PDA

View Full Version : IBM release PDF "Product Brief" for PowerPC 750GX

Plutoniq
Nov 10, 2003, 12:49 PM
Just checking out IBM's site and noticed they have released a "Product Brief" PDF for the PowerPC 750GX. I don't know how much it expands on what info they have already released in their "New product highlight", but it's the first PDF they've released focusing soley on the 750GX product specs;

http://www-3.ibm.com/chips/techlib/techlib.nsf/techdocs/D6E15FAFF8BFB21387256DCC007B2114/$file/PPC750GX_10-23.pdf

"This two-page product brief describes the PowerPC 750GX microprocessor. The 750GX expands the capabilities of the IBM PowerPC 7xx processor family to support more performance-demanding and power-sensitive applications. Running at frequencies up to 1.1 GHz, the 750GX includes 1 MB of internal L2 cache, 4-way set-associative, running at core frequency with cache locking by way, additional L1 and L2 cache buffers allowing pipelining of up to four data cache miss operations, and the capability for up to 200-MHz operation of the 60x system bus interface with additional bus pipelining. The IBM PowerPC 750GX is ideally suited for a variety of systems, including networking, communications, storage, imaging, computing and consumer applications."

dieselg4
Nov 10, 2003, 02:32 PM
hrmm 1.1 GHz . . there goes my personal theory that 750GX + Alitvec might be the next G4 . . .
Anybody have any info on where the Moto G4's going next, since Apple feel s there "is lots of life left in it"?

Squire
Nov 10, 2003, 02:57 PM
My prediction: Apple throws this new G3 into a sub-compact notebook.

If it's technically possible, they'd be crazy not to. I think there's a market for a notebook smaller than either the 12" iBook or PowerBook. Currently, Sony, Fujitsu, and a few other companies are raking in the profits. Apple should give them some competition.

Squire

Fukui
Nov 10, 2003, 04:13 PM
Originally posted by Squire
My prediction: Apple throws this new G3 into a sub-compact notebook.

If it's technically possible, they'd be crazy not to. I think there's a market for a notebook smaller than either the 12" iBook or PowerBook. Currently, Sony, Fujitsu, and a few other companies are raking in the profits. Apple should give them some competition.

Squire
I would definitely buy one, I don't like the iBook...too big.

Wyrm
Nov 10, 2003, 10:12 PM
Ha ha ha - What about putting it in the...

NEWTON II?

a 1mb cache, integrated heatsink into the case design, handheld, low-power, maybe power-saving clocking flexibility, and nice touch screen running OSX?

-Wyrm

Squire
Nov 10, 2003, 11:59 PM
Originally posted by Wyrm
Ha ha ha - What about putting it in the...

NEWTON II?

a 1mb cache, integrated heatsink into the case design, handheld, low-power, maybe power-saving clocking flexibility, and nice touch screen running OSX?

-Wyrm

You beat me to it. (I figured there was going to be some overlap on those two threads.) Actually, I'd rather have a mini iBook than an Apple PDA. Like I said over there (in the other thread), my phone gives me the basic functions of a PDA anyway.

Question: If Apple did use this 750 GX in a notebook, what would they call it? Just The 10-inch iBook or something different? How about the iPad? (I just thought of that. ;) Nice ring to it, eh?)

Squire

Plutoniq
Nov 11, 2003, 03:04 AM
I think Apples use of the 7xx line (G3) is over..... IBM will probably continue the 750GX with a die-shrink to .09nm, probably get it up to 1.4 or 1.5ghz....get's kind of hazy from then on. My guess is that it will get a die-shrink alongside the PowerPC 970. The 750FX/GX sells well enough without needing Apple to continue it's development (G3 line).

Ibooks seem like they are set to receive "hand-me-down's" from the Powerbook line. When the Powerbook CPU is bumped up a notch, Ibook will inherit the Powerbook CPU that was replaced.....makes it nice and simple and predictible for Apple, with no chance of real performance overlap.

The PowerPC 750GX is really only now of interest to Mac Upgrade companies.....