Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nbmoose

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 5, 2008
Has anyone downloaded limewire to their MBA?
Work well? Any other suggestions as to what program I should use to Download music?

techlover828

macrumors 68020
Jun 28, 2007
Maine
limewire I'm sure would work fine. Your not really sopposed to talk about it here but if you're interested in getting whole albums search torrents and try downloading transmission.

Dustman

macrumors 65816
Apr 17, 2007
limewire I'm sure would work fine. Your not really sopposed to talk about it here but if you're interested in getting whole albums search torrents and try downloading transmission.

Bittorrents good for new singles and albums, where Gnutella would likely be fakes, but Limewires good for the odd song too. Runs great on my P4 hackintosh, majen it'll do just fine on a MBA

sushi

Moderator emeritus
Jul 19, 2002
キャンプスワ&#
why would that make a difference?
Wear and tear on the HD.

From what I understand, the 1.8 inch form factor is not meant for heavy HD use. Internet file sharing results in extensive HD access because you are not only downloading files but uploading as well (usually at slower speeds) so the HD is continuously working.

techlover828

macrumors 68020
Jun 28, 2007
Maine
Wear and tear on the HD.

From what I understand, the 1.8 inch form factor is not meant for heavy HD use. Internet file sharing results in extensive HD access because you are not only downloading files but uploading as well (usually at slower speeds) so the HD is continuously working.

gotcha, he might have the ssd

sushi

Moderator emeritus
Jul 19, 2002
キャンプスワ&#
gotcha, he might have the ssd
Excellent point. :)

However, would an SSD HD be good for this use? SSD has a limited, albeit very high, number of writes. Internet file sharing really uses a hard drive -- especially if you have many threads/channels going on at once.

For the occasional DL when you need something when on the go, probably no worries. I would not use an MBA's internal HD, regular or SSD, for continuous Internet file sharing. But that's just me. YMMV.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.