Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

help4mac

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 9, 2008
Hi,

Does anyone know if a Mac G4 450MHZDP charges an original iPod Shuffle?
If yes is it only through the USB in the back or is off the keyboard port ok too?

Thanks!

deanflory

macrumors newbie
Apr 9, 2008
Cary, NC
400MHz G4 with USB 1.0 works with new 1GB iPod Shuffle

Hi, Does anyone know if a Mac G4 450MHZDP charges an original iPod Shuffle? If yes is it only through the USB in the back or is off the keyboard port ok too? Thanks!

I recently bought a new 1GB green iPod shuffle after the price drop (an intro of 2GB model). Before I got out the door, I noticed the box required USB 2.0 and I'm using it on a 400MHz G4 which only has USB 1.0. I asked the Apple guy that rung me up and he asked someone else (genius bar) and that guy either got on the phone or online and asked Apple (store support I guess).

:apple: Apple said it would work on USB 1.0 but would be slow.

I took it home, hooked it up, filled it with music, it charged faster than the specified 4 hrs (but left it on that first time for more than that to make sure).

I've had it now for about 3 weeks or so and I've had no problems other than some odd shuffle "disc not found" errors on the last load-up, which was easily thwarted by ejecting, disconnecting, and then reconnecting to continue dragging files to it.

Maybe my example helps you. I'm still unsure as to why their requirement of USB 2.0 is the minimum, only answer would be to expedite new 'puter sales which is becoming a bit more than a fad with Apple lately, sad to say, the :apple: monster is growing more monstrous with every release. :(

As to your question on the USB ports on the back vs. the ones on the keyboard, all info I've ever read leads me to believe the ones on the keyboard aren't really full ports and in many occasions I've read on new USB products that they don't work through the keyboard ports. I used the one on the back of my G4 and it worked.

When are they gonna add video chat/phone to the next gen iPhone? I was kinda expecting it from the initial release but alas... only then will I deem the iPhone the extraordinare it is hailed to be (yes I've played and drooled).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.