Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JSmoove05

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 4, 2007
The mighty mouse is so bad its ridculous. I loved to play warcraft 3 on my old vista computer but now it seems like the thrill is gone because I cant find a good mouse to play it with. The mighty mouse is terrible, my razer copperhead is not compatbile. I have not tryed these mouses with world of warcraft anyone know how they do. Can anyone recommend me the best possible mac gaming mouse thanks.

voyagerd

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2002
Rancho Cordova, CA
I was going to say the Razer mouse. What do you mean it is not compatible? Mac OS X will read any USB mouse. If you are having trouble assigning buttons, maybe try USB Overdrive?

iLao

macrumors member
Dec 26, 2007
Slovenia
Logitech LX8 Cordless optical mouse. I have it, and it's good.

And yeah I agree...Mighty mouse is terrible.

CJM

macrumors 68000
May 7, 2005
U.K.
I use the Logitech Revolution mouse. It's laser, has plenty of buttons and SteerMouse works as an excellent driver.

mckyvlle

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2007
London, UK
Either a Logitech MX518 or a G5. Many buttons, adjustable sensitivity, and adjustable weight on the G5. Plus they are wired mice, so no lag. :cool:

baadtaste

macrumors member
Mar 27, 2008
Norway
I've got a Logitech G5 - good tracking and wired - tried others but this is my best yet :) Use it for Halo wow etc - but I'm only a casual player. (although lvl 59):rolleyes:

tom.

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2007
San Francisco, CA
I use the Razer Deathadder and Logitech MX Revolution. Razer for gaming, Revolution for media and browsing.

They both work in OS X with USB overdrive, which is great, however the razer is significantly jumpier than it should be. Tracking isn't perfect.

Hope this helps.

kaltsasa

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2002
Kellogg IA
Agree on the Microsoft Mice, the Microsoft Optical Wheel mice are very comfortable. We deploy them with all our Macs at work now instead of teh mighty mice. We get them in 5 packs for like 50 bucks so it's not a big cost for the pleasure of our users.

tom.

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2007
San Francisco, CA
Agree on the Microsoft Mice, the Microsoft Optical Wheel mice are very comfortable. We deploy them with all our Macs at work now instead of teh mighty mice. We get them in 5 packs for like 50 bucks so it's not a big cost for the pleasure of our users.

Sounds like a good plan. I hate the mighty mouse so much!

Others should take a leaf out of this persons book.

siorai

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2007
I used to use the MX Revolution. Great mouse. Then one of the thumb buttons partially died a little while ago. On a whim I decided to try out the Logitech G9. I know.. I know.. It's a horribly uncomfortable looking mouse. It's not. It's probably the most comfortable mouse I've ever used. That might be due to how I hold my mouse though. Since I started using computers before mousewheels and middle mouse buttons, I'm used to using my index and middle fingers for the mouse buttons. I just shift my index finger over to use the wheel. The width of the G9 makes this very comfortable. All other mice have felt somewhat narrow. The G9 also comes with two different outer casings and weights so it's very customizable to your specific needs. With Steermouse, I'm pretty much in love with the G9. :D

Echinda

macrumors regular
Apr 24, 2003
Thirded on the execrableness of the mighty mouse. Who passed its right-click through QA?

I finally convinced my wife to play WoW with me (I know, awesome isn't it?). But she is using a mighty mouse and was getting hugely frustrated because she couldn't get the hang of reaching almost to the very front of the damn mouse to reliably get a right click in combat.

So thanks for the thread. You've inspired me to pick her up a new mouse.

hankolerd

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2007
Seattle, WA
if you are just for a gaming, get a gaming mouse, i would suggest one from logitech. if you want something to streamline everything you do on your computer, get the logitech mx revolution.:apple:

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
Either a Logitech MX518 or a G5.

Yup. I have the MX518 - 8 buttons, perfect shape, 1600 dpi (the new version has 1800 I believe). It's pretty much the perfect gaming mouse, IMO. It can't do weight adjustments like the G5, but it does have one extra button, and since I use steermouse, every button becomes supremely useful, both in games and for everyday use. :cool:

redsteven

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2006
I'd just like to clarify something about the mighty mouse... about the right click.

You don't have to do anything special on the RIGHT side of the mouse (somebody said you had to reach to the top of the mouse).

The problem is, you can't be touching the left side of the mouse at ALL. Shortly after buying my Rev A intel iMac I discovered that the mighty mouse will register EVERY click as a left click if there is any contact on the left side of the mouse. In other words, you must lift up your left finger when you click with your right finger.
I went back to the store and explained this to an employee there, and he confirmed what I was afraid of: that this was simply how the mighty mouse works, and there really isn't any way around it : \

I've gotten used to it, and I love the scroll ball for most things, however, I will admit that it's still not my choice of gaming mouse.

Another issue is that you can't right click and left click at the same time because of the reasons I listed above... as long as you're left clicking, u can't right click... at all. That makes it a no-no for games like Halo where you want to toss a grenade in the middle of shooting.

Also, the scroll ball, though, like I said, great for most work, doesn't do great with games. Many shooters allow you to scroll through weapons or perform other actions by moving your scroll wheel one click at a time. Problem is, the scroll ball is so sensitive that it's nearly impossible to move it only one click forward or backwards. I also accidentally brush against it sometimes.

Lastly, the squeeze buttons on the side aren't great. I'd much rather have two separate buttons that I can click. You can't use them independently (you have to click both at the same time), and it's too awkward an action to be able to do it quickly in a game.

I've been using a cheap Kensington Optical Elite mouse in a box. It's nothing special... just your standard left/right clicks with a scroll wheel (which is also a button, of course), and one extra button on each side of the mouse.

The mighty mouse is a great concept, but it's just not very practical for games : \

piranhaofeden

macrumors newbie
Feb 7, 2008
If you're looking for top-of-the line, you would want to look at the Razer ProClick 1.6, shown here:

http://www.razerpro.com//index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=12&Itemid=45

The Pro Solutions are specifically Mac-compatible versions of existing mice and keyboards that Razer makes - in this case, the ProClick 1.6 is a variant of the Diamondback 3G, shown here:

http://www.razerzone.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2_17&products_id=71

The only differences between the mouse you're using currently and what you'll see in the ProClick 1.6 is a slightly lower accuracy (dpi, fps, etc) but a faster tracking speed (from 45 in/s to 60-120 in/s).

However, choosing a gaming mouse is largely about feel - while the stats may be good, you're not going to play well if you're using a mouse you don't like. Go to a Best Buy or other computer store near you, see if the have any mouses on display...I happen to like specifically right-handed mice because i like the feel of them. Of course, you're only playing warcraft 3 (which does not require headshots) which means that you could probably get something you are just as happy with for much less than a Razer mouse. Check the websites I put in out, as well as logitech, microsoft, places like that. Best of Luck!

Xeem

macrumors 6502a
Feb 2, 2005
Minnesota
mouse is terrible, my razer copperhead is not compatbile. I have not tryed these mouses with world of warcraft anyone know how they do. Can anyone recommend me the best possible mac gaming mouse thanks.

I've read online that the Razer Pro|Click v1.6 drivers/software will work with the Copperhead in OS X. I'd give that (and, if that fails, Steermouse or USB Overdrive) a try before buying a new mouse.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.