Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

OrangeCuse44

macrumors 65832
Original poster
Oct 25, 2006
Out of nowhere my 4th gen iPod has the screen with a folder, exclamation point, and a web address (http://www.apple.com/support/ipod) and wont start up. This happened over the summer so I brought it to the apple store and the genius flashed it with some software and it booted back up. She said the hard drive is failing and this could happen again at any time. Well it just happened again but im hoping someone can point me to the software she used to bring it back to life. Id rather not make a trip to the store if i could do it from home.

Tim117

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2007
BC Canada
If you can get iTunes to respond to it. Try pressing the button 'Restore'

If that doesn't work then I'de say your best bet is to send it back to Apple. (Keep in mind I am no iPod/Mac/Apple genius)

Attachments

• Picture 1.jpg
    Picture 1.jpg
    362.5 KB · Views: 60

OrangeCuse44

macrumors 65832
Original poster
Oct 25, 2006
Well, when i plug it into my mac, the iPod gives me the Do Not Disconnect screen like it should, but its not being recognized by iTunes.

OrangeCuse44

macrumors 65832
Original poster
Oct 25, 2006
I just plugged it in again and itunes recognized it saying it was corrupt so im restoring it now. Hopefully it works.

Edit: In the middle of restoring it said "Could not restore because the iPod appears to be busy." The hard drive is wheezing when its plugged in.

bill-gates

macrumors member
Jul 22, 2007
or if you have a old ipod, whichj you do "not" use
put it on restore and take out the cable half way through the process to see what i mean :)

and i am not responseble if you want your ipod back to normal only do it if you want to!
:mad:

bill-gates

macrumors member
Jul 22, 2007
Now i got the iPod with a sad face. Ha, it gets worse.

hey try puting it into disk mode, try reseting it (toggle reset switch on and off then hold down select and menu buttons for 6 seconds) then as soon as the :apple: logo appears press down select and play/pause butons and then you should get a dont disconect screen with a tick or a x on it

hope this works!:D

my ipods buggered too....:(

bill-gates

macrumors member
Jul 22, 2007
Now i got the iPod with a sad face. Ha, it gets worse.

hey try puting it into disk mode, try reseting it (toggle reset switch on and off then hold down select and menu buttons for 6 seconds) then as soon as the :apple: logo appears press down select and play/pause butons and then you should get a dont disconect screen with a tick or a x on it

hope this works!:D

my ipods buggered too....:(

greenday123

macrumors 6502
Dec 15, 2005
NJ
On your mac, Go To The Applications Folder, Then go to Utilities, then double click Disk Utilitie. Click on your iPod, and click repair disk. This could help. Then try to restore it using iTunes. Do this while your iPod is in disk mode.

OrangeCuse44

macrumors 65832
Original poster
Oct 25, 2006
Tried to repair it in disk mode and received this:

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    134.1 KB · Views: 60

stealthninja

macrumors member
Aug 15, 2006
MI
i had the same thing happen to my 4th gen ipod and all I did was open it up and disconnect the hard drive for about 10 min or so (really can't remember exactly how long), then reconnect it and restore and it works fine now.
just something to try, unless you're scared of opening it up. I was before I tried it, but i fugured i had nothing to loose- it's not going to be any use if disk utility won't even fix it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.