Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

IlluminatedSage

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 1, 2000
http://www.cnet.com/8301-13924_1-9916414-64.html?tag=cnetfd.mt

Nvidia CEO goes on Intel rant

Nvidia CEO and co-founder Jen-Hsun Huang let rip with a diatribe against Intel at Nvidia's financial analyst day on Thursday. Huang cited frustration with recent Intel comments stating that discrete graphics cards will become "unnecessary."
Nvidia CEO Jen-Hsun Huang

Nvidia CEO Jen-Hsun Huang
(Credit: Nvidia)

Because Intel, the world's largest chipmaker, includes integrated-graphics silicon in most of its chipsets, the company has become the world's largest supplier of graphics chips. Its upcoming Nehalem processors will move the graphics from the chipset onto the same piece of silicon as the main processor. A design that is expected to result in vastly better performance.

This image of Intel as an unstoppable graphics juggernaut is what Huang takes issue with. What set him off initially was a comment from an Intel graphics and gaming technologist who said that consumers "probably won't need" discrete cards in the future. Nvidia's primary business is designing and supplying graphics chips for discrete graphics cards that go into PCs.

"We don't typically like to do this. It's just that we've been taking it and taking it and taking it. Every single frickin' day. Are you allowed to say that word? Every day all over the world. Enough is enough."

Huang was especially upset about Intel's claims of boosting integrated graphics performance in the future, saying Intel's claims paled against what Nvidia will achieve by that time.

"Claim after claim after claim. They're just false. They cross the line of fair play," he said. "Here's another one. Nvidia's gonna be dead. Because we're (Intel) sticking the graphics in the CPU and (Nvidia) will have no place to stick it," he said.

Huang also attacked Intel's marketing machine. "Just because they have this enormous marketing budget. Just because they have platforms everywhere in the world. It doesn't make it right. To take on smaller companies. It's just not right."

Huang also mounted an aggressive defense of gaming on the PC--one of the main reasons many consumers opt for Nvidia graphics chips. He began by claiming that Intel graphics can't run games. "We're not the only ones saying this. This is Tim Sweeney. One of the most important game developers in the entire world. 'Intel is incapable of running modern games. Intel's integrated graphics just don't work. I don't think they will ever work.' This wasn't said in 1994. This was said on March 10, 2008," Huang said.

"(It's) one of the most important apps. I play games. A lot more people play games today than before. It's a big industry. We happen to think games are important. Game developers are important. Game players are important. Online games, important. Retail games, important. First person shooters, important. Simulation games, important. I'm a perfectly grown adult. I'm not ashamed of them."

Intel also has plans to bring out a graphics engine code-named Larrabee that uses "many cores" to take on high-end engineering and scientific applications. And presumably games too.

When asked to comment, Intel spokesman Dan Snyder said, "Are you surprised? Nvidia's CEO has been very vocal about their feelings for several months now, so I don't think any of this comes as a surprise."

IlluminatedSage

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 1, 2000
Honestly, I don't mind the attention paid to this issue.

Intel integrated graphics chips are poorly conceived when you look at anything requiring gaming or moderate graphics work.

Time is now for apple to stop being cheap and use mid level graphics chips instead of integrated chips on macbook's and other computers.

Hmac

macrumors 68020
May 30, 2007
Midwest USA
"(It's) one of the most important apps. I play games. A lot more people play games today than before. It's a big industry. We happen to think games are important. Game developers are important. Game players are important. Online games, important. Retail games, important. First person shooters, important. Simulation games, important. I'm a perfectly grown adult. I'm not ashamed of them."

I wish Steve Jobs and Apple engineers shared some of this attitude. Clearly, they disagree with Mr. Huang.

BlackMax

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2007
North Carolina
Honestly, I don't mind the attention paid to this issue.

Intel integrated graphics chips are poorly conceived when you look at anything requiring gaming or moderate graphics work.

Time is now for apple to stop being cheap and use mid level graphics chips instead of integrated chips on macbook's and other computers.

I totally agree. Or offer a headless Mac we can update with our own already Apple supported 3D graphics card.

mahashel

macrumors 6502
May 5, 2005
"the lab"
I always liked nVidia's stuff. I've built many gaming systems over the past 10 years, and have had good luck with their gear.
That said, I'm very interested in seeing how the integration of the GPU & CPU pans out in the coming years. Intel is doing it one way, while AMD/ATI does it theirs. I'm all for price/performance, so I really hope it kicks butt; but I somehow doubt cramming a GPU into the main proc will be the best thing since sliced bread. (at least not for many years, while they tune it)
I don't think nVidia has much to worry about for quite some time.
Meanwhile, I DO think that this would make it the 400th time Intel has stuffed its foot in its mouth from a PR standpoint. Whenever AMD starts sucking wind, Intel seems to get more and more cheeky. I really hope AMD's new Spyder platform takes off, so Intel will shut up and go back to work.

topgunn

macrumors 68000
Nov 5, 2004
Houston
I totally agree. Or offer a headless Mac we can update with our own already Apple supported 3D graphics card.
Yeah, but it needs a catchy name because its not just any Mac; it's a pro's Mac. Lets call it the Mac Pro. Oh, wait...

thunderclap

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2003
I wish Steve Jobs and Apple engineers shared some of this attitude. Clearly, they disagree with Mr. Huang.

I agree. I remember reading an article with someone at Steam who said it's not that they don't want to do games on the Mac, it's that they don't get any support from Apple. If Apple really wanted to take the world by storm and have people migrate to the Mac then they should be courting all the PC game developers for Mac versions.

Cromulent

macrumors 604
Oct 2, 2006
The Land of Hope and Glory
Nvidia will die unless they start making processors.

They do make processors. GPUs or Graphics Processing Unit.

The advantage of graphics cards is that now you can do more than graphics on them using technologies such as CUDA from Nvidia. This gives developers huge amounts of processing power for complex maths such as physics engines.

The graphics card will not die anytime soon. In fact I think it is only just starting to get going with the potential uses it has.

zap2

macrumors 604
Mar 8, 2005
Washington D.C
I think as Intel improved their graphic support, there will be less of a reason for Apple to consider going back to the graphics of iBook/Mac Mini PPC.

I don't mind it that much, for me. I know some due, but Apple wants them to buy the higher end model, and the graphic situation is a decent solution to "force" people to spend more money

IlluminatedSage

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 1, 2000
I think as Intel improved their graphic support, there will be less of a reason for Apple to consider going back to the graphics of iBook/Mac Mini PPC.

I don't mind it that much, for me. I know some due, but Apple wants them to buy the higher end model, and the graphic situation is a decent solution to "force" people to spend more money

As Apple's marketshare goes up, it makes less and less sense to force their consumers to buy the higher end models for even moderate graphics performance. Apple ought to offer a decent graphics chip solution for low end models, not intel integrated GPU. If they did this, more software developers and game developers could release software on the mac.

without this, fewer consumers can buy the software on a mac to use them, hence a self fulfilling prophecy that mac's have less games or such.

apple could also focus on providing the state of the art GPU's on their higher end models. also to properly allow for upgrades.

right now Apple is being cheap and maximizing profits. it's sad that they do not see the bigger picture here. and that they could really help their userbase by using decent GPU's. also... that developers could do better as well.

Techguy172

macrumors 68000
Feb 2, 2007
Ontario Canada
I can't believe this guy It's pretty ridiculous, Instead of Ranting make a very completive product that is powerful affordable and efficient.

Most people don't need dedicated Graphics especially if your an office worker. there just isn't a point. I mean most people don't want to game anymore, Consoles are so much cheaper and have all the games and there is no compatibility issues, it just works.

intel cards aren't meant to play games any idiot knows that.

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
If Apple really wanted to take the world by storm and have people migrate to the Mac then they should be courting all the PC game developers for Mac versions.
I think you're overestimating the size of the gaming market. What Apple should be doing is looking at businesses and the enterprise market. That is where the money and largest market share lies.

Eraserhead

macrumors G4
Nov 3, 2005
UK
I agree. I remember reading an article with someone at Steam who said it's not that they don't want to do games on the Mac, it's that they don't get any support from Apple. If Apple really wanted to take the world by storm and have people migrate to the Mac then they should be courting all the PC game developers for Mac versions.

Why? PC gaming is essentially dead.

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
I can't believe this guy It's pretty ridiculous, Instead of Ranting make a very completive product that is powerful affordable and efficient.

Most people don't need dedicated Graphics especially if your an office worker. there just isn't a point. I mean most people don't want to game anymore, Consoles are so much cheaper and have all the games and there is no compatibility issues, it just works.

intel cards aren't meant to play games any idiot knows that.

Read it again. He is getting more piss about intel marketing BS. They are trying to limit where graphic cards can even go.

Intel keeps this up they are looking at anti trust law suits. The major graphic card makers will sue. AMD/ATI, nVidia, and the chipset makers themselves and intel will not have a leg to stand on.

Personally I think it is crap what intel is going to do. They are going to start putting it on there high end chips and more than likely make it difficult to use an sperated graphic card. The mother boards from intel that have integrated crap on them never work very well when one puts a dedicated card in them. The boards just do not play very nice with them.

Add in the fact the ram on dedicated cards is a hell of a lot faster this makes a huge differences.

IlluminatedSage

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 1, 2000
it all makes a huge difference. it would be great if apple could just meet the market in the middle.

get off the integrated graphics chips, and have a nice lower mid range option instead.

anyway, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to see Apple is using stock pc parts these days and not making huge technology statements these days.

so, if they are not entirely innovating with products like the macbook or even the Macbook Air, at least provide great bang for the buck! with a decent graphics chip!

hell, Macbooks are a very large part of mac volume these days, so it would be nice to get a decent graphics chip in there. instead, my wife has a laptop which has intel crappy integrated graphics

Techguy172

macrumors 68000
Feb 2, 2007
Ontario Canada
it all makes a huge difference. it would be great if apple could just meet the market in the middle.

get off the integrated graphics chips, and have a nice lower mid range option instead.

anyway, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to see Apple is using stock pc parts these days and not making huge technology statements these days.

so, if they are not entirely innovating with products like the macbook or even the Macbook Air, at least provide great bang for the buck! with a decent graphics chip!

hell, Macbooks are a very large part of mac volume these days, so it would be nice to get a decent graphics chip in there. instead, my wife has a laptop which has intel crappy integrated graphics

What's the point of dedicated if your not going to use it? Most people don't need it, unless your playing games or designing (neither of which the macbook is make to do) You just don't need it.

-::ubermann::-

macrumors regular
Sep 9, 2006
i have wondered the same, will someday graphics processor be in the same chip as the main processor? the market is large enough, with the consequent gain in performance
glad to hear these news, and i don't care about nvidia's opinion

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.