PDA

View Full Version : Apple's OS Edge Is a Threat to Microsoft

MacBytes
Apr 12, 2008, 07:06 AM
http://www.macbytes.com/images/bytessig.gif (http://www.macbytes.com)

Category: Opinion/Interviews
Link: Apple's OS Edge Is a Threat to Microsoft (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20080412080609)
Description:: none

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)
Approved by Mudbug

rxse7en
Apr 12, 2008, 08:29 AM
Seems the author has confused Spaces with Boot Camp.

cohibadad
Apr 12, 2008, 08:42 AM
Disturbing how the writer seems to have little idea what he is observing and describing. He describes switching Spaces using keystrokes so he must be talking about virtualization using Parallels or VMWare. He compares the size of Vista with the size of the Mach kernel. He does grasp the significance of Mac OS X portability to multiple architecture and the role of iPhone in pushing the Mac platform into business, etc.

miniConvert
Apr 12, 2008, 08:46 AM
Well, I'm not sure how realistic the article is, but I love the idea. It'd be easy to think, when reading that article, that Apple have no issues with their hardware or software and that Microsoft have no software that works well. However, the notion of the OS X model of a modern operating system versus the Windows model of a 1980's approach sits well with me. But then I already converted my business to Apple, so perhaps that's why.

Zwhaler
Apr 12, 2008, 09:26 AM
Good article in the end, but the beginning was confusing as hell

cwt1nospam
Apr 12, 2008, 09:31 AM
It isn't so much the 1980's approach as it is Microsoft's business model. They sell to IT departments of large corporations, not end users. IT then influences the buying habits of end users either directly through corporate purchase requirements or indirectly through the users desire to be "compatible" with their work machine. IT has a natural preference for systems that preserve IT's status in corporate pecking orders. That means that the more other departments have needed IT, the better.

All that is changing though, as more people see iPods, iPhones, and especially Macs that can run Windows. As computing becomes more web based, IT loses its some of its control (can't stop the iPhone!) and even becomes more Apple friendly in some cases. Microsoft is losing its biggest ally.

Azmodon
Apr 12, 2008, 11:06 AM
How embarrassing for the author. ^_^

Eric Lewis
Apr 12, 2008, 11:09 AM
microsoft sucks

and apple will rule eventually

David G.
Apr 12, 2008, 11:23 AM
He also said that the MacBook has a multitouch trackpad. I wish it did.:(

JasonK
Apr 12, 2008, 03:22 PM
There was a good article written in Forbes a while back that described Apple's desire to control all forms of media in our lives, using the integration possibilities of phone, video, music, etc. As much as I hate one company dictating what I buy, the seamlessness of their devices makes it hard to leave the "cult". Working in the business community, it is easy to see how companies could benefit from their biome that they are creating. With the opening of the iphone for legit 3rd party software and support for exchange, and assuming they integrate 3g and gps in the 2nd version, it would be difficult for me to leave this comfy bubble I now live in :rolleyes:

twoodcc
Apr 13, 2008, 12:38 PM
He also said that the MacBook has a multitouch trackpad. I wish it did.:(

the Macbook Air does.

that article wasn't too bad. wasn't the best either i guess. i understood what he was trying to say though. i think it will take longer though for Apple to get way up there in market share. we'll see

DizzyRose
Apr 13, 2008, 01:57 PM
the Macbook Air does.

And so does the MacBook Pro :D

Willis
Apr 13, 2008, 04:51 PM
It isnt written that great and yes, there is some confusion in products/functions. It looks and reads more like a bunch of thoughts that were in their head at that time.

Oh well, nicely ended though

Donner
Apr 13, 2008, 07:38 PM
Seems the author has confused Spaces with Boot Camp.

It makes sense. OS X is in one Space and Windows (via Parallels or Fusion) is in another. It works great.

zap2
Apr 13, 2008, 07:43 PM
I don't think this is the end of MS's control of the market, I do think MS will need to begin to really improve their products to slow their lose of market share(which I think will happen, MS control how much they can keep)

Linux is a good server grade solution now, and Mac OS X is a good desktop/laptop solution.(Linux is usable here as well) And ultraportable can use Linux very well too.

MS can put up a fight in all those markets, but their going to lose some marketshare, as Google push Linux, Apple pushes Mac OS X

Santa Rosa
Apr 14, 2008, 08:50 AM
A well controlled environment, with software that is designed to run only on specific hardware. Apple is nothing more than that and thats how its so good.

That is something Microsoft will never have, well not for a very long time at least if that somehow ever happens hence they are gradually crippling themselves.

Its not rocket sience.