PDA

View Full Version : Strange Buzz/Cracking when recording Audio

phatemon
Apr 11, 2008, 07:41 AM
Hey folks,

I'm at a loss. I have been using my M-Audio Firewire 410 (with latest drivers) with Logic Express 8 for a few months with out incident. The other day I turned everything on and when I went to use either Logic or Garageband with my guitar or bass I get a horrendous "electronic" sounding buzz in short bursts and cracking throughout. I tested with the software instrument and it records fine without and buzzing or cracking. The buzz is also recorded onto the track so when I listen back I can hear the sound.

I changed all the cables (instrument and firewire) which didn't fix it. I than connected the M-Audio Firewire 410 to my iMac which is running Leopard and Garageband, no Logic and I had no issues.

My question is could I have damaged the firewire card in the Macbook Pro? I am aware of the "hot swap" issues with the 410. The Macbook Pro does find the 410 and external hard drives. Is this buzzing a symptom of software or hardware?

You can hear a sample of the buzzing here (http://www.stroe.net/buzz.mp3)

Thanks for any assistance.

bsheridan
Apr 11, 2008, 07:45 AM
I know this happens when you have a mobile phone near the guitar pick ups so check that its well out of the way.
Due to interference from EM radiation, could possibly be from other devices too.

phatemon
Apr 11, 2008, 08:03 AM
That's what I thought it might have been at first so I turned off my cell phone and put it in a different room in the house but it still happens.

phatemon
Apr 13, 2008, 12:58 PM
for those that have a similar issue. It was resolved by turning off the bluetooth and airport.