PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft to become more of a monopoly with Longhorn.

MacBytes
Nov 10, 2003, 02:14 AM
Category: Microsoft
Link: Microsoft to become more of a monopoly with Longhorn. (http://zdnet.com.com/2100-1104_2-5103314.html)

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)

Approved by Mudbug

MrMacMan
Nov 10, 2003, 06:21 AM
So basically.

Use windows, never again be able to use anything else...

:mad:

Rasmuskl
Nov 10, 2003, 07:51 AM
Can't even use older versions of Windows.
Yes apple are bad people, trying to get people to upgrade to Panther.
Microsoft, just tries to make sure you can only use their product and only the newest, probably most expensive, and most propritary, and will most likely require you to upgrade your whole system. And werent M$ looking into building and selling systems for Longhorn.
Monopoly, Naaah.
Diabolical plan to infect the world with sub-standard OS and Systems, life-time employment guarantee for MSCE, guess it is a good time to get that certification.

1macker1
Nov 10, 2003, 08:53 AM
What's is MS doing that Apple isnt. Apple is trying to force people to upgrade to Panther. I still haven't seen the update that's will fix the reported problems with Jaguar.

Oh they released the updated....they called it Panther and charge 129.00 for it.

Apple is no less of a crook when it comes to business than MS.

billyboy
Nov 10, 2003, 10:09 AM
looks like MS competition have a couple of years to convince developers of the advantages of their browser style approach. And two years is a long time. However, if MS pull it off there are going to be happy HD manufacturers too as they start to prepare for mass orders for 500 gb drives to handle Longhorn

revenuee
Nov 10, 2003, 10:19 AM
And thats why Linux is winning the battle ... and freeing the world.

Anybody grap the latest issued of Wired... great article on how Linux is the future, because it's free, and everyone wants to use it... Huge selling point for OS 10 for me was the Unix core... and that i can easily run *nix programs along side my beloved apple software.

TomSmithMacEd
Nov 10, 2003, 02:24 PM
This will be scary when the only browser someone can use is Microsoft's and all businesses will be connected via .net. Let's pray it doesn't happen.

Nermal
Nov 10, 2003, 04:03 PM
The place where I work does everything in .net. I've spent a lot of time trying to make it all work properly in Safari. Basically, the .net framework says "you're not running IE, so I'm not going to send you some of the code!". Fortunately I managed to get around most of the problems.

I'm waiting for Mono to hit 1.0, then I'll do some tests and see whether it's a good idea to try to move over from .net to Mono. Hopefully it'll be reasonably simple.

But on the other hand, I was unsuccessful when I tried to push MySQL over MS SQL Server :(