Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Makosuke

macrumors 604
Aug 15, 2001
The Cool Part of CA, USA
I think it'd be pretty safe to say that it'll at least handle drives up to 137GB, and even if current rates of density increase continue (it's been slowing down quite a bit recently) it'll be several years before notebook drives get to that point.

As for weather it'll be able to handle drives bigger than that, it depends on the firmware. My offhand guess would be no, because it'll be so long before there's a necessity for notebook drives, but it's possible. You could ask them.

Nik_Doof

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2003
St Helens, UK
First think about power...

I've recently (and stupidly) bought a USB2 external drive caddy, thought it would suit me for my moving out and about....wrong.

USB2 can only push 0.1A over the host power, and my 2.5" HDD needed 0.5A. Thank god the caddy cost me £10 and the HDD was free.

If your buying a all in one solution that maybe fine for host powered over firewire, but just check first, main reason i bought my caddy was for portable without a external transformer.

Lucifer_sam

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 23, 2003
Madison WI
I didn't know that you had to use an external power supply with usb2. I thought it was the same as firewire.

thanks for the input

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.