PDA

View Full Version : at what volume would you say you need the volume of monitors at for accurate response

BeyondMountains
Apr 12, 2008, 08:04 PM
Particularly the krk rp series?

I'v read on mac rumors that they should be pretty loud

but

iv also read on other web pages such as here that lower (conversation level) is better http://www.homestudiozone.com/monitoring.php

There are a lot of opinions on how loud the sound should be for monitoring. I would recommend that you do most of your monitoring at a fairly low level, no louder than if you were listening to a conversation. This is for three reasons. Firstly, music always seems to sound better when you pump it up a bit and you really want it to sound as bad as it can be, secondly, you can be more discriminating at reasonable listening levels (in fact the quieter it is, the more you need to concentrate on the material), and thirdly, you won’t suffer from fatigue nearly as much. Every now and again though, you should turn the level up to see if there are any dominating sound at high volumes, especially at the high and low ends of the spectrum. A bass that sounds great at low levels, or a hi-hat that is perfectly balanced, can be overpowering when turned up.

BeyondMountains
Apr 12, 2008, 09:07 PM
Particularly the krk rp series?

I'v read on mac rumors that they should be pretty loud

but

iv also read on other web pages such as here that lower (conversation level) is better http://www.homestudiozone.com/monitoring.php

There are a lot of opinions on how loud the sound should be for monitoring. I would recommend that you do most of your monitoring at a fairly low level, no louder than if you were listening to a conversation. This is for three reasons. Firstly, music always seems to sound better when you pump it up a bit and you really want it to sound as bad as it can be, secondly, you can be more discriminating at reasonable listening levels (in fact the quieter it is, the more you need to concentrate on the material), and thirdly, you won’t suffer from fatigue nearly as much. Every now and again though, you should turn the level up to see if there are any dominating sound at high volumes, especially at the high and low ends of the spectrum. A bass that sounds great at low levels, or a hi-hat that is perfectly balanced, can be overpowering when turned up.

btw im asking because the rp8 are just too loud for listening at above the half way mark. but i think they still sound good at a lower level too. so its hard to say for me right now.

fernmeister
Apr 12, 2008, 09:49 PM
The long quote says it all. Keep the levels low for almost all the monitoring work, very rarely push the levels up to double-check EQ settings.

DJJONES
Apr 12, 2008, 10:59 PM
well depends on your monitors. since i got rp8s they need to be up a good way to get them to hit all the freqs together. at that point most people will be bothered by the level. vs me im a dj im used to it. thats why its important to buy monitors for the correct size of your room.

its still up to you to choose the vol level your comfortable and where you can make proper decisions and continue to mix at that level without needing to turn it down or up.
you should also check the mix at all vols to see where its at.

BeyondMountains
Apr 12, 2008, 11:10 PM
well depends on your monitors. since i got rp8s they need to be up a good way to get them to hit all the freqs together. at that point most people will be bothered by the level. vs me im a dj im used to it. thats why its important to buy monitors for the correct size of your room.

its still up to you to choose the vol level your comfortable and where you can make proper decisions and continue to mix at that level without needing to turn it down or up.
you should also check the mix at all vols to see where its at.

yeah i dont think i can put up with them all they way up,
btw i have been getting a strange sound from mine only during certain circumstances.

-when logic pro is open ill get this slight noise coming(sounds like a little hiss) from the top left portion ( sounds like its comming from the tweeter) but when its not open it wont make any sound.
-same thing happens when my toolplayer is open (what i use to play flac files)

do yours do this?
is it interference of some sort?

zimv20
Apr 12, 2008, 11:20 PM
fwiw, i mix between 60-80 dB (A weighting), occasionally turning it up louder to spot check. get a sound pressure meter to check your levels.

DJJONES
Apr 12, 2008, 11:31 PM
yeah i dont think i can put up with them all they way up,
btw i have been getting a strange sound from mine only during certain circumstances.

-when logic pro is open ill get this slight noise coming(sounds like a little hiss) from the top left portion ( sounds like its comming from the tweeter) but when its not open it wont make any sound.
-same thing happens when my toolplayer is open (what i use to play flac files)

do yours do this?
is it interference of some sort?

yeah mine does make a hissing noise im sure all monitors do that especially when you amplify the signal. if it bothers you that much return that one get a new one.
what do you use as your sound card? ?
if your using a mixer im sure thats causing it.

BeyondMountains
Apr 12, 2008, 11:44 PM
yeah mine does make a hissing noise im sure all monitors do that especially when you amplify the signal. if it bothers you that much return that one get a new one.
what do you use as your sound card? ?
if your using a mixer im sure thats causing it.

i'm using a m-audio profire 2626

i'm guessing if both of ours make the sound then they all do.
but its VERY weird
that the sound gets LOUDER when i open logic pro.
edit: i think the hiss is normal but when logic opens it adds a little like high pitched buzz, maybe its comming from the m-audio?

btw just bought these today. when i first got them plugged in i had them at about 75% volume and boy are they loud

BeyondMountains
Apr 12, 2008, 11:51 PM
also when i plug my crappy computer speakers into it they dont make any sound at all.

DJJONES
Apr 12, 2008, 11:58 PM
these are highpowered monitors that require more current then computer speakers.yeah im sure the hiss is normal. make sure in logic you have your m audio selected as your audio interface and also in system preferences.

DJJONES
Apr 13, 2008, 12:00 AM
also keep in mind when i have my cell phone around the speaker it does make like a buzzing sound so that maybe be your issue. but there is a lite hiss when the volume is up thats normal

BeyondMountains
Apr 13, 2008, 12:11 AM
i just want to thank you for helping me get to the bottom of this mysterious sound :)

well, the hiss occurs with them just being on, but its so low that it does not bother me

the sound that is annoying occurs when

-the monitors are getting ready to receive sound or are receiving sound.

-its like a high pitched sound, (like a hearing test buzz) it doesnt get louder with sound it stays pretty constant

- i know the cell phone noise but its not that, its completely dependent on the monitors receiving sound from my computer.

what do you have your system volume and hf adjustment (on the back of monitors) set to?

DJJONES
Apr 13, 2008, 12:26 AM
i have mine set at -2. and the db setting is +6db.
i have them set at -2 cuz when i played some my mixes back i notcied they were dull . so after sometime of playing with them then i got it.
these monitors arent going to improve your mixing right away especially since there your first pair its gonna take time to learn them. id say about 1 month and about 3-4 to really master them and get the ins and outs down on them.

BeyondMountains
Apr 13, 2008, 12:30 AM
i have mine set at -2. and the db setting is +6db.
i have them set at -2 cuz when i played some my mixes back i notcied they were dull . so after sometime of playing with them then i got it.
these monitors arent going to improve your mixing right away especially since there your first pair its gonna take time to learn them. id say about 1 month and about 3-4 to really master them and get the ins and outs down on them.

well they are already helping, i had the worst computer speakers in the world.

but this buzzing is driving me nuts! im going to call tech support tomorrow to see what they have to say

DJJONES
Apr 13, 2008, 12:32 AM
well they are already helping, i had the worst computer speakers in the world.

but this buzzing is driving me nuts! im going to call tech support tomorrow to see what they have to say
its only in one right????
just get it replaced. if anything.
last night i realized that one my tweeters in the right side monitor was a bit recessed compared to the other side i wish i noticed that when i bought them so i could have exchanged it lol.

BeyondMountains
Apr 13, 2008, 12:42 AM
its only in one right????
just get it replaced. if anything.
last night i realized that one my tweeters in the right side monitor was a bit recessed compared to the other side i wish i noticed that when i bought them so i could have exchanged it lol.

nope its both. think i blew something by having it too loud? but that was only for 5min and it wasnt even full blast, it was about 70%-75%

DJJONES
Apr 13, 2008, 12:43 AM
nah doubht u blew them believe me lol they can take a beating and i believe they fail before you can actually blow them the amp would just give out before they blow

BeyondMountains
Apr 13, 2008, 12:44 AM
nah doubht u blew them believe me lol they can take a beating and i believe they fail before you can actually blow them the amp would just give out before they blow

haha good to know. thanks for all this. i'll let you know what happens. what kind of music are you making?

DJJONES
Apr 13, 2008, 12:50 AM
lol this is my latest work i did this today.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/7iw2s6

original song
http://www.sendspace.com/file/mfd0ki

ive done everything from recording to producing. but my main stuff is remixing.

something your probably more familar with alcia keys no one
http://www.sendspace.com/file/994mm1

BeyondMountains
Apr 13, 2008, 01:05 AM
lol this is my latest work i did this today.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/7iw2s6

original song
http://www.sendspace.com/file/mfd0ki

ive done everything from recording to producing. but my main stuff is remixing.

something your probably more familar with alcia keys no one
http://www.sendspace.com/file/994mm1

man this stuff sounds great esp with the bass on these speakers!
what program are you using?

DJJONES
Apr 13, 2008, 01:08 AM
man this stuff sounds great esp with the bass on these speakers!
what program are you using?

acid pro 6 on windows lol i wish it runned on osx.
thanks for listening man !!!!! lol.
i got toooooonnnnssss of mixes. hours and hours on end of stuff.

BeyondMountains
Apr 13, 2008, 01:13 AM
acid pro 6 on windows lol i wish it runned on osx.
thanks for listening man !!!!! lol.
i got toooooonnnnssss of mixes. hours and hours on end of stuff.

ahhh windows haha. i'm guessing you dj with your mixes?

DJJONES
Apr 13, 2008, 01:16 AM
ahhh windows haha. i'm guessing you dj with your mixes?

actually i dont. i leave it for other djs from my community to play LOL!. i usally just play the originals because i think its takes more work working up a crowd with original songs vs all remixes etcccc. but sometimes i will test out a new one. im only 17 so im still learning as far as djing goes. but i hope i can really make something out of it.

BeyondMountains
Apr 13, 2008, 01:19 AM
actually i dont. i leave it for other djs from my community to play LOL!. i usally just play the originals because i think its takes more work working up a crowd with original songs vs all remixes etcccc. but sometimes i will test out a new one. im only 17 so im still learning as far as djing goes. but i hope i can really make something out of it.

not bad man keep it up, its getting late here i need to get going. thanks for the help, take care.

DJJONES
Apr 13, 2008, 01:25 AM
not bad man keep it up, its getting late here i need to get going. thanks for the help, take care.

np!!! lol

BeyondMountains
Apr 13, 2008, 04:44 PM
dj jonessss i figured it out man
it was the FRONT firewire port!!

i plugged it in the back and that terrible sound is gone.

DJJONES
Apr 13, 2008, 05:34 PM
ook well thats the port i have my card plugged in as well.