PDA

View Full Version : COD4:MW on Mac Pro Error

applemacman
Apr 9, 2008, 10:46 AM
I just received my 2.8 Quad Core Mac Pro with Nvidia 8800GT last week and I just finished installing XP with SP2. I went out and bought Call Of Duty 4 and installed it without a hitch. When I select single player an error message is displayed reading: DirectX encountered an unrecoverable error. Check the readme for possible solutions. I read through the readme and technical information but could not find a resolution. I installed the DirectX 9.0 but it still does not work. I contacted Activision and they responded...

"Unfortunately we are unable to provide any support for running our PC games on Mac hardware. On the PC that error usually means that the video card is not capable of running the game or that the video drivers are out of date. Since the video cards on Mac hardware don't use standard PC Nvidia drivers we have no way of directing you to an update."

Do I need to download in XP the Nvidia driver for XP or what is the problem? If someone could help I would be much obliged. Thanks for any responses in advance.

MacsRgr8
Apr 9, 2008, 02:34 PM
First of all.. the Mac Pro does use PC nVidia drivers. You can simply get the newest at nVidia's site, and you'll find out that the driver differences between the ones Apple deliver with the Mac Pro's restore DVD and nVidia's "latest" (December '07) are next to none.
So, just install the ones available at nVidia's site.... I just hope it will fix it for you...

I have a similar problem with Colin McRae DiRT on my '08 Mac Pro with GeForce 8800 GT.
Tried the game in both Win XP Pro (32 bits) SP2, and Vista Ultimate (64 bits) SP1 with the latest drivers form nVidia's site and it keeps crashing...

All other games (including Crysis) run perfectly well.
Haven't tried COD 4 though. So I wonder if updating the drivers will work.

applemacman
Apr 9, 2008, 04:02 PM
I downloaded the drivers for the NVIDIA 8800GT for XP from their site...installed and restarted and have had no problems since.