Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iMpathetic

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 7, 2007
IMBY
Yeah...

I got another iPod touch and I wanna get all of my stuff on it. I was wondering, could I just clone the contents of one to the other? Like, with SuperDuper?

EvanLugh

macrumors 68000
Aug 29, 2007
Developer land
iMpathetic - I don't think it can be done, I would be very surprised, music, content and viewable directories of course but a full clone, I really doubt it mate.

Good luck
;)

iMpathetic

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 7, 2007
IMBY
iMpathetic - I don't think it can be done, I would be very surprised, music, content and viewable directories of course but a full clone, I really doubt it mate.

Good luck
;)

Well, I actually don't care what happens to one of them cause it's not actually mine. The owner wants hers fixed cause she pulled it out while running ZiPhone. :eek: She wants hers jailbroken, and mine is, so why not clone them?

Because the iPod touch OS is basically modified OS X, I could just connect the two to my Powerbook and clone them as I would two laptops in Target Disk mode. Theoretically.

I'll try later, I guess. Keep your fingers crossed.

EvanLugh

macrumors 68000
Aug 29, 2007
Developer land
I suppose in theory it's possible, but seems like a complicated way of fixing it. :)p)

I'm quite knowledgeable (if I may say so :eek: ) if you need any help give me a shout!

Best,
eL

EDIT: What about putting it in DFU and if you have access to a Windows computer, format it, then OSX disk utility copy? Just a thought.

iMpathetic

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 7, 2007
IMBY
I suppose in theory it's possible, but seems like a complicated way of fixing it. :)p)

I'm quite knowledgeable (if I may say so :eek: ) if you need any help give me a shout!

Best,
eL

EDIT: What about putting it in DFU and if you have access to a Windows computer, format it, then OSX disk utility copy? Just a thought.

Could you explain that last bit in idiot language?

EvanLugh

macrumors 68000
Aug 29, 2007
Developer land
I made this up, logically it will work but I've never put it to the test. I'm looking for a work around now. Don't hold me responsible, you've done this entirely at your own risk. I am English.

Sure,

getz da ipod rite, put it into da windoze PC (personal computah)

Okay,

1. Get the iPod which you gotta resurrect
2. Connect it to a windows computer which has iTunes
3. Make sure iTunes is closed
4. Hold down home and off (or whatever) READ 5 NOW
5 --- only hold off (or whatever) for 10 seconds [exactly] keep holding home
6. Windows will recognise the iPod in DFU mode
7. You should be able to go to My computer -> properties -> Device manager and see it
8. Or you can goto My Computer and see it as a disk.

READ 10 BEFORE 9

9. Right click it, format it. - *probably won't work, but might. 50-50 chance.

10. Or whilst in DFU mode don't format it, go to iTunes and restore it.
11. Go to your mac, add the iPod but don't register etc, use Disk utility to copy whichever iPod it is and try moving it over.

EvanLugh

macrumors 68000
Aug 29, 2007
Developer land
TUAW Link - Not sure if it's what you're looking for.

NTFS or FAT32
- I'd prefer to leave you to do this, this is the point where it could get fudged up. Personally, I would try the iTunes option first, if that isn't the way you want to go, NTFS it then format it in Mac and follow steps. But I can't be certain, I've never done it I'm just going on basic disk guidelines and would love for someone to correct me, but I'm 90% certain, I just don't know the effect.

PMB

macrumors 65816
Nov 7, 2007
New York
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A93 Safari/419.3)

I think you are taking a large risk here, and should just restore, and go through the jailbreaking process, instead of screwing up sompthing BIG time

imfrog2002

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2007
Isn't there a little program called Misu? *cough*

EDIT: Okay, I reread through, and I think that you'd be better off just restoring and jailbreaking...

iMpathetic

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 7, 2007
IMBY
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A93 Safari/419.3)

I think you are taking a large risk here, and should just restore, and go through the jailbreaking process, instead of screwing up sompthing BIG time

Nah, it was broken anyway.

But, I did download 1.1.4 and use ZiPhone on it. Easiest $10 I ever made. :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.