Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fuzzielitlpanda

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 24, 2008
I just went out and bought a black incase hardshell for my macbook because i wanted to keep the exterior in very good shape. The total cost came out to be $54.07 after tax.

So here is what it looks like brand new:

hardshell1.jpg

When you open up the box and take the hardshell out, this is what you will see. The red boxes show you the clips that are used to hold the hardshell onto the actual macbook:

hardshell2.jpg

hardshell3.jpg

hardshell5.jpg

Here is a close up of the installing instructions, which is very straight forward for this product :D:

hardshell7.jpg

I did notice some dust when I took the pieces out of the box, so I made sure to clean the insides of the two hardshell pieces thoroughly before I started installing it. The instructions tell you to install the bottom piece first by placing the macbook into the bottom tray, BACKSIDE in first. this is a very important step. The following pictures shows what happens if you don't put the backside in first:

hardshell12.jpg

You can see that the bottom piece doesn't quite lock in with the macbook correctly. After installing the bottom piece, this is what the top and bottom looks like:

hardshell8.jpg

hardshell9.jpg

This picture shows you how well all the ports match up with the hardshell casing:

hardshell13.jpg

Now on to the top piece. I did not want to risk scratching the top at all, so what I did was reuse the keyboard protection paper that comes when you first open a brand new macbook and placed it on the top of the laptop. Then I installed the top piece of the hardshell:

hardshell14.jpg

hardshell15.jpg

This is what the macbook looks like with both hardshell pieces on (notice in the 2nd picture how the backside looks now after i reseated the bottom piece correctly, putting the BACKSIDE in first):

hardshell18.jpg

hardshell19.jpg

hardshell20.jpg

hardshell21.jpg

hardshell28.jpg

hardshell26.jpg

Now to answer the big question about the incase hardshell: can I still angle the laptop screen greater than 90 degrees? Short answer: YES!! However, there is something you should know...

hardshell24.jpg

When you recline the laptop back to its greatest extent, the bottom of the laptop screen will touch the bottom piece of the hardshell. i don't know if this will be bad in the long run in terms of aesthetics, but so far it hasn't been a problem for me:

(I am limited to 20 images per post, so please look at my second post for the pictures of what this looks like)

Having the hardshell on the laptop did make the overall size a tiny bit bulkier. I'd say that the overall size has increased by 1-2mm. According to my scale, the laptop weighs 5lbs, which is the advertised weight of the macbook. However, it does feel SLIGHTLY heavier, but not enough to bother me. The only problem I have had is putting the laptop in my applesac sleeve. I can still put the laptop in, but it is a much tighter fit now because of the slightly larger size of the laptop.

Overall, I am very happy with this product. Like many others have mentioned, the material feels slightly rubbery, but very smooth. All the ports match up perfectly, including the air vents on the back of the macbook. I do think that the cost is a bit high, but i think it is justified because of the ease of installation and how well it protects the laptop. I hope this review helps others who are in the market for this protective case! :D

fuzzielitlpanda

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 24, 2008
Here are the pictures for the RED caption above:

hardshell25.jpg

hardshell31.jpg

You can see that the macbook still manages to fit in my applesac sleeve!

hardshell32.jpg

hardshell33.jpg

This last pic just shows that the power cable and my usb wireless mouse fits into their ports just fine!!

usb.jpg

MM07

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2008
Great posts!! I am looking into getting one of these soon. Your pics are a great help.

fuzzielitlpanda

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 24, 2008
thanks guys. i searched all over the forum for reviews of the incase hardshell, but didn't find any in depth reviews, so i decided to write my own. i'm glad that this has helped some of you and i hope it helps the mbp owners too when incase releases the hardshell for their laptops

fuzzielitlpanda

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 24, 2008
where can i get one of those? does apple sell them or wat?

You can buy them online from Apple, or directly from Incase, and perhaps in the physical stores as well.

Yes you should be able to buy them at the physical apple store, but i recommend calling ahead of time to check whether they have them in stock and in what colors. I bought mine from my local apple store and they had only 1 white hardshell. they had plenty of blacks and purples, but no reds

macrack

macrumors newbie
Mar 27, 2008
What is best about this case over the others like tech shell or speck (of which I have too) is it doesn't "creek" and it fits very well. I also have a macally soft cover which is nice and soft lined but gets a little warm underneath. The Incase version has nice ventilation. It just beats all the rest IMO. Good job OP.

Bobioden

macrumors 68000
Sep 23, 2007
Denver
Here are my pics of the Black Incase Hardshell on the Black Macbook.

Attachments

• IC1.jpg
    IC1.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 429
  • IC4.jpg
    IC4.jpg
    139.1 KB · Views: 441
  • IC5.jpg
    IC5.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 327
  • IC6.jpg
    IC6.jpg
    109.8 KB · Views: 438
  • IC2.jpg
    IC2.jpg
    126.8 KB · Views: 343

fuzzielitlpanda

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 24, 2008
looks perfect on black! maybe we can make this the official incase hardshell thread :D

just a side note: it is somewhat troublesome to remove the hardshell after install, which i think is a good thing. i really don't see any areas where dirt could seep in. it fits so tight around the case

Slothapotamus

macrumors member
Mar 17, 2008
UK
Are these available in the UK anywhere yet? Trying to find them on Google for the UK is like trying to find a needle in a haystack. They're pretty easy to find in the US though. Do Incase deliver to the UK?

alanswalker

macrumors member
Jan 16, 2008
I've had a look for these in the uk and they not avaliable.

I just ordered a speck case for almost half the price that apple sells them - mymemory.co.uk - 23£ delivered!

DaBrain

macrumors 65816
Feb 28, 2007
ERIE, PA
I've had a look for these in the uk and they not avaliable.

I just ordered a speck case for almost half the price that apple sells them - mymemory.co.uk - 23£ delivered!

For what it's worth I have read posts that people say a lot of dust and dirt gets in between the speck case and the laptop causing scratches. :eek:

alanswalker

macrumors member
Jan 16, 2008
For what it's worth I have read posts that people say a lot of dust and dirt gets in between the speck case and the laptop causing scratches. :eek:

Yeah but i cant be as much as without the case?!

Dunno for £20 its worth a try i think!

incase dont even ship to anywhere outside the us!

anirban

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2007
Houston, TX
Very informative, and thanks for the pictures. Although I do have one question- Can the mounting hooks on the side potentially scratch the macbook?

fuzzielitlpanda

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 24, 2008
Very informative, and thanks for the pictures. Although I do have one question- Can the mounting hooks on the side potentially scratch the macbook?

i don't think they will. I've taken off the hardshell twice and checked to make sure the hooks didn't scratch the mb. once the hardshell is on the laptop, it never shifts around, so the hooks will never rub against the macbook. the only way the hooks could potentially scratch the mb is if you bought a hardshell that was improperly made (i.e. there is some pointy leftover plastic on the hooks that isn't supposed to be there). even though the hardshell hooks have not scratched my mb, i still check everyday to see if the hardshell is causing any wear on the laptop.

Stokes

macrumors regular
Nov 19, 2007
Or E Gun
I've a spare battery for my MacBook. Do you guys think that taking this shell on an off much will wear it out? Do those tables look hard and brittle, such that much stress will crack them, or do they look like they have enough elasticity that repeated removal wouldn't be a problem?

Thanks for your insights... you just about have me over the edge!

fuzzielitlpanda

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 24, 2008
I've a spare battery for my MacBook. Do you guys think that taking this shell on an off much will wear it out? Do those tables look hard and brittle, such that much stress will crack them, or do they look like they have enough elasticity that repeated removal wouldn't be a problem?

Thanks for your insights... you just about have me over the edge!

I would think that constant removal/install would wear it out eventually and maybe stretch it a bit. Like I mentioned earlier, taking it off can be troublesome since it fits so tight. You really have to be careful with the little clips because if you do happen to break one, there's no way the hardshell is going to go back on. My suggestion would be to try to remove it as little as possible.

Stokes

macrumors regular
Nov 19, 2007
Or E Gun
Hey Panda,
Again, thanks for this review. This was really the topper to get me over the edge and buy this product. I picked it up at the local Apple store. I really, really like it. I didn't like the price, but I couldn't find it online any cheaper. I'm surprised that there are no discount vendors of this product, but even at the $50, I'd buy it again.

I've a white MB, so I wanted the clear or white hardshell, but my Apple store only had black and purple in stock. I've just a bit too much crimson between my shoulders and head to sport purple, so black it was.

BTW, another side benefit of this case is that it kinda mitigates the sharp shoulder of the MB, not cutting into my wrists.

radicalkat

macrumors newbie
Apr 28, 2008
Scratches?

Hey folks,

Really good stuff in this thread. I was wondering... I've read reviews of Speck and other hard cases trapping dust between the case and macbook which ends up scratching the macbook. Is there anyone out there who's had an "Incase" hard shell for a while that has experienced any trapped dust or scratching?

Thanks,
radicalkat

fuzzielitlpanda

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 24, 2008
i'm glad that you guys found the thread useful. i had the hardshell on my mb for about 2-3 weeks before i sold it. when i took it off, there was no dust or scratches anywhere on the macbook. i do believe that it depends entirely on how well you prep before install. as long as you make sure your mb is absolutely clean and also that the hardshell itself is clean and dust/dirt free, it should not damage the laptop in any way.

potkettleblack

macrumors newbie
Apr 28, 2008
Thanks for this thread!

I have a question for anyone who has used a black incase hardshell: do you have any problems with fingerprints? I am considering getting a Black MacBook but am still debating. I'm wondering if using this case also eliminates the greasiness problem of the BlackBook (that would be another point in favor of getting one). Thanks. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.