Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JackAxe

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 6, 2004
In a cup of orange juice.
Check out the Wii on my Canon's tiny LCD screen. I also funneled it to my Mac via Firewire.

I wanted to see how to go about recording games directly. The only problem is that it's a composite input.

It's overly fuzzy on my 30" and there's noticeable latency, which of course effects the cursors movement and makes it harder to control. The image on the little LCD though, is really crisp in person and has no noticeable latency.

Blah.
<]=)

Attachments

• wii_close.jpg
    wii_close.jpg
    119.4 KB · Views: 148
  • wii_full.jpg
    wii_full.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 109

spyker3292

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2005
Michigan
I use EyeTV in the rare instances I want to record something. I just have to use a screen recorder to record EyeTV because EyeTV's recorder adds lag.

mrgreen4242

macrumors 601
Feb 10, 2004
Just a thought, but couldn't you just split the signal and send one to your TV and one to the cam? You should be able to play on the big screen with 0 lag and the cam will record the video separately. If you keep the wiring short splitting it shouldn't introduce much/any signal loss...

JackAxe

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 6, 2004
Spliting would be better. I'm assuming that if I record straight to the camera's DV tape there will be no latency, since there's none on its screen. Then from there I could just import the clip via Firewire.

I noticed that Final Cut Pro seemed to have a little bit less latency than iMovie, but I could see the interlacing more.

spyker3292,

I've been thinking about getting an EyeTV for my Wii. I almost bought one when I first got it, but I opted for a little 19" HD LCD instead, which I use for some games, but mostly I just play on my lil 14" CRT. :) I still want one though. Sometimes I want to game on a larger screen. :eek:

<]=)

darkwing

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2004
That brings back memories... I mainly bought my video camera to get video to the mac via firewire. :)

JackAxe

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 6, 2004
Firewire is great. :) I only paid about $300 for my little Canon. It's been a good camcorder. Firewire was really the only requirement I had when picking one out, besides the price.

It would have been cool if I could turn off the Canon's LCD menu icons and displayed the content in widescreen -- there's a button for this, but it doesn't work in this mode.

<]=)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.