Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

xlfodlx

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 12, 2008
I have a Macbook here that will turn on, battery is fine, and AC adapter is fine. Problem is, after it turns on there are no visuals, the monitor won't kick on for anything, and my CAPS and NUM locks won't light up when pushed. HDD is spinning, as well as the fans.... and suggestions? i've tried pulling the HDD and the extra RAM. Could it be the OS? or is it probably my MOBO. Any suggestions and or links to other forums would be much appreciated.

tMac85

macrumors 65816
Sep 15, 2007
in a great place
have you called apple?

or take it to the apple store.
sounds like you dont have apple care.

problem sounds sketch. is it new? used? how long have you had it? did it work before?

i guess some additional information is needed.

xlfodlx

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 12, 2008
any help is appreciated

It's not my computer so i'm not sure what was going on before this malfunction, sry. However, i have reseated the RAM several times, and in multiple different configurations... no luck there(makes me think it's the logic board). Also, no visuals what-so-ever, along with no 'chime'. Tried using just battery, just AC, and both. Tried reseting PMU, PRAM.
(neither caps nor num lock light up, CD drive kinda ate my reboot disk, but fan and HDD are spinning, along with both the AC adapter and the computers light on.) thanks for any help... if you're going to tell me to call APPLE, or take it to them, just don't bother. I'm not in the business of paying good money for a P.O.S machine

quest4apple

macrumors member
Apr 3, 2008
How old is the machine? I assume AppleCare is expired? As for it being a P.O.S machine, it may be a simple fix, or are you opposed to the Macbook in general?

Anyway, your original disc is in the CD-ROM? Have you tried starting up and pressing the Option key to try and boot from it?

How about a second machine? Can you boot the second machine in FW target disk mode, connect the two, and try to start the Macbook off the other computer's system? That would eliminate the OS as the culprit.

Or, can you start the Macbook in FW disk mode, connect it to another computer and access it's files?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.