PDA

View Full Version : Adobe Releases Media Player for Mac and Windows

MacBytes
Apr 9, 2008, 10:41 AM
http://www.macbytes.com/images/bytessig.gif (http://www.macbytes.com)

Category: News and Press Releases
Link: Adobe Releases Media Player for Mac and Windows (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20080409114108)
Description:: Adobe Media Player software provides control and flexibility to view what you want, when you want whether online or offline. You can queue up and download your favorite Internet TV content, track and download new episodes automatically, and manage your personal video library for viewing at your convenience.

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)
Approved by Mudbug

iBunny
Apr 9, 2008, 10:53 AM
Looks interesting.

Minimum System requirements look ok, but the SysReq for HD 720p & 1080p are really high.

Hrmm, Im gonna have to try it when I get home and see.

<3 Adobe

skeep5
Apr 9, 2008, 10:53 AM
another media player... why?

InLikeALion
Apr 9, 2008, 11:14 AM

My thoughts exactly. Media players is not an area in which we need more fragmentation. Real Player anyone?

impierced
Apr 9, 2008, 11:14 AM

I was wondering the same thing, but least it's both Mac and PC. :)

Eidorian
Apr 9, 2008, 11:15 AM
I like it since I can queue up video to watch and keep for later. It still needs more content though. :D

ejrizo
Apr 9, 2008, 11:19 AM

maybe they are just sticking it to Microsoft over there want to be flash player? i dont know :confused:

Eraserhead
Apr 9, 2008, 11:28 AM
I was wondering the same thing, but least it's both Mac and PC. :)

It is a Windows app though:

There is a place for the close buttons on the Mac, its the left.

skeep5
Apr 9, 2008, 11:40 AM
just at first glance it appears to be CBS driven, as NBC already has their online lineup to watch. And for my first episode to watch via Adobe Media Player? A commercial came first! What a shock...

nagromme
Apr 9, 2008, 11:49 AM
Good--it was sad having only ONE Adobe media player on Mac (Flash). Of course, Shockwave is coming back to Mac, so then we'll have three Adobe media players.

Imagine if Adobe just made one!

Nah.

pbbaker123
Apr 9, 2008, 11:52 AM
screw adobe.

LeviG
Apr 9, 2008, 12:10 PM
Good--it was sad having only ONE Adobe media player on Mac (Flash). Of course, Shockwave is coming back to Mac, so then we'll have three Adobe media players.

Imagine if Adobe just made one!

Nah.

or even better just developed the codecs so they work with native players which are already on the system - yes I know some things aren't video :)

And going by the specs they really have focused on 'windows' performance because theres no way you need an extra 1GHz of cpu power to run the same 1080p file :rolleyes:

Burnsey
Apr 9, 2008, 12:41 PM
It's got decent content, but just like all adobe mac stuff, it's horribly inefficient. Uses %40 CPU on average for the user interface alone. Goes as high as %60. And this is on a C2D macbook pro.

big_malk
Apr 9, 2008, 12:43 PM
Windows style close/minimise buttons, windows style maximising, and not even a shadow below the window... shame on Adobe!

creator2456
Apr 9, 2008, 12:44 PM
The first picture is taken at the Home menu with no ad transitions running. When the top banner ad changes the CPU is jumping to 50-75. The second picture is taken while streaming video, but I saw it jump to 175. ~2.16 CD MBP

Eraserhead
Apr 9, 2008, 12:46 PM
It's got decent content, but just like all adobe mac stuff, it's horribly inefficient. Uses %40 CPU on average for the user interface alone. Goes as high as %60. And this is on a C2D macbook pro.

On my CD MacBook it goes above 100%, its a performance whore.

elppa
Apr 9, 2008, 01:10 PM
I'm split on this:

It's quite polished and some of the animations are pretty cool.

For new users having what is basically a web interface in an application is quite a good idea, most people knows how to use the web.

For me I didn't find it that useable, one too many clicks to do things and I found it a bit cluttered, like something Microsoft would make. It reminds me a bit of the Zune software. Maybe this is where application development is going outside the Mac.

It doesn't feel very Mac like, no command + , for preferences, no keybaord shortcuts (or traditional menus), no accessibility features.

This is a direct shot across the bows of iTunes video content. Interesting.

Oh and it is a case of fans, fans, fans for Laptop users!

80-90% CPU.

Edit: I believe this may be how the BBC will deliver cross platform iPlayer downloads.

The Phazer
Apr 9, 2008, 01:27 PM
Edit: I believe this may be how the BBC will deliver cross platform iPlayer downloads.

Yep, since Apple still won't licence out Fairplay, while timed expiry DRMed files will be usable with this player.

And hence why it's potentially a very big player, because many media organisations like that model a lot as it's much easier (to the point of even being plausible!) to clear third party rights for.

Phazer

freiheit
Apr 13, 2008, 01:02 AM
I'm split on this:

It's quite polished and some of the animations are pretty cool.

For new users having what is basically a web interface in an application is quite a good idea, most people knows how to use the web.

For me I didn't find it that useable, one too many clicks to do things and I found it a bit cluttered, like something Microsoft would make. It reminds me a bit of the Zune software. Maybe this is where application development is going outside the Mac.

It doesn't feel very Mac like, no command + , for preferences, no keybaord shortcuts (or traditional menus), no accessibility features.

This is a direct shot across the bows of iTunes video content. Interesting.

Oh and it is a case of fans, fans, fans for Laptop users!

80-90% CPU.

I wrote up a quick review of this on my website and came to similar conclusions but for different reasons. For one, I found something I wanted to watch (free, ad-sponsored episodes of The Twilight Zone) and all I got to watch were the opening commercials. The episodes gave an error advising me to click back and try again, which resulted in seeing the opening commercial again before getting another error about the video.

It's a pretty slick interface, if Windows-like, and the combination of paid-for and ad-sponsored content is somewhat unique, but if I can't watch the content, I certainly won't sit through commercials.