PDA

View Full Version : Japanese Translation Req: iMac/Cube?

arn
Nov 11, 2003, 03:41 PM
http://www.kodawarisan.com/ug/

November 7th entry please.

Human translation please. I've seen the automated one.

arn

jxyama
Nov 11, 2003, 04:22 PM
November 7, 2003.

* The keyword for new iMac: Cube?

It seems iMac with a completely new form factor will be introduced at Macworld SF2004. According to the sources, a Taiwanese metal mold manufacturer** (for plastic/polymer molding) is making cubic shaped metal molds presumably to be used for the new iMac.

** it's not clear from the article whether there's one metal molding company or more than one...

XnavxeMiyyep
Nov 11, 2003, 04:28 PM
Could this be the coming of a G5 iMac? Or maybe the rebirth of the Cube?

jxyama
Nov 11, 2003, 04:51 PM
i'd tend to think G5 iMac is still a bit away. don't want to "commoditize" the G5 chip by putting them in the iMac?

who knows. Kodawarisan hasn't been very accurate in the past, so i wouldn't put too much stock in this... plus wouldn't apple be kind of "cheating" a bit if instead of introducing a brand new form factor, it simply recycles an old one? :D

strider42
Nov 11, 2003, 05:00 PM
Originally posted by jxyama
i'd tend to think G5 iMac is still a bit away. don't want to "commoditize" the G5 chip by putting them in the iMac?

who knows. Kodawarisan hasn't been very accurate in the past, so i wouldn't put too much stock in this... plus wouldn't apple be kind of "cheating" a bit if instead of introducing a brand new form factor, it simply recycles an old one? :D

I'd rather think apple wants to commoditize it, in that it makes it cheaper for them to use. By having a lot of other cool features ont he power macs and making them all duals, it could easily work.

That said I believe G5 iMacs are a little ways away.

Whats wrong with recycling designs. You might argue the current iMac takes more than a few cues fromt he 20th anniversary mac or the cube anyway. But I would really be surprised if the cube shape made its way into the iMac line. It would probably be bulkier, less stable as a base, not as organic or attractive looking witht he monitor attached to it. Just seems like it would work aesthetically or functionally to me.

hugemullens
Nov 11, 2003, 07:00 PM
Maybe its a "in-between-the-imac-powermac" type of machine. I know apple keeps its product lines streamlined to reduce confusion, but i would love to see a headless, single processor G5, with all the powermacs being duals. I would rush out the door in a hurry to buy one, as it is i am trying to save up for a rev. b 1.8ghz G5 (or the equivalent at the time of the new ones). Just me dreaming, but i would like to see it.

Dreamail
Nov 11, 2003, 10:18 PM
This Kodawarisan article might tie in with that posting over on SpyMac (http://www.spymac.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=48363&perpage=1&pagenumber=60).

"Single 2.0GHz G5 'Anniversary' Cube. Same acryic case as the original, but with an anodized aluminum inner shell. Air cooled (to everyone's amazement). Priced about $1500."

Take it with a grain of salt since PowerJack has been off before, but somehow a lot of people expect the Cube to make a return somewhen because Jobs favors the cube shape (remember NeXT?). Since a 20th anniversary Mac could happen in January 2004 and since the current design flavour is aluminum, this could all point towards a 20th Anniversary Cube with an aluminum shell / acrylic with aluminum inner lining.

A 'stealth reintroduction' of the Cube as a 20th Anniversary Mac would be a clever move by Apple. If it sells well this time around, Apple could keep it in its product line. But if it still doesn't sell, Apple could always claim it was a one-off special.

Kinda makes sense, at least to me.

So maybe it's not an iMac 3 Kodawarisan's sources were talking about, but the 20th Anniversary Mac?

If it happens, I just hope Apple will price the Cube right this time...

yamabushi
Nov 12, 2003, 01:42 AM
Here is my translation for the notes regarding the iMac for Nov. 7th on Kodawarisan (some liberties taken with grammar for clarity):

Is Cube the new keyword for the iMac?
A completely new case for the iMac is said to be due to be announced at Macworld SF 2004. According to information from a resin mold manufacturer in Taiwan the completely new case is curiously different and a cube shaped iMac case is currently in production.

Sun Baked
Nov 12, 2003, 02:12 AM
Originally posted by Dreamail
Take it with a grain of salt since PowerJack has been off before, but somehow a lot of people expect the Cube to make a return somewhen because Jobs favors the cube shape (remember NeXT?). Since a 20th anniversary Mac could happen in January 2004 and since the current design flavour is aluminum, this could all point towards a 20th Anniversary Cube with an aluminum shell / acrylic with aluminum inner lining. This is coming from Jack?

I think arn has a special page for his predictions. :p

JackWhispers seems quite active lately for a retired Mac fiction writer.

---

Hopefully this doesn't tie in with Jack. :confused:

arn
Nov 12, 2003, 02:32 AM
thanks for the translations

http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2003/11/20031112032413.shtml

arn