PDA

View Full Version : any reason 4.0 experts here?

BeyondMountains
Apr 12, 2008, 01:10 AM
I just started trying this program out today and I have one question for now.

I went to:

-create instrument
-reDrum kits
-picked out a kit
then made a beat using the pattern tool on the bottom of the redrum.

is there a way to save that pattern as a loop?

or any other similar tools of making loops/beats using that kind of method?

bartelby
Apr 12, 2008, 01:31 AM
Did you programme the Redrum unit or put the pattern into the sequencer?

With the sequencer you need to draw a bar (or two) on the Redrum track. Double click it to enter the edit mode. (possibley double click with the pencil tool) then use the pencil to create the pattern.
To duplicate it it's just a case of:
Going back to the main sequencer window
holding option (Alt) down click and hold on the bar you created and drag across

EDIT: With the Redrum unit you need to use the little button between the Automation and Time sig controls to add the pattern selector:

EDIT2: I strongly suggest reading the manual. I've been using reason since version 2 and I need to read up on the new way of working.

Luap
Apr 12, 2008, 08:56 AM
is there a way to save that pattern as a loop?

Right click on your ReDrum panel and select "Copy Pattern To Track"
This does as you would expect.. Copies the pattern you made with ReDrum to the main sequencer ReDrum track.
If you do this, be sure to disable "Enable Pattern Section" light/button on ReDrum. Otherwise you'll now have 2 sequencers trying to trigger your ReDrum sounds.

This is basically making a midi pattern loop which is hopefully what you wanted. If you wanted an audio loop, then just play the pattern on its own, and go to the "File" menu and select "Export Song/Loop as audio file"

Hope this helps :)

BeyondMountains
Apr 12, 2008, 11:31 AM
yes this helped a lot, thank you both!

i have not gotten a chance to read the manual yet, im still reading the logic pro manual, which is pretty long :eek:

this is the kind of tool i always wanted in making beats

Luap
Apr 12, 2008, 01:21 PM
Glad i could help some :)

Reason is very good, and quite intuitive for the most part. I too want to get into Logic. I've used similar apps in the past like Cubase and Digital Performer, so hopefully it wont be hard to pick up. However, im sticking to learning 1 app at a time. Its easier and far less confusing!