Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dylanemcgregor

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 24, 2003
Sorry about starting another thread about a subject that I'm sure has been covered many, many time here. That's actually part of the problem; I can't think of the terms to narrow my search down to something that would be useful to me.

So I'm a PC user who is trying to connect a G4 running 10.2.2 to my wireless network. I installed a D-Link wireless card and installed the software for it. I've been able to get it to "see" my network and give me the option to connect to it, but if he tries to open up IE he gets a "Can't connect to server" error.

I have no idea where the internet preferences are set, and I wouldn't really know what to do with them if I found them. Isn't there some type of new connection wizard that should guide me through this and automatically set everything up?

Any help is appreciated. If there are any more specifics I can give you about either his setup or mine, please let me know. Thanks.

-Dylan

tomf87

macrumors 65816
Sep 10, 2003
Are you saying you put a D-Link card in a G4 tower? You may have to revert to D-Link's support on that one.

The preferences are set in System Preferences (Click the Apple in the upper left corner then System Preferences). Click Network. Under the drop down box, click Network Port Confgurations. Make sure the wireless NIC is selected and checked. Click the drop down box again to select the wireless NIC.

You should either have settings there or with the D-Link utility.

Also, you may want to upgrade to at least 10.2.6 of Mac OS X. That may be the culprit.

Using an Airport card in a Mac allows you to use the Airport utilities which are much easier.

mactastic

macrumors 68040
Apr 24, 2003
Colly-fornia
Yeah, even if you go with a third-party vendor for the base station, I would highly recommend sticking with the Airport card from Apple. Not much price difference with the cards, although I can definetly understand not wanting to pay for Apple's base staion.

dylanemcgregor

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 24, 2003
Thanks for the response so far. I misspoke before, it is a D-Link Wireless USB adapter not a PC card, and yes it is plugged into a G4 tower. I would have him update the software, but he can't get online yet. He's only going to be here a couple of weeks, so it isn't really worth it to send away for an update disc. (I think that is how it works if you don't update online?)

The Apple store only had wireless G adapters in stock and they cost over $100, the D-Link was $40 and is supposed to be compatible with Mac OS 10 .0.1 +.

Thanks for the info on where to find the System prefs. I'll fool around there for a little while and see if I can get it working.

-Dylan

dylanemcgregor

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 24, 2003
Thanks. Got it working. It turns out whoever set up his computer for Internet access last time had set everything to manual configuration. I just switched it to automatic and told it to use the wireless adapter, and voila... Easy as can be. Thanks very much for the help.

-Dylan

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.