PDA

View Full Version : Napster & Apple spar over digital music downloads

MacBytes
Nov 10, 2003, 12:35 PM
Category: Tunes
Link: Napster & Apple spar over digital music downloads (http://www.cnn.com/2003/TECH/ptech/11/10/digital.music.reut/index.html)

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)

Approved by Mudbug

Qunchuy
Nov 10, 2003, 02:31 PM
From the article:
In the first week that the revived Napster site was open for business, Apple's own iTunes service had outsold Napster five-to-one, Apple claimed.

Inaccurate and misleading, a senior Napster executive shot back a day later.

How is it inaccurate? Apple's 1.5 million vs. Napster's 300 thousand is outselling five-to-one. It's not inaccurate, it's simple arithmetic.

How is it misleading? Apple sold more in a "typical" week than Napster did in its much-hyped debut. It's not misleading, it's informative.

Bottom line: Napster did amazingly well for a latecomer to the online music sales business. They're definitely in the game. But Apple hasn't lost its edge.

1macker1
Nov 10, 2003, 02:34 PM
How can apple claim to have %80 of the market, when the others haven't been included in the report? Something isnt right here.

MrMacMan
Nov 10, 2003, 07:26 PM
Originally posted by 1macker1
How can apple claim to have %80 of the market, when the others haven't been included in the report? Something isnt right here.

You see this was based on another survey that they:
a) didn't give credit to
b) don't link to...

It is accurate I will say.

1 Week of downloading will not throw off the market share.

ITR 81
Nov 10, 2003, 07:31 PM
Apple didn't say that but sound scan did.

Napster is basing it on soundscan 800+k sold through iTunes but it doesn't count albums or audio books. I believe this is where Apple got it's 1.5 million tracks sold.

Napster only has said it got 300,000 tracks sold it did not come from soundscan..so Napster could be playing a mis-information game.

I would like to know how Napster makes money off a service that makes no money?? Also Napster and Apple both will take hits with new online services coming out from all sides. This means Apples 1.5 million could shrink to around a million and Napsters could shrink to 200,000 or less.