Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BoostFab

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 3, 2008
the two logic board (motherboard) of the MackBook Pro and PowerBook G4 looks very similar, but i do not have two side by side in person. this idea was tossing around in my head, so what do you guys think ? has anyone done this swap ?

madmaxmedia

macrumors 68030
Dec 17, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
No go.

The overall internal design of the PB and MBP changed significantly, even if the logic board has roughly the same shape.

Take a look at the take-apart guides at iFixit.com, they have guides for all Apple notebooks.

killmoms

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2003
Durham, NC
Yeah, wouldn't work. The MacBook Pros are different sizes than the PowerBooks to begin with. Well, maybe the 17 is the same size, but the 15 definitely changed dimensions (wider and slimmer).

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
Also don't forget all the ports are different. Not to mention a swap would cost you upwards of $1000 for a new board, CPU, RAM, tools, etc. You're better offer buying a used MBP.

iToaster

macrumors 68000
May 3, 2007
In front of my MacBook Pro
The logic boards of the two machines vary too much physically to have that work.

be cool if you could get one in a 12 incher:cool:

I was actually thinking about that the other day. I figure with a little hacking, a MacBook motherboard could fit, but I think the port arrangement on the side is different (MBA would fit better, but it doesn't have the ports).

BoostFab

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 3, 2008
i have seen some MBP boards floating around for $400 or sometimes less. basically just need the board, intel cpu are pretty abundant, and memory are pretty abundant too, so main concern is the fitment and other components that plugs into the board.

someone send me your board, i promise to return it in a few days :D

The Flashing Fi

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2007
i have seen some MBP boards floating around for $400 or sometimes less. basically just need the board, intel cpu are pretty abundant, and memory are pretty abundant too, so main concern is the fitment and other components that plugs into the board.

someone send me your board, i promise to return it in a few days :D

The CPU for the Macbook and Macbook Pro is soldiered into the logic board, so if you buy a logic board, it should come with a CPU.

sr5878

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2007
this board has seen people like this before... he's just a troll. no matter what anyone says, he's going to (claim to) do it anyways.

move along, nothing to see here.

e12a

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2006
Far from a drop in conversion.

But if people can put a computer in an SNES, anything is possible. Just expect to do a lot of cutting and fab work. At least the MBP's internals are thinner.

don't forget you're going from PATA to SATA drives as well. LCD will probably be different along with the inverter board and you'll need to transfer the top case to the powerbook as well. Trackpad + keyboard and related hardware are different than the powerbook.

when all is said and done, the labor and money put into it could have bought a macbook pro.

BoostFab

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 3, 2008
this board has seen people like this before... he's just a troll. no matter what anyone says, he's going to (claim to) do it anyways.
move along, nothing to see here.
you are a bigger troll, this thread is irrelevant to you, since you don't have anything to contribute. I'm not claiming anything and I don't need to proof anything so feel free to move on out of here. these forums become boring and stale with people like you. i'm no noob, so don't get me started.

e12a said:
But if people can put a computer in an SNES, anything is possible. Just expect to do a lot of cutting and fab work. At least the MBP's internals are thinner.
my thought exaclty, this is a DIY-er so there's given it's not a drop-in affair.

e12a said:
don't forget you're going from PATA to SATA drives as well. LCD will probably be different along with the inverter board and you'll need to transfer the top case to the powerbook as well. Trackpad + keyboard and related hardware are different than the powerbook.
i'm a ware of that, as far as the components goes, that are aready taken into account.

e12a said:
when all is said and done, the labor and money put into it could have bought a macbook pro.
that's quite true, w/ the board being most expensive. this is a purely fun project, as i have many PB and MBP spare parts laying around.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
that's quite true, w/ the board being most expensive. this is a purely fun project, as i have many PB and MBP spare parts laying around.

In that case, you can do. I mean if you've already accounted for all the costs, I'd like to see the results if this is for fun!

Get to work ! ;)

BoostFab

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 3, 2008
absolutely.

this is just another example of how much skepticism and negativity coming from ppl when others bring up a contrary idea, similar to baxterbrittle's hi-def thread.

sorry for the little rant there.

poormansppc

macrumors newbie
Oct 13, 2009
Interested

you are a bigger troll, this thread is irrelevant to you, since you don't have anything to contribute. I'm not claiming anything and I don't need to proof anything so feel free to move on out of here. these forums become boring and stale with people like you. i'm no noob, so don't get me started.

my thought exaclty, this is a DIY-er so there's given it's not a drop-in affair.

i'm a ware of that, as far as the components goes, that are aready taken into account.

I think this subject is more relevant than ever since it's rumored that Snow Leopard will not be compatible with Powerbooks (not true by the way). Nevertheless, if a four or five year old Mac laptop cannot be upgraded, the integrity of the Mac Corp. is in question. Macs are already severely over priced (and this is well as it keeps many hackers out of the mix), but if one can't use such a computer a few years after it was released, then Mac's niche goes out the window.

I am looking for a cheap way to rebuild relevant Macs. Upgrading a PB's single core to a core due might not be possible, but it's not so far fetched that a MacBook's logic board could be dropped in a PB.

A few days ago I combined a vga model PB with a DVI model. I'm not familiar with MBs, but if I remember correctly, the ports are on the same side as the PBs. Once the logic board is removed from a PB, the only component left is going to be the optical drive. If that gets in the way, simply trash it, because optical drives are practically obsolete anyway. If you put a MB logic board into a PB, you will probably have to put a MB rib frame in as well. At this point, one should be able to begin installing the old PB parts.

Once again, I'm not familiar with MBs, but it looks like this wouldn't work with the MBP logic board. However, it does seem to be possible with the MB, since the logic board is so much smaller than the PB's. The battery on the MB is on the left side, rather than the right side as in the PB. Also, I'm not sure where the airport slot is on the MB.

I can't see why someone who is creative couldn't put an MB logic board into a PB case with many PB parts.

Here's a video of a MB's logic board being removed.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/kiZzTcHFtS4&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&hl=en&feature=player_embedded&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/kiZzTcHFtS4&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&hl=en&feature=player_embedded&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

I have a PB 1.33 12" and I haven't seen a reason why I need to upgrade to a MB or MBP. I have the latest Adobe design software and the latest Microsoft Office software on Leopard. The only time I have problems is when software conflicts, and I'm sure MBP users have the same problem.

Processing speed is reliant on several factors other than CPU, so upgrading the CPU really won't make a difference unless the RAM, HD, and Video Card are upgraded as well.

So basically, speed is about compatibility--not so much the GHz your processor can handle.

The real difference between PBs and MBs are the high definition screens (which is a gimmick created by corporations to boost the economy--come on, all they did was make the screen wider).

Peace.

http://www.stevenservis.com

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.