PDA

View Full Version : Should I buy a G4?


Nermal
Nov 11, 2003, 01:36 AM
I've got an 800 MHz iBook at the moment, and I'm getting frustrated with the small hard drive. I need something expandable. What are your opinions on the 1.25 GHz G4? Any horror stories I should know about before I part with my $1105* and buy it?

* I know they're normally $1299, I'm in New Zealand and I've "adjusted" the price to match how they're sold here.

CmdrLaForge
Nov 11, 2003, 01:58 AM
If its only the harddrive - why are you not just getting an external one. Would be the cheapest solution.

Sabenth
Nov 11, 2003, 02:47 AM
Have to agree here get an external if its just hard drive space you need i nearly bought the supper dupper model iBook g4 then relased that theres no need to i can buy an external and save myself extra cash .

Saying that if you really want an g4 go buy one your gona be using it not us lol

i have decided to buy a g4 iBook 800 and just updated the ram and buying a huge external drive at a later date

Nermal
Nov 11, 2003, 04:14 AM
I suppose I could just get an external HD, but then I'll probably find myself constrained by something else. My guess is the video card. I think maybe the best idea would be to sell this iBook while it'll still get a reasonably high price, and get the G4. The main concern I've got is needing to buy a separate display. I've also heard a lot of horror stories about newer Macs, so I'm just wondering whether there are any known issues with the G4s.

TyleRomeo
Nov 12, 2003, 09:26 PM
Originally posted by Nermal
I suppose I could just get an external HD, but then I'll probably find myself constrained by something else. My guess is the video card. I think maybe the best idea would be to sell this iBook while it'll still get a reasonably high price, and get the G4. The main concern I've got is needing to buy a separate display. I've also heard a lot of horror stories about newer Macs, so I'm just wondering whether there are any known issues with the G4s.

i have a dual 1.25 G4 firewire 400 and it works beautifully. G4 are solid they have been updated for over 3 years now.

Tyler

MoparShaha
Nov 12, 2003, 10:36 PM
Yeah, I'd agree with TyleRomeo, get a G4. They are fantastic. I've been so happy with my dual 1.25. Very fast, stable, and good looking. Coming from an iMac, I like how I can expand it. Two optical drive bays, four HD bays, plus upgradeable graphics card. It's a computer that will last. I haven't had any of the "problems" associated with the MDD Power Macs, but I have one of the later FW800 models. I think you'll be more than happy with the Power Mac.

abhishekit
Nov 13, 2003, 01:14 AM
Originally posted by Nermal
I suppose I could just get an external HD, but then I'll probably find myself constrained by something else. My guess is the video card. I think maybe the best idea would be to sell this iBook while it'll still get a reasonably high price, and get the G4. The main concern I've got is needing to buy a separate display. I've also heard a lot of horror stories about newer Macs, so I'm just wondering whether there are any known issues with the G4s.

well i got an ibook g4 last week...and its the sexiest thing i laid my hand on..fr a while.....excellent display...bright ....beautiful...its way better than my roommates 1800$ centrino machine....

cheers

abhi

Rezet
Nov 14, 2003, 12:47 AM
G4 is nice... but i'd go for 1.6 G5 or DUAL G4. I think single processor G4 is kind of old new now...

Nermal
Nov 14, 2003, 01:56 AM
I don't want a G5, because I need OS 9 bootability. And as a student, I can't justify going up to a dual. Looks like I'm going to dive in and get the G4, I'm trying to sell my iBook online right now, it's up to $1135 :) (here (http://www.trademe.co.nz/structure/auction_detail.asp?id=7043018) it is, multiply by 0.63 to convert to USD).

asgardn1
Nov 14, 2003, 02:51 AM
You should buy the G4. I would say a 1.6 G5, but if expandability is what you are looking for the G4 is the way to go for now.

Rezet
Nov 14, 2003, 04:03 AM
Originally posted by Nermal
I don't want a G5, because I need OS 9 bootability. And as a student, I can't justify going up to a dual. Looks like I'm going to dive in and get the G4, I'm trying to sell my iBook online right now, it's up to $1135 :) (here (http://www.trademe.co.nz/structure/auction_detail.asp?id=7043018) it is, multiply by 0.63 to convert to USD).

Listen dude, if you know what you want, then why the hell are you asking us?
You basically post it so people would agree with you to confirm you are making a reight decision or something?
And, Sorry but i think buying a single G4 tower right now is NOT a good idea.
Ask apple reps and see what they suggest.