Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lindmar

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 31, 2003
So Far so Good,, Recieved my iBook g4 12" yesterday!
At first the combo wouldnt read any audio cd's, called Apple care and they said I would have to send it back! I was pissed,,, they said to first try a clean install of the system.

This did the trick!
I am now pleased to say, everything is running beautiful!
The iBook is running soundtrack, final cut pro 4, and livetype, amazingly! Mind you, I have only used FCP 3 on a blue and white g3!

Also, I still have not upgraded the ram, was supposed to show up today but today is remeberance day in Canada so no mail!
Tommorow!
I imagine the ram will make a nice difference!

Everything else, is zippy as hell! Safari runs smooth, itunes running flawlessly, graphics are amazing, so beautiful!

I am one new proud portable mac owner!
I will keep you updated if anything breaks.

After the combo scare yesterday, I am considering buying Apple Care for the 3 years. What do you think?

jxyama

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2003
congratulations... :)

ram will make a big difference. i have a 1 GHz eMac with 128 mb and 867 MHz 12" PB with 640 mb. panthers runs much, much better on my PB... (no worry, i will be investing in a 512 MB stick for the eMac soon...)

i'd wait on the AppleCare. you have a year to purchase anyway...

lindmar

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 31, 2003
I am almost wondering if updating Panther screwed my combo yesterdya, cause the first thing I did after booting up and logging in yesterday was running Software update.?????

Of course, when I did a clean install I was brought back to 10.3

hmmmm....

phantommaul

macrumors member
Jan 8, 2002
istanbul,Turkey
thanx pal this was all i needed to hear, lately i had some concerns about the video editing performance of the ibook but if u say it runs fcp4 ok. then its ok for me to purchase.

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
Smart move by Apple

You know, if the iBook G4 updates had come out ahead of the Powerbook updates I'd very likely have bought one. Don't get me wrong - I really like my AlPB 15" - but for most of what I do the 14" iBook would've functioned just fine, and the iBooks look pretty cool; not to mention the price difference. Anyway, then I'd have been sitting pretty until the G5 Powerbook finally came out.

But who knows? At that point my daughter's Dell (my previous hand-me-down) may well have died, and I can't just leave her without a computer now can I??? :)

toughboy

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2003
Izmir, Turkey
Originally posted by phantommaul
there is always an excuse to buy a new mac :)

First of all, congratulations :)..

tibook 15" was my dream when I bought my 12"PBG4 Combo, and then they released 15"alubook and the new ibooks, and we still wish to buy the 15" macs..
I wish we would have infinite cash to create infinite excuses... :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.