Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

juanster

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 2, 2007
toronto
sooooo it is available now, no more rumors, I just uploaded my first video to it. Now, I told my friend about it i was kind of excited, i juts got a Flickr membership, but he seems to think that it will make Flickr very hmm well spammy, like youtube kind of, i was wondering what you guys thought...

rogersmj

macrumors 68020
Sep 10, 2006
Indianapolis, IN
I doubt it's going to ruin Flickr or make it spammy: only Pro accounts can upload videos. All the MySpacers and such are not going to pay and be limited to 90 seconds on Flickr when they could just upload to YouTube or any of a dozen other sites for free. It's meant for video *art* or photo montages, and I think it will more or less stay in that realm.

juanster

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 2, 2007
toronto
I doubt it's going to ruin Flickr or make it spammy: only Pro accounts can upload videos. All the MySpacers and such are not going to pay and be limited to 90 seconds on Flickr when they could just upload to YouTube or any of a dozen other sites for free. It's meant for video *art* or photo montages, and I think it will more or less stay in that realm.

I sure hope so, and it does make sense what you said about myspacers not paying just to post videos... I thought anyone could upload videos but you are right only pro users can

disdat

macrumors regular
Jul 21, 2005
New England USA
Yeah, I was a little on the fence about the video. I just hope it doesn't turn into everyone posting videos of their favorite song because it works so well with a photo. I would like to see only original video.

rogersmj

macrumors 68020
Sep 10, 2006
Indianapolis, IN
^ I think the 90 second limitation will really help avoid things like that, because that's not long enough to put up a whole music video.

This will be perfect for augmenting photos. For example, if I were taking pictures of a fountain that had a cool pattern with several different jets of water firing at different times, I'd also want to take a short 30 second video and upload it with my pictures so that people could see the fountain in action.

stcanard

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2003
Vancouver
I've really been of two minds about this, but the more I think about it the less it bothers me.

Flickr is really good at segmenting itself into self-regulated societies, and I think that in the end the only people that will be seeing those videos will be the ones that are interested in seeing them.

If one of my contacts goes crazy and starts putting up a bunch of Jack@$$ style videos that I'm not interested in, I'll just stop visiting their stream (although given the nature of my contacts i would be very surprised if that happened).

Eventually it will self-regulate and everyone will be happy.

disdat

macrumors regular
Jul 21, 2005
New England USA
My concern is that Flickr has a hard time keeping up with just photos.

It is sometimes painfully slow to browse photos, and they need to work on their image compression. I am sometimes forced to upload photos with larger dimensions because their compression kills the quality of the photo.

I can think of a lot better ways to enhance the site and Video wouldn't be my first choice, although I will probably end up enjoying it...hopefully.

I did notice that by default the setting is to play videos immediately. I shut that off in my privacy settings.

I also noticed that once you watch a video, then go back to that page, the video has to download all over again. I would like it to stay cached. hmm, I dunno. Maybe it all depends on the settings of the video shooter. If they don't allow downloading, then maybe it has to download every time.

We'll see. I am not going to complain until I have a chance to see how it really works and if it even affects me.

juanster

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 2, 2007
toronto
Yeah so far so good, I dont have any complains I am actually enjoying it a lot so far. I like video on flickr, I don t have any complains about the photo compresssion either maybe I am just not that good yet as in to notice them ? I dunno. Like I said so far I am liking it very much

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.