Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

swwack91

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 28, 2007
New Jersey
When I choose the standard File > Export > Quicktime Movie command, the movie files that FCE creates lose their aspect ratio. I understand that 720x480 is anamorphic, but it should still come up as the proper aspect ratio.

My project is 16:9 and was edited in FCE that way in an anamorphic timeline. One of my projects maintained 16:9 just fine once I put it in iDVD, but this current project will only play fullscreen in iDVD.

Any suggestions for either program?

(I know I can use QuickTime conversion in FCE to create another file in 16:9 but all of the QuickTime conversion options lose quality)

HDhead

macrumors newbie
Mar 5, 2008
When I choose the standard File > Export > Quicktime Movie command, the movie files that FCE creates lose their aspect ratio. I understand that 720x480 is anamorphic, but it should still come up as the proper aspect ratio.

My project is 16:9 and was edited in FCE that way in an anamorphic timeline. One of my projects maintained 16:9 just fine once I put it in iDVD, but this current project will only play fullscreen in iDVD.

Any suggestions for either program?

(I know I can use QuickTime conversion in FCE to create another file in 16:9 but all of the QuickTime conversion options lose quality)

You got me confused. Are you saying that the DVD is not playing back 16x9 on a widescreen TV?

When you author a DVD you typically need to tell MPEG-2 encoder that the material is anamorphic. Could this be your issue?

swwack91

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 28, 2007
New Jersey
sorry. ok -

when i use the Export QuickTime Movie command, it exports my 16:9 timeline into a 720 x 480 video that should be anamorphic, but isn't.

when i put this video into iDVD, it displays it 4:3 instead of 16:9.

the trick is that some of my exports are 16:9 in iDVD and some are 4:3. i can't tell what's different between them, though, or what's telling iDVD what ratio they are.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.