Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Taustin Powers

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 5, 2005
Thinking about getting into designing maps for Unreal Tournament 3. Anyone have any experience with the editor? How involved is it, how bad is the learning curve?

I used to build with "Build" (Duke Nukem 3d) a long time ago, and I'm pretty good with the "Cube" engine. But I have a feeling the Unreal engine is a whole different animal...

hankolerd

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2007
Seattle, WA
i am wondering this too. i am waiting for ut3 to come to the mac so i can do stuff without booting into windows(because all my music is on my mac):apple:

sil3nc3

macrumors regular
Oct 14, 2007
I want to know this too. And whether it will run via Crossover :/ Comeon mac version with editor! I'll be waiting for eternity to finish before i get it :'(

Hobeaux

macrumors newbie
Apr 15, 2008
UT Editor

The editor isn't that hard to use you can either work in Subtractive space like previous Unreal games or Additive space which is new for UT3.

Subtractive
it's like having a solid cube a clay and carving out little rooms and tunnels to run around in, and adding geometry and nicknacks to add ambience.

Additive
The world is empty and you add walls, platforms, and stuff to create areas to run around in.

As far as how easy it is to learn, it's pretty easy (at least previous tech was--i haven't used the UT3 editor yet) or it can be wildly complex depending on how advanced you are.

As a minimum, creating a couple of rooms with a few lights and weapons can be done in a couple of minutes. If you want to get crazy with terrains, skies, particle emitters, and more... that will add to your learning curve.

There are a bunch of tutorials out there, including video tutorials to help get a handle on it.

From what I gather if you buy the highest-end version of UT3 on the PC it comes with a ton of video training.

There's a book on UE2 editing which I think will mostly be relevant--at least as far as geometry and texture placement is concerned.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.