Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LimeiBook86

macrumors G3
Original poster
May 4, 2002
Go Vegan
My Power Macintosh 7500/100 won't read CDs, it can read them, the drive sounds like its working then it stops but no CD icon on the desktop. The Mac is running Mac OS System 9 I don't know why it stoped, and can anyone tell me what is the name of the CD drive for the 7500/100 is it the Apple i600? I have 3 mac CD drives, I want to know which one is the right one!

AlphaTech

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2001
Natick, MA
You should be able to use any of the three spare cd drives you have, provided they have an Apple sticker on them. You only need to be careful of non-Apple stickered cd drives. Such as those that came inside the Mac clones. Even then, as long as the interface is correct, you can get software to make it work (cd-rom toolkit).

LimeiBook86

macrumors G3
Original poster
May 4, 2002
Go Vegan
It's me agian!

I have a old CD-ROM toolkit floppy, i noticed that the cd drive can be read from DriveSetup (its at SCSI ID 3), do you have a CD-ROM toolkit software or where I can find it, if I can't find my floppy......?

AlphaTech

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2001
Natick, MA
I have long since tossed whatever copy I did have. Check the version you have. If you have an Apple cd-rom drive, within an Apple system, you do not need the cdrom toolkit (can cause issues if you don't have the correct version for your OS). Can you boot from a OS installer cd?? If so, then I would suggest performing a clean install and see if it functions again. You can also try turning off the cdrom toolkit software, and turning on the Apple cdrom extension.

LimeiBook86

macrumors G3
Original poster
May 4, 2002
Go Vegan
I have Conflict Catcher....

I have conflict catcher, and ran a test, it said everything was ok, now i have a SCSI CD-RW drive, I'll hook it up to my 7500/100, I'll wipe out the hard drive and reinstall OS 9 (i wanted to do a clean instal but couldn't erase the HD because it was the startup disk, so i need to start up from a CD {can i startup from a network CD} to erase the HD and reistall 9 If all else fails I'll put the 7500's HD in my G4 and erase it from there, BECAUSE ALL I WANT TO DO IS ERASE MY 7500s HARD DRIVE AND PUT 0S 9 ON, thats all, thanks for your help so far!

AlphaTech

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2001
Natick, MA
I tried conflict catcher, once. After I brought my computer back from crash hell (caused by cc), I vowed to never again use that piece of crap software. They may have improved it, but I found that I can do everything I need with Apple's extension manager and my brain. I never trust an application to tell me if software is working with other applications until it is proven.

I guess I am just old school when it comes to things like that. I use my brain, not some utility that costs $x and is a one trick pony.

Hemingray

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2002
Ha ha haaa!
That happened to me too when I was given an old PM8500 from school surplus. I wiped the drive and fresh installed OS 9.1 and found out the CD-ROM drive wasn't an Apple drive! So, instead of using toolkit, I just went online and searched for the driver. Downloaded it, installed it, no problems.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.