Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mac15

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Dec 29, 2001
Has anybody else used the omniweb update
its upto beta 6 and its way faster than IE and about the same as chimera
The full version of 4.1 will be awesome

Beej

macrumors 68020
Jan 6, 2002
Gunna grab it now. If it's as fast as Chimera, there must have been a huge speed increase since b5...

jelloshotsrule

macrumors G3
Feb 7, 2002
serendipity
i don't know, a lot of times i reload the macrumors main page and it takes as long in chimera (or longer) as it did in ie.

the thing i like though is that the whole thing comes up at once, rather than piece by piece.... how long ago was the new OW released? i'll have to check it out.

ps. has anyone else had trouble viewing qt movies in chimera? i'm using 2.7 and i couldn't view the qt files arn had of the handheld... they'd load, but wouldnt play right.....

alex_ant

macrumors 68020
Feb 5, 2002
All up in your bidness
It seems like it still is very choppy at page scrolling. I'm still waiting for something that can catch up to IE and iCab in this department. Despite being the choppiest OS X browser, though, it is still the best looking.

Alex

Beej

macrumors 68020
Jan 6, 2002
I have to say the new version is a lot snappier, but it's still pretty slow :( It sure is getting faster though.

jello - the new OW beta was released today.

jelloshotsrule

macrumors G3
Feb 7, 2002
serendipity
i got the latest ow now. i tried it. i like it... but. after folks convinced me to give chimera a decent chance (i had been using IE), i am stuck on chimera. i don't think omniweb is as good looking and not quite as quick. now, i did only use it very briefly, so i could easily be wrong...

however, i have noticed some problems with various things in chimera as i mentioned (downloading as well as viewing qt movies) so if i use omniweb for that stuff, rather than IE, that could work nicely.

what specifically can omniweb NOT do that people rely on IE for still? anything?

Geert

macrumors 6502a
May 28, 2001
.be
I know that the Media Player plugin does not seem to be working in OW.
And a lot of online radiostations use MP for their online stream.

Beej

macrumors 68020
Jan 6, 2002
Originally posted by jelloshotsrule
what specifically can omniweb NOT do that people rely on IE for still? anything?
JavaScript. IE's support is better than any other X browser, but it still leaves a lot to be desired. About the only reason I ever use Classic is to use IE in 9, when I can't get something to work in any X browser.

mac15

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Dec 29, 2001
Originally posted by Beej
JavaScript. IE's support is better than any other X browser, but it still leaves a lot to be desired. About the only reason I ever use Classic is to use IE in 9, when I can't get something to work in any X browser.

For all those out there who use OS X fully
just boot in 9 or classic and use IE because it screams compared to any browser on OS X

AmbitiousLemon

Moderator emeritus
Nov 28, 2001
down in Fraggle Rock
im hooked on tabs...

ow therefore is useless. i use mozilla 100% of the time. never need any other browser. if ow had tabs or if chimera was more complete id switch in a second. i'll only use a browser if it means i can delete the other ones. mozilla let me trash ie, no other browser will let me do that. and getting that m$ POS off my machine feels good. hard to believe some people still use it, but i suppose 95% of the folks out there still use the os that spawned it.

if ow had tabs it would be my browser.

i still don't like how you have to pay for it though. the giant "unlicensed" that flashes across the screen is very annoying.

its much slower than chimera or mozilla but is no longer the slowest osx browser (that award goes to ie). in fact id go as far to say that the speed difference between ow and mozilla is minimal. i still notice, but i could get used to ow, especially since things seem to be speeding with each release.

and there are lots of rendering problems. nearly half the sites i visit have minor rendering problems in ow. the sites are still usable but its frustrating that they haven't squelched the issue by now.

but id put up with all this if it just had tabs.

neither chimera nor ow have been built from scratch. both have had the benefit of years of development of a previous browser but ow still has major rendering issues. this concerns me and makes me wonder if they will ever get it right.

britboy

macrumors 68030
Nov 4, 2001
Argentina
You can even go to the apple store web site in OW now :)

This is a pretty good update. Still not as fast as navigator, but good nonetheless. Can i say bye bye to ie now?

Beej

macrumors 68020
Jan 6, 2002
Re: im hooked on tabs...

Originally posted by AmbitiousLemon
the giant "unlicensed" that flashes across the screen is very annoying.
It's supposed to be... they want you to cough up the dough to register :)

chmorley

macrumors 6502a
Jan 2, 2002
Denver, CO
Re: Omniweb update rocks

Originally posted by mac15
Has anybody else used the omniweb update
its upto beta 6 and its way faster than IE and about the same as chimera
The full version of 4.1 will be awesome
It's much faster. Still not as fast as Chimera (or Mozilla) on my machine.

I am looking forward to it and Chimera working as well as Mozilla at my favorite pages. Hopefully, 4.1 will be great. No tabs makes it tough for me to use, though. I am hooked on them as well.

IE stands alone as the slowest (and buggiest non-beta) browser.

Chris

whawho

macrumors regular
May 7, 2002
Columbus, OH
I have used OW and I don't think it is too fast. It's a beautiful browser but it lacks to many features to be used fulltime by me.

I still use IE about 95% of the time because of the javascript support. I also still think IE "feels" faster to me than Mozilla. Mozilla is a great browser and has all the features it needs but I still think it just "feels" slower to me.

Chimera will hopefully be the browser that will replace IE on my mac. Right now it is really fast but until it starts supporting plugins I just can't take it serious seeing how I need to be able to test flash and shockwave for my job.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.