Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TheT

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 5, 2002
Germany
Hey there,

I've already had so much difficulties with Apple's earbuds (in fact, all iPod accessories), so I just ordered my 3rd or 4th set last week because they were broken again (no, the music was not too loud... I'm living in Europe, if you know what I mean, stupid software restriction!). Yeah, so I got 'em today. But this time, they're different.
When I bought my 15GB G3 iPod, I got ones with a dim metallic surface where you could kinda see through; also, the plug was one color only (this is hard to describe...) well, one obvious thing is that those protection-things that come with em were black. So now I got new ones. Same part#, but different design. They are a bit longer, have a chrome metal surface and a white/grey two color plug. The ear-protection things are grey now and there's only two of them (not two sets like with the black ones).
Basically, I just wanted to know if they actually re-designed their old, poor design or if those will be even worse because they are older. Any clarification would be really nice!
By the way: they still sound as crappy as the old(?) ones!

-TheT

Vector

macrumors 6502a
Feb 13, 2002
what you described are most likely G1 earbuds (possibly G2 but i am not sure they used that type then). The earbuds that came with G1 iPods have grey and white plastic on the earbuds and the connector. The foam pieces are grey and there is only one set, and the metallic surface has holes (each about 1mm around) rather than mesh. So it sounds like they sent old ones they had left over.

TheT

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 5, 2002
Germany
Originally posted by Vector
what you described are most likely G1 earbuds (possibly G2 but i am not sure they used that type then). The earbuds that came with G1 iPods have grey and white plastic on the earbuds and the connector. The foam pieces are grey and there is only one set, and the metallic surface has holes (each about 1mm around) rather than mesh. So it sounds like they sent old ones they had left over.
Thanks for your actually helpful reply :)

I don't know, maybe it's just me, but after listening with em for a while, they do seem a little bit better than the ones I had previously. Does anyone know if there's a difference apart from the design? Also, I don't see an improvement, if those are the old ones...

notkevin

macrumors member
Mar 26, 2003
I have had G1, G2 and G3 and have never had any problems with the earbuds. They are not the greatest, you may have to just go out to the local electronics shop and pick up a new pair.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.