Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stringtheorist

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 1, 2008
I want a black titlepage background to appear in my video and the only way I've so far been able to achieve this is insert a still frame copied from elsewhere in the video and then drop all the video output sliders to 0. However I can still see traces of the image. How can I get a completely blank frame to run my titles over?

RedTomato

macrumors 601
Mar 4, 2005
.. London ..
I recorded a couple of minutes on my camera with the lens cap on, and then I can use that wherever needed in iMovie.

If you save these couple of mins of blackness to a file, you can import it into other projects.

EDIT: if you're desperate, this might work: duplicate a clip, apply fade to black, then select the last frame and duplicate / freeze it.

theBB

macrumors 68020
Jan 3, 2006
In iMovie 06, you can select black background for your titles. Besides, in timeline mode you can push a clip towards right which inserts a black scene before it and black scene's duration is determined by how much you push that clip sideways.

stringtheorist

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 1, 2008
In iMovie 06, you can select black background for your titles. Besides, in timeline mode you can push a clip towards right which inserts a black scene before it and black scene's duration is determined by how much you push that clip sideways.

I'm using iMovie 7 so I suppose I should be able to do what you describe? I'll look into it.

stringtheorist

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 1, 2008
I recorded a couple of minutes on my camera with the lens cap on, and then I can use that wherever needed in iMovie.

If you save these couple of mins of blackness to a file, you can import it into other projects.

EDIT: if you're desperate, this might work: duplicate a clip, apply fade to black, then select the last frame and duplicate / freeze it.

I draped a black cloth in front of the camera on my iMac. It seems to work.

johnnyjibbs

macrumors 68030
Sep 18, 2003
London, UK
This is helpful for me too, thanks. But it doesn't escape the lame fact that iMovie ought to have such basic features as these, especially as '06 and previous versions did.

krye

macrumors 68000
Aug 21, 2007
USA

Good idea.

mindbites

macrumors newbie
Apr 9, 2008
I want a black titlepage background to appear in my video and the only way I've so far been able to achieve this is insert a still frame copied from elsewhere in the video and then drop all the video output sliders to 0. However I can still see traces of the image. How can I get a completely blank frame to run my titles over?

Hey there,

if you need some good tips on how to make/edit videos there's this site that has some good FREE instructional video tips. Check it out at this link to a website called mindbites.com

BeeVeePee

macrumors newbie
Dec 29, 2007
either use a blank title page or as the other fella said...just put a break in the clip...and slide it to the right to make a black clip

CpSco

macrumors newbie
Jul 12, 2008
I exported a blank black slide from Keynote as a JPEG, and pulled it into iMovie as a picture. I can make the duration whatever I want.

Courtaj

macrumors 6502a
Jul 3, 2008
Edinburgh, U.K.

I'm fairly certain there an "over black" option in the iMovie titles options, which, if you select it, puts your titles over a black background.

Also, in iMovie HD, as others have already suggested, if you just want black you can slide a clip along the timeline to the right to leave a gap between that and the previous shot. iMovie fills in the gap with black (actually, it doesn't "fill it in" but you get black by default). That way you can have as much black as you like. Does this not work on later versions?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.