Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dzhiurgis

macrumors member
Original poster
May 29, 2007
Hey,
i've just found this update on software update. Strangely link to kb doesn't work, completely no information on apple site.

Scottyk9

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2004
Canada
I got the notice of the update too, but no details for the update are up on apple's support page (as you mentioned).

Think I might wait a bit, as my MBA is working flawlessly right now.

Also looks like Al bluetooth keyboard update is available.

Scottyk9

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2004
Canada
And?

Did you have any problems with you MBA prior to the update (fans, core shutdown)? Any difference in the fans speed at "rest"?

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
The iMac also updated to 1.3 along with their keyboard firmware...

Missed what apple is fixing with all these EFI updates.

dzhiurgis

macrumors member
Original poster
May 29, 2007
No problems at all. However, it might be a placebo or smth, but it seems to work more silently.

The update stated something very usual: "increased stability bla bla"

AoWolf

macrumors 6502a
Nov 17, 2003
Daytona Beach
"This update fixes several issues to improve the stability of MacBook Air computers."

Can't be a bad thing...I hope!

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Hmm, no reboot required. Weird.

Are you sure you actually installed it, or just the efi updater.

After you have completed the software download, you must manually start the EFI update which will be located in the utilities folder.

Otherwise all you have done is download the update, not actually install it.

rom

macrumors regular
Jun 7, 2006
Fans

Seems like there is something going on with the fans. It used to hover consistently on 6200rpm when you start doing some "work" but now, it is more dynamic.

Testing video.

rom

macrumors regular
Jun 7, 2006
Update

Ran two youtube videos simultaneously on Safari 3.1 and fans running at 6200rpm but no core shutdown, no playback pauses. Looking good.

bananas

macrumors 6502
Aug 1, 2007
I had no issues before, but installed the update anyway. No noticeable changes here. My MBA is as good as it was. :)

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
Hope this fixes the "CPU core shutdown while watching video" issue.
It sounds like you're talking about Flash videos which are always a mess on OS X. Please don't call it an issue when Apple did document it at one point.

Seems like there is something going on with the fans. It used to hover consistently on 6200rpm when you start doing some "work" but now, it is more dynamic.

Testing video.

Ran two youtube videos simultaneously on Safari 3.1 and fans running at 6200rpm but no core shutdown, no playback pauses. Looking good.
I was hoping that Apple would tweak the thermal profiles. My MacBook seems to need a higher temperature before the fans spin up now as well.

ThanatosId

macrumors regular
Jun 29, 2007
Has anyone noticed that Memory is better used? Before the update, I always had over a gig inactive. Since, inactive is sitting consistently under 100Mbs.

ozthegweat

macrumors regular
Feb 20, 2007
Switzerland
It sounds like you're talking about Flash videos which are always a mess on OS X. Please don't call it an issue when Apple did document it at one point..

No, I'm not talking about that. I'm talking about the issue of which many threads exist in this forum. A core shuts down when watching video (not flash) on an external display and kernel_task uses ~60% CPU, which results in very low framerates. The core comes back (and kernel_task goes down to normal levels) the second I close the video, so this can't have anything to do with temperature, as the temperature wouldn't go down that quickly.

There is a 20$ solution with lowering the voltage, but I prefer a free, Apple-approved fix.

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
No, I'm not talking about that. I'm talking about the issue of which many threads exist in this forum. A core shuts down when watching video (not flash) on an external display and kernel_task uses ~60% CPU, which results in very low framerates. The core comes back (and kernel_task goes down to normal levels) the second I close the video, so this can't have anything to do with temperature, as the temperature wouldn't go down that quickly.

There is a 20$ solution with lowering the voltage, but I prefer a free, Apple-approved fix.
I've noticed the external display threads as well. Apple did have knowledge base article on core throttling having some relation to the GPU usage as well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.