Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

samrulestothema

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 6, 2008
Hello,

Unfortunately before i start, i must admint. Im a Noob. I know very little, eg. nothing, about macs. i have a windows xp cd right beside me but am terrified of ruining my mac, so i havnt put it in yet.lol.

Could some kind person please explain to me if i need a different xp cd (in mac format) or if the cd i got for comp is same as for my mac.

Also could some one explain (if i have the right cd) where to start in installing this? a step bystep guide would be oh so helpful :D

Sam

Neil321

macrumors 68040
Hello,

Unfortunately before i start, i must admint. Im a Noob. I know very little, eg. nothing, about macs. i have a windows xp cd right beside me but am terrified of ruining my mac, so i havnt put it in yet.lol.

Could some kind person please explain to me if i need a different xp cd (in mac format) or if the cd i got for comp is same as for my mac.

Also could some one explain (if i have the right cd) where to start in installing this? a step bystep guide would be oh so helpful :D

Sam

Hi no the disk you have will do fine as it only comes in windows format,go to Finder ( square blue/white face on your dock )>Macintosh HD ( left side )>Applications >Utilities> Bootcamp Assistant,open up bootcamp assistant and follow things threw,you need to decide first how big you want your XP partition,min 5GB & decide what you want up from from that ( what apps & programs you use & how much space they take up ) id format your XP partition NTFS ( it will give you this option during the install ) before doing ANY of this when you open up bootcamp there is a option to print out the instructions,use it & you should be Ok. The instructions as well as additional help should you need it can also be found here,good luck

EDIT: you will have to buy a new XP disk if your trying to use it on two machines as its against the EULA ( these are rules ) to do with your user agreement

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.