's very functional...

http://img359.imageshack.us/img359/407/picture1xv0.png

QCassidy352
Apr 8, 2008, 06:18 PM
notebook view in word works for me.

MacHappytjg
Apr 8, 2008, 07:16 PM
blah totally forgot my badddd er

It's very functional...

i use adobe cs3 premium but for other stuff lik for what its used for :D

heatmiser
Apr 8, 2008, 07:24 PM
Real Men Use Photoshop.

Seriously, Textedit.

Eric Lewis
Apr 8, 2008, 07:26 PM
i use adobe cs3 premium but for other stuff lik for what its used for :D

taking notes like that would take forever

i used pages for grade 12 on macbook air

theLimit
Apr 8, 2008, 07:33 PM
Bad idea for a post. Read the Terms of Service. :mad:

On topic: The rare few times I take notes on a laptop in class I use TextEdit. I've found that most instructors get annoyed trying to talk over the clickety-clack of people typing unless it's a class in a computer lab or large lecture hall.

MacHappytjg
Apr 8, 2008, 07:35 PM
Bad idea for a post. Read the Terms of Service. :mad:

holy crap forgot but like is it not illegal in canada cause like ...?

Eric Lewis
Apr 8, 2008, 07:36 PM
holy crap forgot but like is it not illegal in canada cause like ...?

stealing software in canada is still illegal

its the music business thats different

MacHappytjg
Apr 8, 2008, 07:38 PM
stealing software in canada is still illegal

its the music business thats different

meh the isps do nothing and no one i know has ever gotten caught but ffor the person with notes u can use open office if you have x11 i belive u need it in order to install open office its free

asme
Apr 8, 2008, 08:22 PM
I use Word's notebook view.

Possible alternative is NeoOffice. I also very much enjoy WriteRoom when I have an "easily distracted" phase.

Manderson
Apr 8, 2008, 08:46 PM
Wow that notebook view thing is hot.. never new about that.

nidserz
Apr 8, 2008, 09:17 PM
what is this "notebook view"
anyone care to post a screenshot? i have a pc atm with word2007 but cant figure out this view...thinking its a mac office 08 thing...
thanks in advance

thegilly
Apr 8, 2008, 10:04 PM
I use VoodooPad. It's lightweight, and it can be as complex or as simple as I need it to be. Failing that, TextEdit would be my go-to app. I have Pages and I have NeoOffice, but I think they're overkill for class notes. For that purpose I want something that's quick to load, quick to save, stable, and not too distracting. VoodooPad is more like a wiki than a notebook, you put in little links to other pages of your notes. The coolest thing is that VoodooPad happily exports your notes to your iPod--and the links still work on the iPod! It's also very keyboard friendly.

nidserz
Apr 9, 2008, 01:02 AM
nice [screenshot disappeared (maybe cuz of innapropriate language lol)]

i guess its a mac office thing cuz the pc version def doesnt have that...anyways another reason to look forward to my mac at the end of the month!

SFStateStudent
Apr 9, 2008, 03:49 AM
I switch back and forth between Pages and Word '08 (Word '04 prior), and I haven't taken notes in the past 2 years with anything but a MB in the classroom! :p

Ferrari83
Apr 9, 2008, 04:37 AM
Just use TextEdit,..or maybe stickies .. haha

bluedoggiant
Apr 9, 2008, 06:27 AM
VoodooPad from FlyingMeat.com

skye12
Apr 9, 2008, 06:35 AM
Don't need a computer for class notes. Can convert them later and it
helps you remember the content.

iFizz
Apr 9, 2008, 06:54 AM
I can't believe no one has suggested Circus Ponies' NoteBook. It works just a like a collection of spiral notebooks. Try before you buy. But trust me, it's awesome. I use it for just about everything...Projects, To Dos, Notes, Web Clippings, Blog Research, Food and Drink Recipes...you name it, it does it. Enough of me yapping about it. Just my 2 cents.

waterskier2007
Apr 9, 2008, 08:30 AM
use OmniOutliner, its included on every mac best note program ever

Daveoc64
Apr 9, 2008, 09:10 AM
what is this "notebook view"
anyone care to post a screenshot? i have a pc atm with word2007 but cant figure out this view...thinking its a mac office 08 thing...
thanks in advance

Notebook view is only in Word 2004 and 2008 for Mac.

The Windows version doesn't need it because Office 2003 and 2007 include OneNote which is a much more comprehensive note taking package.

krye
Apr 9, 2008, 09:44 AM

It's very functional...

I like to lug my Mac Plus to class and use Mac Paint.

bluedoggiant
Apr 9, 2008, 10:02 AM
use OmniOutliner, its included on every mac best note program ever

Not anymore.

waterskier2007
Apr 9, 2008, 10:05 AM
Not anymore.

oh really, sorry for the misinformation. if you can get a free serial for it i would recommend it

Macgirl87
Apr 9, 2008, 10:06 AM
I just use MS Word. Sometimes I take notes by hand and then later convert them into word and organize/try to make sense of them. It really helps me lock them in that way.

thegilly
Apr 9, 2008, 11:23 PM
I just use MS Word. Sometimes I take notes by hand and then later convert them into word and organize/try to make sense of them. It really helps me lock them in that way.

Sounds like that certainly works for you.

What's really coming across in this thread is that there are many ways to go about taking good notes in class, and the original question therefore has myriad possible answers. Even what constitutes "good notes" will vary--in a science course, your notes might well be full of concepts and terms you'll need to memorise. In maths, taking notes by hand may be the most practical solution. In a history course, the whole lecture may just be summarising material you should already know from the reading, so taking notes becomes just about taking down anything that's new. The applications that suit those tasks and those styles of taking notes may differ. I will say, though, that I cannot understand why anyone should think it at all important that the application used for taking notes look like a "real" paper notebook.

Some people swear by taking notes by hand. Personally, I've tried it both ways and discovered that I take far more comprehensive (and organised!) notes if I take my iBook to class (I type faster than I write, and typing seems to require less concentration). There's just no comparison for me. And the last thing I want to think about when I get home after a long day at university is having to type up notes I took by hand. So it's VoodooPad for me, and I never lose a page of notes, and I can drag in handouts and such once they're posted in the university's online education system so they're right there in the file with my notes for that day, and I can export my notes to my iPod with two clicks and sit reviewing all my notes while I wait for a lecture theatre to empty out so I can go in ...

But clearly, everyone's different. My advice to the OP is to try out a number of the applications people have been recommending--there is no "best" notetaking app, only one that's best for you. See what works for you. I'll just add "Mori", from Apokalypse Software, to the list. It didn't fit at all well with my notetaking style, so I switched to VoodooPad, but that's no reason it won't work for you!